7 1/2 week old doeling.... IN HEAT??????

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by myfainters, May 7, 2010.

1. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Is it possible for a 7 1/2 week old doeling to be in heat? Her tail is a little messy and she is wagging at the boys.... her brother and my 4 week old buckling are chasing her around everywhere and she does stop and try to stand for them???????? Is it possible for a goat to come into estrus this young? :whatgoat: Geez this year all of my kids are maturing SUPER early.... almost all of my bucklings started extending at 5 weeks old and now a doeling in heat???? What the heck is going on over here????? :GAAH: :hair:

2. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    LOL What is going on over there?!

3. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    There seems to be too much of that going around, premature sexual development in human kids and other species as well, not just goats. Research scientists have attributed this to a wide array of endocrine disrupting chemicals being released into the environment and contaminating common resources (e.g. air, soil, water and food supply). Culpable agents include synthetic hormones in milk products; pesticides from the past as well as the present, the antibacterial in your soaps, the microban in your socks, etc. Studies show these now common environmental contaminants are ubiquitous and that they are also emasculating species (e.g. alligators, frogs, big cats), turning males into females and vice versa. :shocked: Scarey stuff!

Deb Mc

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep...;your baby is growing up too fast! My little pygmy Heidi is now 2 years old and she had her first heat at 8 weeks, poor baby had no idea what was going on..all she did was scream and flag her tail!

5. Plumbago

Plumbago New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    definitely can come into heat --- you need to separate them otherwise possible a trama on the horizon.... I have had a kid at three months fall pregnant ... buck jumped the fence and mated her ...