6 week-old Kid Limping

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by tremayne, Mar 7, 2009.

1. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    My daughter's new Ober buckling has been at the school farm for about a month now. He had been doing well, playing, jumping up on everything, generally being a pesky little boy. Last Monday, I noticed that he was a little "off". Not acting really sick, just quieter than the days before.

The next day, he was limping and seemed timid, like he had been frightened by something. He didn't seem to get worse, but he isn't better either. He is peeing fine, pooping okay (I never actually see him poo, but there's no diarrhea puddles in the pen and he has a very clean dry bum). He's affectionate, alert, has bright eyes, no runny nose. He just walks like he's an old man, slowly and carefully. I haven't seen him run since last Sunday.

I checked his legs all over. I don't feel any unusual swelling. There are no areas he guards, no lumps or bumps. Nothing--just a normally very active boy who walks like he's 95.

We don't know if he got stuck in something and hurt himself that way, or even if someone frightened him by playing with him too rough, or maybe even dropped him. We just don't know. everything is a guess.

We called the breeder we bought him from and asked her advice. she said to watch him for a couple of days, and if he didn't improve, give him some Banamine. My daughter is going to ask the goat adviser about that on Monday.

We're still new to goats and I've maxed out my really limited knowledge. :sigh: Are there any goat diseases that would come on so suddenly that would cause limping in a young healthy kid? Any and all advice and wisdom is welcome.

Anna

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Was his dam tested for CAE?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    he probably injured it some how...maybe not a break ...he may of sprained it or got slammed.....and it is bruised...If he is eating ...drinking....and has no temp... I would just give it time....they eventually get better....is he putting weight on it at all? If you can keep him in a smaller place so he cannot move around in big area's that will help him to heal...try to put a calm goat in with him...for company....
    if you want to give him banamine it will help.. with pain and swelling....that is up to you...can be given every 36 hours...unless prescribed differently by your vet.... If he worsens ..I would suggest taking him to a vet.....like not wanting to get up... not eating or drinking or running a high fever.........ect :hug: good luck...

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    he might have just got hit by another goat, banamine like pam said would help with the pain.

5. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    We checked on the buckling (Tristan) this afternoon. I agree, I think he got hurt. How it happened is something we'll never figure out. My daughter will ask the senior ag teacher to check him over tomorrow.

Re: CAE, yes, his dam (Ember) has been tested. The herd he and she are from is tested through WSU/WAADL. Most of the kids born there are raised on heat-treated colostrum and milk. Tristan is being raised by his mom, but he's an exception. We were buying them both and weren't able to feed a bottle baby, so he wasn't pulled.

Tristan is in a pen in the goat and sheep barn with access to a fenced open dirt area. He shares the space with his mom alone. The barn area has some widely spaced horizontal slats where he can get both front legs through. Our best guess is that he got his legs through the slats and either fell back or got frightened and twisted them.

He's bearing weight. He's walking, just slowly and with some difficulty. His front knees seem a little swollen.

Sorry for being such a worrier, but I don't just want to assume everything is okay, when it might not be. Thanks for the good thoughts and suggestions.

Anna

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    good glad to know he came from a tested herd. Sudden onset of those symptoms is a serious sign of CAE in kids.

I hope he heals up soon. You can crush up 1 81mg tablet of asprin (children's asprin) and give that to him.