6wk old buckling sick

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by newmama30+, Mar 9, 2011.

1. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    Last night I got side tracked and didn't get out to the barn until around 1am to bottle feed Sunshine her night time bottle, well her brother who we haven't been bottling because he seems to get enough from running from one doe to another nursing off of everyone, wanted a drink I gave him one as he's on Nuflor for Pneumunia, anyhow I turned away to check on another kid and when I turned back he was flat out on the floor, he does seem dehydrated, but to go from wanting to eat and play to flat out in a matter of seconds? I have tubed him twice, once with coffee and liquid sugar, that was last night. Then I tubed him with 30cc of Mollassas water this morning, I also gave him 18cc's of Fortified Vit B. His temp was normal when I took it. Any Ideas? Anything I missed?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Do you think.. he was slammed ?

Did he get back up right away ...or was he not able to?

Is he ... acting unusual in any way ...staggering ect?

3. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    he was flat out on his side, he was having problems breathing and couldn't stand, so I brought him into the house, now he stands in one spot and screams with his head pulled around to his right side. it is possible that he did get stepped on, or bowled over, but I had turned my back to him to look the other direction.

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    He walks in circles, always to the right, he is drooling, but he doesn't have a fever, that could be because of the antibiotics for the Pneumonia. i gave him 18cc of Vit B earlier, and just went ahead and gave 2cc pen g now and another 12cc Vit B. He seems to kind of come around right after the Vit B but that could just be from getting stuck cause it doesn,t last long

6. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I am almost 100% sure your baby has listeriosis, at least from the circling and drooling you are describing. He needs massive doses of antibiotics such as PenG to survive. It is caused by bacteria... However, Polio is sometimes mistaken for listeriosis and vice versa, so it is best to treat for both at once since the thiamine won't hurt him. He'll need massive doses of thiamine and b-complex to survive polio.

http://www.goatworld.com/articles/listeriosis/

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If you would feel better ...to take him to the vet... please do so..... :hug: :pray:

8. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    He's doing much better today, he's up and walkin, albeit its in a circle still, but he can straighten his head out so he can look forward. He even drank part of a bottle today so i didn't have to tube him. Its small steps but in the right direction.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am glad ..there is some improvement...that is a plus......keep up the treatment ....I will be praying ....that he will get through this ordeal....... :hug: :pray:

10. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    Yesterday I didn't give the Vit B or Pen G to him in the morning to see how he'd do, well his brain swelled and he went weak on his right side couldn't even hardly open his right eye by about 9 o;clock last night, so I ended up giving him 24cc of vit b, 2cc of Pen G, and .5 cc of dex for the swelling, when we got up this morning he's up walking, talking, and was looking for a bottle, even drank some water, he's even walking in a straight line for the first time in 4 days, I think I will take him to the vet tomorrow though just to make sure I am really on the right track....but he totally freaked me out last night.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh No....how scary... :( glad he snapped back out of it....it is a good idea to have the vet look at him.... I agree there.... I am praying that he will be OK.... :hug: :pray:

12. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    I hope he'll be okay too, my son choose him as his own within a day of him being born, he loves him to death...so he's supposed to go live at my Dad's house as soon as he's weaned, and banded....Don't know if I could handle telling my son that yet another one of his "pets" didn't make it...unfortunately I have had to say it quit a few times this winter....and it sucks then he insists on going and making sure I didn't make a mistake, then the tears and those can last for days and its my fault....he's four so in his mind if I can't make it better then I didn't do everything I could, cause ya know mommy can do anything, I love this age and yet it makes somethings so much harder, I get it, it just doesn't make it any easier.

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh yeah, dont stop the antibiotics for 5 days, it's critical he gets all of them

14. Dodge 'Em

Dodge 'Em New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Cedar Hill,TN
    I have lost a couple to listeriosis (had necrops done on them). I raised a couple of white tail deer on bottles. One came up (at about 2 months old) and she was doing circles, only to the left. I thought "Oh crap, Im going to loose her too." I thought, if she is going to die, its not because I didnt try. I gave her enough Pen 48 for a 1,000 pound bull (she might have weighed 25 pounds). Gave that to her for 5 days.....Zoe is now going on 2 years old. I'm not saying you should OD your kid on Pen G, but I do think that is what saved Zoe. I have read that you really have to hit the anti's hard to save one. If you have a good goat vet, I think I would take him in to see them.