8/1/08 The proper way to handle milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by StaceyRosado, Jul 31, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ok so I read a lot, "it wont taste goaty if handled correctly"

Well how is that helpful if someone has no idea how to properly handle the milk?

This bothers me and I had to bring attention to it an try to have some answers available to people.

Please elaborate on what you do to ensure yummy tasting milk.

Also hillarious stories of milk gone bad are welcome :wink:

I will move this thread to the dairy diaries and make it a sticky (oh my, yes I will allow a sticky! :shocked: -I hate stickys but for this I will make an exception )

2. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i take 4 buckets to the milk stand
    1 bucket is empty
    1 bucket has hot soapy water in it (antibacterial soap)
    1 bucket has feed in it
    (last and most important)
    1 bucket has a glass jar in an ice bath with a metal strainer

ok
    i went and bought a large (? 2gal ?) glass jar with a lid with a gasket
    i also bought a metal strainer that you would use in a coffee pot

i put the glass jar in a bucket with the strainer in the opening
    then i put 2 trays of ice in the bucket around the jar
    then i put about 8 cups of water in it

procedure
    feed in bowls on milk stand
    goat on milk stand
    lol
    wash udder
    milk goat into empty bucket
    AS SOON AS SHE IS MILKED OUT
    i pour the milk thru the strainer into the glass jar in the ice bath

the trick, or so i am told, is to get the milk as cold as possible as quickly as possible

it works for me

o!
    when i bring everything in i just put the strainer in the sink and the jar with it's lid in my fridge

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Basically I milk 2 nigi's into 1 pail now, when first freshened it was 2 pails, I use a home made freezie made from a 4 oz. child's soda bottle filled with water and frozen, I wipe udders with baby wipes, milk over the freezie and it chills the milk enough til I get it to the house and strained thru bought filters and into the fridge. Haven't had a "goaty milk" issues yet in 7 years of doing it this way.

Haven't had an issue with soured milk yet but I did have a problem with a batch of soft cheese...it overgrew the pot! Was too warm in the house as it sat and cured for the 12 hours it was supposed to and I had ALOT of cultured cheese all over the floor!

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    ok - so I know this sounds stupid - but what are you straining the milk for - if there is no particles in the milk?

I have been milking into cups and then bringing it into the house - pouring straight into plastic washed water bottles - and then straight into the freezer. Now currently I only use the milk in the bottle babies bottles - but eventually I would like to make cheese and what not.

Thanks

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I strain with milk filters I buy at TSC...Mainly because of the errant hairs that may fall in the bucket and because my girls are low to the ground they tend to get hayseed and dirt on their bellies, a quick brush doesn't always catch it all and it does end up in the milk, the filter allows only the milk to go into the container I strain it into. No matter how nicely trimmed a does udder is, there is always a hair to end up in the milk....advisable to strain regardless because a hair from a white goat won't bee seen as well as one from a dark goat and I personally don't like to get a goat hair in my Feta. :ROFL:

6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I do the same as Allison. I have several bottles of milk in the freezer right now.

7. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    We always strain the milk-just incase hair or grain gets into it. But, I think it is also important to try milk from a couple of your does to make sure it tastes good. We usually only bring in milk from Scrumptious or Champagne. I haven't been drinking any milk as of late since i've been dieting-but I know I should at least have one glass a day-especially goats milk-since it is healthier than cows. We wash our does udders with a warm wash cloth with soapy water. And then always hand milk into a stainless steel bucket. And I believe the type of grain/hay/mineral that is used also helps in the taste of goats milk. The rest of our milk is going to the piggies right now-since the guy who was buying milk from us has no more room in the freezer for milk and is not buying calves at the moment. So..........we have some really happy piggies;).

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    so what do you all use to strain the milk?

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I buy the disk filters from TSC...I do wash them with my milk buckets in hot soapy water and rinse them well, I re use them 3 times before I pitch them....A box of 100 6 1/2 inch disk filters run about $6.00 and since I get at least 3 uses out of each one, it compares to 300 filters/milking. These also are white and catch everything that shouldn't be there...including flakes and teeny spots of blood...which come in handy when the doe isn't showing signs of mastitis. I use mine in a small stainless strainer they fit perfectly and are fast flow so theres no need to pour and wait and pour again.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I WANT THEM!!! OK will have to try to find them. Thanks for the suggestions.

