The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so not a problem I expected to have LOL!

Dynamo is a handsome 6 month old Nubian buckling.

He's showing all the signs of rut, spraying, he's got the auto-erotica sorted shall we say, and he's all good with young wethers smaller than him, and don't even mention the big black ram, but give him a doe (herd queen, normally very, very persistent in what she wants, with to be blunt a sensual streak I would have thought would have struck love hearts off with my cuddly boy) in raging heat, two things happen:
1) she shuts up and pretends not to notice him,
2) he chews cud and ignores her in turn.

I've locked them together in a largish pen in the shed (enforced closeness wasn't my goal, but I found him 300m away from her so that's it for them tonight).

He hasn't a clue she's on heat, she's been screaming towards my bigger Xbred buck all day and Dynamo hasn't a clue. A polite cough from him would probably have her swooning at his feet but he doesn't know it.

3 Other does are basically doing the same when they cycle. He hasn't noticed.
Earlier in the year they said he was a striking and manly young chap for his age and loved his smell ... now they actually cycle and don't want him. And he doesn't even try!

I don't want to say "I'm disappointed in my dear young lad", but I will say "Gee I'm only asking for what comes naturally?", and I have personally apologised to the ladies concerned for my hand raised naive young boy's lack of action ....

Do you think he'll work it out OK soon?
Is there anything other than locking them together in the royal bedroom I can do?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Are the 3 other does fairly dominate or are they younger? It took my first buck who was very young when I got him awhile before he bred the more experienced does. First timers and second timers he had down but the others I think he was afraid to get his butt beat.
Is the older buck next door? He might also be worried he will also put him in his place. I know my little bucklings although not even close to being able to breed are chasing the moms around and the moms are putting them in their place so this might have happened to him. 6 months is still a little young. If he is showing all the signs of being manly to his buddies then he just might need a little more time. Keep trying but make sure the does are not being mean to him either. They are not going to find him near as appealing as the older buck and that might make them a little more mean towards him. So just keep a eye on the situation.
Another thought, they may not be in true heat just yet. It’s pretty early to be going into heat. Not unheard of but again I would give the situation more time before I freaked out

·
Registered
64 Posts
Are the 3 other does fairly dominate or are they younger? It took my first buck who was very young when I got him awhile before he bred the more experienced does. First timers and second timers he had down but the others I think he was afraid to get his butt beat.
Is the older buck next door? He might also be worried he will also put him in his place. I know my little bucklings although not even close to being able to breed are chasing the moms around and the moms are putting them in their place so this might have happened to him. 6 months is still a little young. If he is showing all the signs of being manly to his buddies then he just might need a little more time. Keep trying but make sure the does are not being mean to him either. They are not going to find him near as appealing as the older buck and that might make them a little more mean towards him. So just keep a eye on the situation.
Another thought, they may not be in true heat just yet. It's pretty early to be going into heat. Not unheard of but again I would give the situation more time before I freaked out
I experienced the preferred buck scenario with my does years ago. I had two bucks and the bigger one was kicking the crap out of the smaller one. I separated them, putting the smaller buck in a pen directly in front of my doe pen, the other buck to the side. The smaller buck in full view became my does immediate preference and totally rejected my bigger boy until they were in raging heat!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So in the end Leia really tried to seduce him but he wouldn't have a bar of it!

The other does are a mix of ages, 1 FF, 2 2nd's.

He has dangerously little fear of my older buck, but he's not close enough anyway ... he's within view some of the time, but not at breeding.

I'm in New Zealand so it's all good for heats ... they're well into early season at my place.

Oh well the first ones will cycle back in another few days and we'll start again.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, in fact every time one is on heat I separate them and lock them together in a pen.
The rest of the flock is on the other side of a rail fence at that point.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
New Zealand, nice!

I am wondering if perhaps he has had a great butt and is not too eager to get another one? As for the does, they generally prefer the best party, which is the full grown buck, no matter how closely related.

In my flock, I also sometimes saw a rare case of falling in love, that was obvious. I can imagine that the opposite could occur.

