6 WK Wether with bloody horn area

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by texasgoatmama, Apr 13, 2008.

  1. texasgoatmama

    texasgoatmama Guest

    Mar 28, 2008
    Could someone please tell me what is wrong with this little guy? He was disbudded when I bought him. Now, his right horn area is bloody. Is it possible that they did not do it good enough? Please help. What should I do for him?
  2. goathappy

    goathappy New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Do you think you could get a picture? does he have scurs at all? Or is he losing his horn 'caps'? My kids start to lose their horn caps around that age, and they do bleed.

  3. texasgoatmama

    texasgoatmama Guest

    Mar 28, 2008
    what are horn caps? I don't mean to sound ignorant, but these are our first goats.
  4. Di

    Di Crazy Goat Lady

    Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    As a newbie myself, I would describe a "horn cap" as kind of the "scab", imagine you have a cut or scrape and it scabs over and then couple days later the scab gets scraped off...it would be a little bloody, at least pink. That's what happens when the horn caps get scraped off. It's totally normal...nothing to worry about. As long as it's not attracting flys...you might want to put a little something on it if you have flys or gnats getting to it.
  5. texasgoatmama

    texasgoatmama Guest

    Mar 28, 2008
    Thanks for explaining that for me. All 3 of my wethers were disbudded at the same time, why is he the only one with bloody horns? I will put some neosporin or something like that on him, is that ok?
  6. Buckeye

    Buckeye Guest

    Jan 28, 2008
    When you say bloody horns - do you mean there is a horn there? Or just blood where the disbudding took place? Is he scratching at it a lot? If it is really bleeding you want to put blood stop powder on it to stem the flow of blood. Sometimes they can actually knock the scab off and spurt blood, depending on how and when they were disbudded.

    If it is just a little blood and looks a bit irritated you could spray on AluShield or BluKote (I think that is how those are spelled) to protect the area.