7 week old doe w/ DIAGNOSIS..LAST POST

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by liz, Apr 7, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I gave her 3 cc of M.O.M. yesterday, as the dose for an adult pygmy is 2 oz. I did not offer her grain last night but some dry oatmeal and she always has hay and water available. I fed and milked this morning and she nibbled at grain where the day before she got the runs she was butting everyone out of the pan, being a piggy. I had figured she had too much grain and all the fresh green grass thats available was just too much for her, the 6 other kids are just fine though, bouncing around and making baby berries. Her temp is 101.7 and I gave her 2 pumps of Nutri Drench a few minutes ago, tried a bottle of probiotics/ electrolytes and she didn't want it though she does want to nurse from her mom. They are due to be womed today as they are leaving Sunday, should I wait til the runny poop clears up or should I go ahead and worm her. I don't want to put too much into her now with what She has already gotten and should I give her another dose of M.O.M? This poo is stinky too.

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Re: 7 week old doe w/ scours

I thought Milk of Magnesia encouraged movement while Pepto Bismol slowed it down?
    Maybe Cocci- that would seem more like a problem for a 7 week old than worms?

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I didn't have any pepto and I know that MOM will not give her diarhea but will help getting the bad stuff out of her. If it is cocci why are my other kids perfectly healthy?

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca

Every one reacts differently- some just are more sensative or less resistant. But of course I have no idea for sure- just guesses-I can't see what is going on so I would certainly defer to your observations. But cocci scares me- I have a friend that was taking care of over twenty kids for someone when they started getting diarrhea one after the other and most died because my friend was inexperienced with goats and the vets refused to come out for animals that weren't her own. Eventually she thought to take a fecal into the vets office and it was cocci. Most died for something that could have been prevented. My babies are on cocci preventative until they are 5 months or so.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I would wait on the worming. I don't think she has cocci (of course anything is possible) due to her being so healthy.

Give her a day to regulate and then worm her. Wait and then see how she is. You need to take care of all the possibilities before doing meds. But you know that :D

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Thank you both! She was very healthy up to yesterday with the diarreah, her new mommy was even here Saturday to play with them...everyone else is fine which is what puzzles me. I have dealt with Cocci with Chief last year, and he always ate like there was no more coming to him, this little girl just wants mommy, and has no appetite for grain so for now I will just make sure she is drinking and will keep an eye on her with the hope that she stops the messy poops soon. I do have Albon, but don't want to get too much into her at the moment as far as remedies go.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

NEW DEVELOPEMENT!! Can she bloat at 7 weeks old? I pick her up and feel and hear liquid sloshing in her belly! Will baking soda help??

She has been crying for her mom but won't go and join the herd. I cannot feel ANY rumen movement or hear any noises. Her belly is round and soft, not hard and she has not pooped the last 3 hours.

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Re: 7 week old doe w/ scours..another developement!!!!

Yes- sloshy belly is bloat in babies. Can you get some baking soda or therabloat into her asap?
    Pepto helps with baby bloat too. But I would think that your idea of getting things moving with MOM was not a bad thing. Getting her moving around can help too.

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Thank you...how much soda for her? She did poop and has been sipping water...her poo was like toothpaste but brownish and at the end more liquid like. She is alert and will "join" the herd but as soon as she gets to them she lays down. Was nibbling at grass but now just lays and breathes like it hurts her to, almost like she's holding her breath. She gets up again and starts to play head butt with her sisters?????? Obviously she has me totally puzzled, I want to treat the diarrhea and obvious problem with her belly but her actions have me wondering. :shrug:

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

OK...UPDATE! She is still not totally herself, she still has the runs, though there are some lumps in it. It looks like hersheys syrup!! She had the dose of baking soda, which I found in my vet book as 1 tsp. per 20 lbs...she got a fingerful...she is nibbling hay and still wants to nurse. In my experience with cocci, the runs were green and not stinky..this little girl STINKS!

I just got back from getting pepto, should I dose her now with it and will it cause a problem with the baking soda she had today? HOW MUCH??? My vet book doesn't have a dosage for pepto!

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

BUMP!!!

12. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

I would go ahead and give Pepto. I just give them as much as I can fit in a syringe. So it depends I guess. I would say about 3cc's. You may should look at the dosing instructions. I would try to get more baking soda down her a tsp. doesn't sound like much to me - could be wrong though.

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Would the BS and Pepto at the same time be a bad thing or just get the pepto in her tonight and give BS in the morning?

14. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

I don't know... I would probably give the Pepto and 30 minutes later give the baking soda? I wouldn't have thought about them not working if you gave them together.

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I gave her the 3cc of pepto which she was not too happy about. I also got about the same amount of water into her. She still has the runs and is peeing so I hope she comes around. If she shows no improvement in the next day I will start the Albon and will get the decctomax to treat the other kids as a preventive. I really am at a loss, I HAVE NEVER HAD A KID SICK BEFORE IN 6 YEARS OF BREEDING...FRUSTRATING!!

16. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina

Liz have you ever used Spectam scour halt? It treats scours caused by e-coli. I treated jesse with it when she was little per my mentors advice. E-coli causes stinky scours.

17. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

I was thinking E-Coli as well. But aren't those poops like orange?

18. SouthernSky

SouthernSky New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Orangeburg,SC

I hope that she starts getting better for you soon.

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I gave her another dose of pepto when I milked this morning, she's standing huddled with her sisters and nibbling on hay, she does nurse, at this point unless she gets better by 2 this afternoon when I get home, I'll start her on the Albon, though I just don't understand why none of the other kids are sick. Didn't get a temp this morning, I'm running a bit late.

20. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I left work to change and check her ...on my way to hospital as my mom is in Congestive heart failure...I wouldn't be any good at my job waiting to heaer from my sis,