The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what we were thinking, but... we have 7 does due in February. I really don't like kidding more than 5 as it'll really stress us for space, but pray I don't lose my mind lol!
They are all fullblood Boer does.

2/5 = Aspen & Willow
2/7 = Rose & Amara
2/11 = Ariel & Rory
2/16 = Mindy

They were all bred to my daughter's young Boer buck who just recently turned a year old.

Took them out for a walk for a while as it was gorgeous today, but was so shocked how brown and dead all the grass is! Usually there is more green. The deep freeze really killed everything off.

Willow - 3rd pregnancy (twins/triplets), She just turned 4yo.
Goat Terrestrial animal Ear Snout Livestock

Vertebrate Goat Mammal Dog breed Plant

Sheep Plant Goat Grass Fawn

Aspen - 3rd pregnancy (triplets/quads), she is almost 4yo, and one I worry about with multiples...
Grazing Plant Terrestrial animal Working animal Dog breed

Fawn Grass Terrestrial animal Dog breed Grassland

Rose - First pregnancy, turned 2yo today! She is Willow's daughter. Can't see an udder, but you can feel the start of one.
Vertebrate Plant Mammal Natural landscape Grass

Amara - First pregnancy, will be 2yo in March. No udder yet but may have felt some kid movement when we were trimming her feet.
Plant Tree Grass Terrestrial animal Working animal

Ariel - First pregnancy, will be 2yo in February. She looks slightly more pregnant than Rose, but definitely has an udder. I could NOT get a good picture of her other than her udder pic lol! So here is one from September
Hair Head Eye Goat Plant

Grass Fawn Terrestrial animal Grassland Grazing

I'll add Rory and Mindy next since it only allows 10 pictures at a time.

Attachments

15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rory - First pregnancy, also turned 2yo today! She is a sweet girl, but hard to get pictures of! So here is one from the spring and an udder pic from today.
Plant Goat Grass Fawn Sheep

Working animal Mammal Fawn Plant Sheep

Mindy - 4th pregnancy (twins/triplets/triplets), almost 5yo. She is my baby and honestly didn't want to breed her because I get really paranoid with her and last year we had some issues. She is such a good mom, but again, I can not help but be very paranoid about her. Last year I thought I was going to lose her. She was prolapsing a bit and shavings were sticking to it and I was worried about her getting a bad injury so I induced her to kid a bit early and her water broke before she was fully dilated, thankfully was able to get her opened up and get the kids out and save all 3, but that was so stressful, then thought she was dying the next morning, instead she was severely exhausted and dehydrated from trying to get her placenta out, so that was another issue. So yeah... I am very paranoid. Praying she isn't an overachiever and decides that having 2 happy, healthy, average size kids is the way to go!
Eye Grass Terrestrial animal Snout Grassland

I didn't get an udder pic. She is dealing with mites, had no idea as there was no hair loss until I trimmed her feet and felt the scabs and worked all day to get them off. She's never had issues with mites that I can recall. Her udder is starting to fill out a bit. She usually gets a very big udder.
Grass Working animal Fawn Dog breed Natural landscape

I'll try to get better pictures later. Look how brown everything is though...so eerie.

15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Everyone! Praying for twins! So far Rose and Rory don't look like they have a lot of baby in there, BUT... I know how well they can hide them!
Willow and Aspen have me worried for multiples. Mindy I'm hoping will just have twins and not try to be an overachiever!
My daughter wants a pair of bottle babies she can bring in the house and I am like... Nooooooo! Sure they are cute and all, but last winter and spring we got slammed with bottle 'brats.' The tight schedule and keeping them healthy those first couple of weeks is one thing, but milk prices are insane right now.

