The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone - I'm new here and new to raising goats this young. I have a sweet 6wk little Nigerian Dwarf buckling who has had reddish urine at least once a day for the last 4 days. He acts perfectly happy - jumps, eats, plays. There is no straining, crying, hunching while going potty. He does his business and jumps off to play with his friends. Also no fever.

He is however, a bottle baby. He is in an inside pen with 2 other similar age little boys (6wk & 14 wk). They have been inside the last few days, due to colder night temps and no herd to help keep them warm.

They have fresh water all day, whether inside or outside. They get tons of fresh timothy hay and a few hours to chew some fresh grass each day. They also get a very small amount of grain (1-2 tbsp), if any, each day. He has not had his CD&T yet as he was only 3 lbs when we got him, and he's almost 6 lbs now. Same for wormer. I know I need to go ahead and do these but I'm not sure on dosages. We're used to big ol' boer goats, so these are new to us!

Can someone please help point me in the right direction of what I can give him or be watching for? Thank you!!!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
What, exactly, is he getting in his bottle? Goat milk, cow milk, home mix, or powdered milk replacer?

Reactions: MurryMenagerie

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I’ve never heard of vigorous suckling causing red urine. Goats suckle vigorously. That’s normal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No. Only water in the bottle. Is there anything he could be eating? Is he peeing a good stream?
The grass he's eating is plain old Bermuda/st. Augustine. There's a few weeds, I'm not sure which ones. We've had boer goats for 4 years and a lamb eating the same area as the new babies.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I had that happen twice on a set of doeling twins last year. No idea which one or if each did it once. Just bloody looking urine in kennel two times and gone.

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
How much blood are you seeing? any loose minerals out?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How much blood are you seeing? any loose minerals out?
The entire puddle has a red tinge to it. Maybe a 6 inch circle.

Honestly, I haven't put out loose minerals ever. It's not something many of the local goat people in my area seem to do or be knowledgeable on. I started looking into it more when we decided to add to our herd. I've been reading about them and ordered some from Redmond. They are set to get here Friday.

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
There can be many causes for red urine, since you only feed whole cows milk we can rule reaction to replacer or feeding water in a bottle. you can take a sample to your vet and see if there are red blood cells present and go from there. Here is a pretty good red on red urine..
http://kinne.net/redurine.htm

1 - 20 of 44 Posts