7 week old not right

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by liz, May 9, 2010.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Angels doeling Peaches is all fluffed up, wanting to be held, eating and nursing but not herself. Poop normal, no snotty nose but her temp is 104...her sister is fine, eating and playing and her temp is 103.5..... Baby Peaches is shivery, should I start her on Pen til I talk to the vet tomorrow? She's 14 pounds so I would go with the 1cc per 10 lbs right?

2. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Can she walk normally or is her locomotion affected? Shivering at 104 could be a sign of neurological issues if no other symptoms are present... I would talk to the vet before administering possibly unnecessary medication if there's no sign of bacterial infection... How long has she been like this?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the shivering could be from the fever. Personally when a kid gets a 104 temp there is a good chance of infection and since pen isnt something you can OD her on I would give her a shot this evening just to get it started and see how she reacts to it by tomorrow and then you will know if you need more advise from the vet or if you have it under control.

yah you can do 1cc per 10lbs

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She's normal with her walking etc... Just started today, she was playing and running yesterday. The weather has been crappy here the last few days, went from 80* Thursday to wind and rain Friday not getting out of the 50's...cold last night and toinite as well in the 30's.
    Pen is what I have on hand and will it still be ok to give since she's also on DiMethox for cocci p[revention?

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup its ok to give the pen as well to her and I personally would if it was my kid.

I know all about the weather changes - we have it here too :/

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you... heading up in a few to give her the owie!

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Gave her 1.5cc Pen as well as took a bottle with warm electrolyte water in it...Shot was easy, she greedily nursed her mom, and took about 2oz from the bottle. Eating hay and went to the dish of BS, I also took her temp again...104.6! Scared me seeing it go higher, I am praying the Pen works.
    She's not "acting" sick, other than being fluffed up and not herself. She is eating hay, nursing and pooping pellets.

8. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    A 104 temp wouldn't shock me right now on my goats, it hit 100 degrees today.. but if it's below 50 where you are, then yes, that's alarming. Some animals have the inborn survival instinct of not showing weakness when ill or injured to avoid being an easy target for predators- but you'd think something would be off in her mucous membranes or stool... are her lymph nodes swollen?

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Her lids and mouth are pink, no swelling anywhere either.

They've all been on hay the last few days due to the rain...I'm not fond of letting them out to browse on wet grass when it's chilly, babies are still low enough to the ground to get wet and chill so when it's icky out they stay in the pen with the others with full hay racks.

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Honestly I think antibiotics were the right thing, sorry I didn't see this post. Weather has been terrible and I have several goats on antibiotics right now for respiratory things. :(

Hope your girl feels better soon. :hug:

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thanks Ashley... She and her sister are snuggled up with mom right now...I just hope the Pen works to bring her temp down. Supposed to get down to 28* tonite and I truly hope she'll be ok. Wierd though because she's not doing the stuff that sick kids will do like droopy ears, off feed etc, she's just all fluffed up and not bouncy. I hope I caught it quick !

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sometimes the only signs of silent pneumonia are elevated temp and it can be rarely caught in time if you arent really paying attention. I do believe you did the right thing and you caught it early

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with everything....great advice given.. :thumb:

I hope your little one ....will feel better tomorrow.... :hug:

14. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Oh Liz....so sorry to read that your baby isn't feeling well :hug: ......this darn weather is just awful! It was extremly windy cold and wet here Friday and Saturday after being in the 80's last week....I didn't even let the boys out for 2 days....now we woke up to heavy frost this morning and didn't think to cover garden last nite....arrrhhhhh! Praying your baby bounces back fast!

15. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    How's she doing Liz?

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Liz, I hope you will have good news for us.

I tell you this weather is going to drive me crazy. I do not mind the snow, but not when it is 75 one day and a snow storm a couple days later. It is amazing we have not seen more animals that are really sick.

It was 75 yesterday and by Wednesday they are saying we could get 2 FEET :sigh: of snow. NNNOOOOOOO<, my son is coming in.

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :hug: Thank you all for your concern.
    I went up this morning, gave everyone breakfast, checked her temp...it was 102.5 :clap: I gave her the 2nd Pen shot, as well as her DiMethox and she went running out to lay in the sunshine with her sister.
    Before I left this morning, I watched her butt heads with Penny and Uno, nursed mom and seemed normal.
    This evening, she was up on her hind legs wanting me to give her lovin's and hold her...she didn't do that at all yesterday so I know she's feeling much better today.
    She'll get the pen another 3 days to continue the course.
    It is to rain again tomorrow night with the temps in the 40's so I really hope she can acclimate to the change once again :sigh:

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats great news -- so glad you gave the pen. I do believe your quick action in noticing the subtle changes made a big difference

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I think so too.... I am a very attentive person when it comes to my kids...with people, not so much!
    I'm glad I gave the Pen too, otherwise I don't think her temp would have come down the way it did.