I strain really well but after making pudding and finding one small hair in it I was freeked out (ok I dont mind mucking out the pens and getting poop and whatever on me or being dirty from head to toe with goat muck but hairs in my food gross me out! :sick:

11. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    At Walmart I bought a stainless steel storage contaner (I thinks its for sugar) it has no seams and it has a click down lid, I take that 2 little freezer things (camping section) put them in a gallon glass jar (my sister in law owns a resturant I get them from her) milk my 2 does pour it into the glass jar, straining it though one of them coffee filters that never need replacing, I use my funnel for canning to hold the coffee filter on top of the jar. then I am done. I had been milking then doing my straining of the milk in the house, but since this subject has been up I have started doing it in the barn to cool it quicker, it does seem to help more, I usually have 2 gallons in the fridge at all time, if there is 2 gallons in the am when I milk up then I put the oldest milk in the fridge in the freeze (gallon ziplock bags) Did that make sence? :scratch:

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Absolutely, when I milk the next time whatever is in the fridge from the previous milking goes into the freezer...but I use 2 qt juice bottles to freeze in...then when the girls dry off it's the oldest in the freezer to get used first.

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Here is how we milk(this is long)

For feeding, we have the girls tied up on chains around the barn and they are fed half their grain off the stand. On the stand they get the rest of their grain. Before we milk, we wash their udders with warm soapy water and then dry them and milk out the first couple squirts into a paper towel or glass jar, the first squirts are what contain the most bacteria.

We milk into a stainless steel bucket and nearby we have two stainless milk totes with a stainless strainer w/ pad in it sitting on top. Right after milking, the milk is poured into the strainer which goes into a tote. After the milk has been strained we spray with a chlorhexidine solution(not Fight Bac, FB is not as effective as a sanitizer as a strait chlorhexidine solution) This sanitizes the teat and prevents bacteria which could cause mastitis from getting back up into the udder. This is repeated till we are done milking.

As soon as we are finished milking, the milk is immediately ran into the house where it is strained again into half gallon glass jars(or a pot if cheese is being made that day) and then put into an ice bath in five gallon buckets.

The key to having good tasting milk is:
    1. A good balanced diet
    2. Making sure that the girls are free from dirt and debris, it helps to clip their udders and bellies
    and most importantly, 3. making sure the milk gets down to 35-40 within 45-60 minutes after leaving the goat. On hotter days we put the totes in five gallon buckets of water. Using stainless helps to keep up the good quality too.

14. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Geez, I'm all embarrassed now! :oops:

Here I was, milking once a day, in the dirt, into a pickle jar, which I would then strain with a plain old kitchen strainer!

:doh:

But a little goat hair and dirt never hurt anyone... right? :greengrin:

This time, she'll be getting a hair trim, preferably right before she kids to minimize mess, I'm going to order a milking pail and strainer, and I've got a milk stand.

We all have to start somewhere I imagine. :oops:

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hehe that was/still sometimes is me.

The reason I brought this up is because I hear the term "handle the milk correctly" and it is left at that. I felt that if we are going to be providing information it should be with the utmost detail.

I have learned a few things and I have tried one idea mentioned but I basically keep my rutine basic and with no "fluf" as I call it.

I milk into one container and pure into another that has a freeze pack or a frozen water bottle in it. Then I use a strainger from the kitchen to put it into a mason jar.

But I was getting more hairs in the milk then I care to have (1 is to many, grosses me out) so I am going to try some of the ideas mentioned.

Never get to far into raising goats that you cant learn something new :greengrin:

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    This is kind of late (again!) but I have used, when nothing else is handy for straining. . . . a plain old paper towel. Works wonderfully! If it's the thicker kind then I peel it into two layers and save the other side for the next milking. Just a silly thought for when you don't have anything else around. :wink:

17. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    Oh I like this thread! When I was milking my Pygmy quite a few years ago (maybe 6), I would wash her udder with warm water, dry with a paper towel, then squeeze the first squirts or so onto the paper towel I dried her teats with and milked into a stainless steel container that I had gotten from the store. I tried once to use a coffee filter to strain it with, but it just wouldn't train out - to much milk fat I guess! Anyways, I got some regular milk filters and put those into a regular strainer to strain the milk. I then put the milk into a quart sized zip loc bag and put it flat in the freezer till it was good and cold. Sometime (a lot of time) I forgot and it would freeze. The milk was always nice tasting except when she came into heat and then it tasted goaty for a couple milkings. That may have been anything including something different I fed her rather than just because she came into heat, but I don't know. Other than that, the milk was really good. My picky daughter who doesn't like even 'good' goats milk thought the milk from my Pygmy was just yummy. I'm looking forward to the milk from my ND because the composition is like the Pygmy...

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    that is a good point about a doe being in heat and having "goaty" tasting milk.

19. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That is a very interesting point, never noticed that before (haven't been milking very long though!) :) Some of the best goat's milk I ever tasted came from my brother's pygmy goat, Daisy Mae. I swear it tasted kind of sweet but in a good way, just delicious! Her babies are some of the healthiest, chubbiest, fastest growing kids we have! No wonder, their momma has the best milk! :) Can't wait to get her bred, she's gonna be milking for us next spring! Oh, she gives a lot too, almost two quarts on her good days. Anywho, don't know why I said all that. :D

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    My Mia is part pygmy and I told my brother when he was leary of trying it "it actually taste sweet" hers is the only "pygmy" milk I have tried