Take care, that the full grown does do not butt the senses out of him during the night.

True, in my flock I also saw a couple of bisexual does. When somebody else was in heat, they were in the middle of the buck flock, making fl-fl-fl and all. But when in heat themselves ... Oh, forget that! Only the flock king would do. So far I have not heard of any homosexual buck, but why not? Such things ought to happen once in a while.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Try to change things around. If you are hand breeding, meaning only putting does in when they are in heat, try getting a doe or two, that are very docile and won’t beat him up, and leaving in with him. Maybe he will start to become friendly with them and see that they will not harm him. But there are bucks out there that simply do not breed does for one reason or another. This is hard for me to really see as possible because I’ve only ever had bucks with a one track mind but I have heard of it happening. But I would try that and if he still doesn’t get it then I think I would be a bit worried. With him being “friendly” with the boys he isn’t sickly or mineral deficient or anything like that, he is for whatever reason just simply not wanting to breed does. So hopefully with him living with a few he will get comfortable with them and do what he needs to do

·
Registered
609 Posts
Are your does Nubians also ? If so then they are or should be like the deer or the red stags. Only come into heat once a year and only during the fall months usually Sept-Jan. I don't know what time of the year you guys there have your red stag breeding season but they should be somewhat close to the same time wise. So I would place the young man you want to do the breeding in with the girls and remove the older buck to some place totally out of the way so they loose interest in him and let nature take care of things. You will be able to see the ladies when they come into heat with all the tail wagging and lovely singing going on. I bet you will be surprised! My young buck last year was 7 months old in September and bred 2 older 5F and 4 2nd F with out any issues and yes he is a Nubian buck breeding Nubian does.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Lovely singing ... (rofl) Are you including the small, friendly touches with horn ends, that some does give their selected breeding buck? BANG!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
3 of the 4 does are in with him all the time in a large browse range, they are a comfortable flock.

The 4th is still with the other flock due to closer than usual emotional attachments there.

Either way, when one is on heat, she is locked in the shed with Dynamo.

They're all pretty great with him, he's a sheltered "Mummy's boy", we carefully integrated him visit by visit to the girls to break the ice without him getting beaten up.

There's a lot of investment here financially and emotionally. He's had fights with the girls, of course, we all know goats! But he's had no more than one or two real hits, and he actually is more a bully to the girls than anything!! He rams ladies in the neck to tell them to leave him alone and constantly pushes and shoves.

Not (Never!) hard, not even really to an unfriendly strike, just ... unnecessarily assertive.

Breeding season normally runs January-August, although I usually only get March-august, and my first heat this year was early march or perhaps late February, I would have to check. Most started mid march.

I'm seeing good chances sooner or later one of the girls (who all think he's kind of cute, manly for his age, and smells nice, albeit the pesky ADHD behavior is unhelpful, and there's a MUCH more Manly Guy over there 100m away ...) will desperately seduce him and give him the ABC ...

I'm counting (from my memory) that sperm take 72 days to mature ... well he started first 'rut' symptoms maybe 65 days ago, so I'll just take a chill pill for now and assume my boy will work it out.

I'm pretty sure most goats are Bi ... although all degrees and behaviors do exist ... some of the things Leia tried surprised me ... she took my blunt verbal advice to entice a young lad rather literally and although she and he clearly told me he didn't go there I'm sure she'll manage him next time!

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
If he is in with the Doe's 24/7, it may cause boredom.
I would remove him for 2 weeks or so, or when one comes in, then put them together. When he see's and smells the Doe, he should be very interested in her by then.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
When I first read your post I though, duh, it's April, but then you pointed out you are in the Southern Hemisphere. I think the main problem is your buck's age. I've successfully used 5 month old bucks, but the degree of difficulty is higher. I agree with what has already been said. The buck is intimidated and the does aren't taking the young buck seriously. My experience is does often will prefer one buck over another if they even *think* they have a choice. If it's possible, remove the choice of the other buck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts