The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 year old boer doe that kidded last week with triplets, she had lost of thick colostrum and seemed to be doing well. After a few days, she stopped eating grain, then hay, now she won't eat fresh grass. I have given her propylene glycol (keto-plus tube), molasses, baking soda, oral selenium, vit B comples, Vit E, tube fed electrolytes into her, wetted down alfalfa pellets (shoved into her mouth, she swallowed some) to try to get some fiber in her (because now she has diarrhea). I'm pretty sure I gave her probios in there as well, but going to give her more today. I have pulled the kids because I could tell they weren't getting enough to eat and she didn't seem to have much milk, now she has mastitis, so I have treated that with masti-clear. She has also gotten oxytetracycline because she didn't clean right away. She has a huge udder for a meat goat, in my opinion, the only sign that anything was off (and I didn't think much of it until now) was that she lost some herd status leading up to kidding. She was moved to a kidding pen before kidding. What else can I do to help her? Is she just to old?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Get a temp on her. She may need antibiotics with having mastitis. I would also get a fecal, look at her eyelids at the very least and make sure they are a nice red color. With her loosing her herd status there very well could have Ben something going on before kidding, and having the kids has made it worse.
If you are not milking her out. 6 really isn’t considered old to the point of being done, but every goat is different. I would start with the temp and fecal though

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
She is definitely not too old. I strongly suspect Milk Fever from what you describe. Do you have calcium drench or calcium gluconate?

Tube at least a half gallon of electrolytes into her to battle dehydration. If she will swallow, use a large syringe or turkey baster to put as much of that alfalfa mash as you can.

Can you tempt her with cut leafy tree or pine branches?

Definitely keep up the b complex and probiotics daily. I would not use Nutridrench or Prop. glycol without confirming ketosis with ketone urine test strips.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have been tubing fluids into her, about a gallon each day. She has had oxytetracycline injectable and I just treated her with masti-clear (which is penicillin) Her temp was 103.8 the other day. Her eyelids are good.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have calium carbonate that I use for mixing my grain, could I just use that and mix it in with the alfalfa mash? Otherwise I can get a calcium drench or tube at fleet farm. I have tried to tempt her with fresh grass, I can try to get some pine branches, but as far as leaves, it's still early spring here in wisconsin.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I stripped her udder and the milk was chunky, also that half of her udder is hard and warm, the other is pretty much empty. I have milked cows in the past, so am familiar with the basic signs of mastitis.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
I stripped her udder and the milk was chunky, also that half of her udder is hard and warm, the other is pretty much empty. I have milked cows in the past, so am familiar with the basic signs of mastitis.
Okay great ! Just wanted to make sure because some folks mistake engorgement for mastitis :)

It's a hard call, I would lean towards the milk fever diagnosis (combined with the mastitis) but I suppose it could be mastititis alone causing her misery. Since she did not pass the placenta properly, tack selenium deficiency on top of all that. It sounds like you are working hard!

I'd almost be tempted to give her a Banamine injection to see if that gets her eating, pain is such an inhibition to them. Do you have Banamine on hand?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I agree with everything, and I think you are doing a great job with the antibiotics and hydration and all.

I'd keep the antibiotics, keep her milked out as much as you can, and I'd also give her dark beer. It is very digestible, has calcium, probiotics, carbs for energy...

I'm so sorry for her, and you are doing great.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I totally second the banamine! Mastitis sucks and is so very painful (I know this for a fact!). So depending on how much she is a drama queen it might make her feel better and want to eat.
Dark beer is also my go to on anything stomach related, especially goats off feed.
Another thing that is supposed to help with mastitis is vitamin C. So I would get a C pill and throw in with her alfalfa mash.
I had a alpine that had mastitis last year and I didn’t think it was all that bad of a case. She didn’t feel good and it just got worse until I finally went out there pretty much every time I had a few minutes and just kept working on getting all that crap out. It was a super long struggle but did eventually get ahead of it. At first it just seemed like a loosing battle

·
14,760 Posts
I've not dealt with mastitis (yet), but if she is still scouring you might try some Spectogard to help dry it up, it might take a few doses. I think sometimes they are really prone to gut issues after kidding, so it definitely wouldn't hurt her. Probios and B-Complex daily.
I wonder if you should use a different antibiotic like PenG? Again I don't know about Mastitis, but oxy sometimes just doesn't work, and other times it works great.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After continuing to fight with her, we decided to put her out of her misery, she didn't seem to be getting any better and was definitely in a lot of pain, and I wasn't planning on breeding her again. I didn't have the time between working full time and feeding all the rest of the goats to give her the care she would have needed to get better. I think if I would have caught the milk fever earlier, it would have been different. Thanks for all the advice though, once again, people on here are never short of helpful advice and support!

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I am sorry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts