6 week old got Coccidiosis during preventative......

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CodyAcres, Mar 15, 2009.

1. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    Little Boo is on his 5th day of the 5 day 1.5 ml Di-methox 12.5% for preventative. Mossberg is on day 5 of his 1.5 TBSP treatment for coccidiosis and seems to be over his, dry stools now.

Do I proceed on the 5 day 1.5 TBSP treatment for Little Boo now even though he has been on the preventative for nearly 5 days now?

I would assume that the answer is yes, cause he obviously needs it cured (he has runny stools this morning). But I just want to be sure.

Thanks,
    Jamie

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes continue the treatment. Did you have the stool checked by a vet to say it is cocci? If not then the runs are probably just from the medicine. I have a few that can't tolerate the meds either.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Always finish out medications.. if it is 5 day treatment ..then yes ...do the 5th day......no matter what.... After treatment ..I would give the kid probiotics ...to help get the gut back in sinc....(sp)

Personally I use corrid ...you get it from your vet....it works very quickly...for our goats.

If the kid does not stop scouring after treatment...and probotics...... then I recommend taking in a stool sample in....It may be worms ? Scours needs to be stopped as soon as possible ...dehydration can happen very quickly ....give electrolytes.... :hug: good luck

4. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    UPDATE Re: 6 week old got Coccidiosis during preventative...

What I mean is do I go up to the 1.5 TBSP treatment on the goat who has just gotten it and go for a full 5 days on the 1.5 TBSP treatment (he's been getting 1.5 cc twice per day for 5 days as a preventative, but it obviously didn't prevent it)

Thanks,
    jamie

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    start him as a treatment IF he has it. Because sometimes their little bodies just need a break and othertimes it is something else all together. BUT that said I never do a prevention type I always do treatment because you cant prevent cocci....you are just treating the low numbers of cocci in their system.

i know it is confusing but I will try to explain. Cocci is a parasite and unlike a vaccine that stays in their system for a while giving a "prevention" of cocci meds doesnt prevent cocci from entering the body at a later time because once the meds are done it isnt in their system anymore. THe idea of "prevention" is to keep a low does in their system so that it keeps killing the cocci that is always there.

My estimation of what happened is that he had a case of coccidia when you started him on the prevention dosage. It worked for a bit because the stuff does work but it wasnt a high enough dosage to get rid of it totaly hence he is still sick. I would up the dosage to the treatment and treat him for the full 5 days that way.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with stacey ...well said... :thumbup:

7. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    Thanks all for the help!! Stacey, I like your advice and will follow that and just treat it when/if it happens instead of doing the preventative. Easier that way.

Jamie

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    happy to lend a hand.