15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Big beautiful girls 😍
Mindy has interesting horns… makes her stand out 😊
Good luck kidding 🍀🍀🍀
Mindy is an interesting goat all together, those horns go well with her personality! I do love her horns though. I always thought her horns came from her sire, but I think they may be a mix of sire/dam. We just sold her dam over the summer, she is also the dam of Aspen. She is a normal weight 200lb doe, but both Mindy and Aspen - by different sires are smaller does around 160-170lbs. normal weight.
Mindy's sire was over 300lbs.
Head Plant Eye Sheep Goat

It will be so weird kidding this season without this girl, but she's only an hour away. She gave us some really nice kids over the years.
Goat Terrestrial animal Goat-antelope Sheep Snout

15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks! The girls were stuck in the barn today as we had flooding rains overnight last night through early afternoon. Thankfully the creek behind our kidding barn didn't flood (well it did in the back of our property), there was a lot of standing water and water did get in around their lounging area doors as we didn't close them last night, but it would have still gotten in with the way it was raining and storming. So they were not happy this morning that part of their bedding in their favorite sleeping area was wet. We'll tweak the issue so that it doesn't happen again! Problem #1 being the gravel behind the barn is taller than the barn floor as the barn settled from constant use after we built it, and have stall mats on it whereas the gravel behind the barn didn't settle in as well. We need to put some kind of thin wood on the inside of those doors to keep rain from seeping through the gaps. It was definitely crazy though, we had over 3" of rain and apparently could get another 1/2" tonight into tomorrow...ugh. But at least I got the doors closed tonight and no water in the barn. Hopefully they can all get outside tomorrow afternoon for a bit. I don't like them all being stuck inside so much.

I have 5 due March 3 , 4th, 5th and two on the 9th
Very exciting! Won't be too much longer now! I like March kids, usually the weather tends to be slightly better for us than February.

· Registered
4,557 Posts
Thanks! The girls were stuck in the barn today as we had flooding rains overnight last night through early afternoon. Thankfully the creek behind our kidding barn didn't flood (well it did in the back of our property), there was a lot of standing water and water did get in around their lounging area doors as we didn't close them last night, but it would have still gotten in with the way it was raining and storming. So they were not happy this morning that part of their bedding in their favorite sleeping area was wet. We'll tweak the issue so that it doesn't happen again! Problem #1 being the gravel behind the barn is taller than the barn floor as the barn settled from constant use after we built it, and have stall mats on it whereas the gravel behind the barn didn't settle in as well. We need to put some kind of thin wood on the inside of those doors to keep rain from seeping through the gaps. It was definitely crazy though, we had over 3" of rain and apparently could get another 1/2" tonight into tomorrow...ugh. But at least I got the doors closed tonight and no water in the barn. Hopefully they can all get outside tomorrow afternoon for a bit. I don't like them all being stuck inside so much.

Very exciting! Won't be too much longer now! I like March kids, usually the weather tends to be slightly better for us than February.
I didn't even have to shut mine in. The rain was lava here today. My mini stud was in his attached run and the winds picked up and the rain came down sudden and at an angle. He ran back to his shelter stall like he was being chased by a monster. He even had his rain sheet on today for this reason lol

15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn't even have to shut mine in. The rain was lava here today. My mini stud was in his attached run and the winds picked up and the rain came down sudden and at an angle. He ran back to his shelter stall like he was being chased by a monster. He even had his rain sheet on today for this reason lol
Lol!!! Smart guy!! Our goats won't come out in it, but they will stand at the doorway and yell lol! Our kidding barn doors face east/west and almost everything comes at us from the west, not always, but most of the time and that is the back of our barn where 5 of these girls stay. We have some recips in the barn in stalls (we currently have the stall dividers out so they have a big area). We have 2 that should be due end of March on one side and 2 others we just implanted embryos in a couple of weeks ago on the other side. They were dry and happy! Even though the barn aisle did get wet from those front/east doors being open.
The old barn - front faces south and gets a lot of the weather.
Mindy and Aspen currently stay in one side of the old barn since they bully the younger bred does, and they were dry and happy. I'm hoping in another week or so we can start moving the recips out of the kidding barn and into the old barn, and get Mindy and Aspen into stalls in the kidding barn - turned out during the day/in at night or bad weather.

· Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
9,393 Posts
I usually dig a small ditch ,like a mini moat, around all my buildings. It just helps the drainage. When we used to get rain that is. Its been a long time since bv weve had any rain. If you can get those pull down shades off of wrecked campers. They are great to attach to your barn, over your doors. That way you can leave the doors open, and have a pull down shade, the goats can walk under.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts