7 mo buckling that thinks I am "his kind of pretty"

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by Stephenie, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Stephenie

Stephenie New Member

Jul 2, 2019
    Billings, MT
    Judd is a 7 mo Boer buckling. Bottle raised. New to me last month. As I said in the heading he thinks that I am his kind of pretty. He will start blubbering and trying to rub his leg on me when he gets "in the mood" I have not witnessed anything aggressive during these times and only once has he reared at me and I was on the other side of the fence about to feed his grain and I waited until he had four on the floor and was standing still and he got his grain and since that day he gets excited at grain time but will always back away from the gate for me to put it in with him. I honestly have tried to just not go in with him at all and have locked him in another pen when it is time to do anything in his pen and it has been working until yesterday when he got lovesick again.
    I have not had a ton of bucks but all the ones that I have had have never tried any of their moves on me. I like him and want to be careful to do nothing to encourage his behavior but I also don't want to do anything to make him aggressive.
    I am not planning on breeding him until the end of October and am not sure how to handle him until then and once breeding season is here for me, what would be the safest way to get him with the does. Last year I just caught the does as they came into heat and they spent 1-2 nights with the buck and and I only had 1 that I had to put in twice. I was hoping to do that this year but am unsure if I can handle dealing with him by myself. My husband is only home for a week a month so I can't count on him to be around to save me if something happens.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Does he have a buddy?

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. Stephenie

Stephenie New Member

Jul 2, 2019
    Billings, MT
    He currently does not, he is still in quarantine.

4. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I had a buck that would do that with me last year, and with the suggestion of others on here I got a spray bottle and he got sprayed in the face every time he tried to flirt. It took a couple of days but it started to work and he stopped the blubbering and all.

If the spray bottle doesn’t work, you might want to think about a cattle prod. Do you have a wether friend that could go in with him if he’s lonely?

5. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Mine did that, and I didn’t know any better before I joind TGS. I let him rub his head on me, and he thought it was great. He wasn’t aggressive at all, but thought I was a great goat girl. Except then it got annoying, really annoying! (Who likes to get peed on???) Once I realized that I had made a mistake by letting him do this, I stopped touching his head during rut, and used the spray bottle as described, and a riding crop when it got too cold for spraying water. It was corrected very quickly! I could still handle him, but I avoided spending time with him close up. I only pet him when not in rut now.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    When it gets cold enough for the water in the spray bottle to freeze you can just use salt water instead. Doesn’t freeze usually.

8. Stephenie

Stephenie New Member

Jul 2, 2019
    Billings, MT
    OK, I have tried the spray bottle for the last couple of days and this morning he just stood there looking at me then was trying to catch the water in his mouth. I wasn't sure if I should laugh or be irritated :) Right now all I have that could go in with him are the 2 bucklings that are for sale and I don't want to put them in with him while he is in quarantine, then I feel like I may have to quarantine them. His pen is also the only one that I have set up so that I don't have to go into it to put feed in the feeders and I don't want to have to go in with him until we get his brain to override his hormones right now.
    So, is there some trick with the spray bottle or just a plain spray bottle with water?
    Thanks!

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  9. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    My spray bottle wasnt a gentle mister. Mine is about a foot long and the water streams out with power. It makes mine back up to catch their breath. I only pet my bucks from his shoulders back. I use harsh words when I spray them. Please remember..they can get up to 300 lbs due to the breed.

NDinKY and MadHouse like this.
  10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Yes, get the strongest one you can find, like a super soaker water gun force of spray. No nice little mist but a blast of water right in the face. They don’t like it at all.

12. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Ok. So I dont know if this counts. With my fellow deer male I actually use a spray with pepper in it. It burns his nose.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Pepper spray is too dramatic.

14. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Lol. No. Water and peper mixed. It dilutes the pepper. You also add some vinager. It gives them the sneezes forv35 seconds. Yes I timed it. No damage to them just an eritation

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh my thank goodness, LOL. :hide::haha:

16. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Ibwould never pepper spray any animal unless it was barreling down on me.

17. Stephenie

Stephenie New Member

Jul 2, 2019
    Billings, MT
    OK, so I'm not able to find a better spray bottle than the ones that I have already tried. He was born into a family that showed and I believe that between bathes and being a bottle baby that the water trick may not work. However, in my typical "AHHH HAAA" moment that comes too late, I figured that I would try our pig paddle. I had to slap him with it about 4 times and he did a little "what the crap was that!" jump and stood on the other side of his pen. Hopefully it will keep working! I took it in with my sale bucklings and they all got one little swat with it and gave me lots of room. So hopefully it will keep working!

MadHouse, Moers kiko boars and NDinKY like this.
  18. Stephenie

Stephenie New Member

Jul 2, 2019
    Billings, MT
    I know that he should end up pretty large that is why I am wanting to get everything under control before he ends up too large for me to handle.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  19. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I agree ! When they are young & cute..that's hard to remember sometimes! Sounds like your pig paddle is working. Good idea!

MadHouse likes this.
  20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California