The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had scared goats/kids but not one that bites you when you touch her head or neck. She will take stance and snort. She is a 7 week old Nigerian. I know she is scared. I just picked her up Saturday. My daughter was holding her on her lap and if her hand even went in front of her face she would try and bite. I left her alone for a couple of days and was holding & petting her today & she tried to bite again. Any have this issue with such a young one?:confused:

·
Registered
29,897 Posts
Thats a first for me...is she disbudded, perhaps her head still tender...try avoiding touching her head..keep the petting from her neck down until she trust you

·
208 Posts
She is scared of her new surroundings, and so far humans have just hurt her (disbudding, tattoo etc.)

Spend as much time with her as you can. Keep some cookies ( I use Stouffer's animal crackers) in your pocket so you can reward good behavior. An ear pinch, or a very gentle swat on the nose can redirect her, but not too often or you're just being a hurting human again.

With kindness and rewards, she'll be fine in a few weeks. I got a 3 year old doe last year, raised by other goats and very aggressive to humans. With 6 months of daily attention, she's as sweet as can be now :)

It will be a lot of time and work, but in the end you'll have a great and gentle goat!

·
Banned
988 Posts
I had a lil buckling once that when you would pick him up he would get upset an try to bite whatever he could reach. He was a sweetheart on the ground an loved attention an tbe petted but if you picked him up he would get ya!! Not sure if that. He grew out of it so to speak cause he got too big to pick up :D. Maybe she will calm down as she adjust to her new place an keep fingers outta her reach till she does lol!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts