The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Six days ago I took in two orphaned Nubian babies found in a field. They had a rough start, but with guidance from TGS they came through and were doing great...til I saw the doeling limp tonight. She is now 8 days old. She doesn’t seem to be tender when I palpate, and no hot areas. I noticed yesterday she seemed to be walking a little off, but tonight, full-on reluctance to bear weight (but she will do it to come toward her bottle). Left front hoof seems a bit curved inward at the “ankle”. They are taking whole cows milk (8-9oz 4x a day) with a pinch of baking soda in the morning. Goat Power probiotic powder daily as well. They got 2ml of vitE/selenium gel orally. They have been living in my guest room in a dog kennel with a heater, as they were so weak/sickly. I’m hoping it will warm up enough to have them get outside some in the afternoons soon (I live in central Texas, so all you northerners can laugh at how I am babying them from 50 degrees... ). I read some other posts about possible rickets, and giving vit D from human gel cap... is this the next step? Any experienced thoughts/guidance VERY appreciated... I’m so new to goats, and I don’t want to let these sweet little goaties down!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought of two more things to add: 1. I started giving alfalfa hay yesterday (not sure how much they ate, but they sure moved it around!) and I put some purina goat chow in their kennel today - doesn’t seem like any was gone though. 2. They walk on a 1/4 inch mesh base of the kennel (so the pee goes through, and some of the poo). At first, I thought her gait was due to it being slightly uneven. I felt her hoof “pads” and didn’t feel/see any abrasion, but thought I’d mention this. I hate when they stand in pee/poo x much cleaner this way.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Oh, HUGS. She just can't catch a break.

1/4 inch mesh is pretty small, I can't imagine that is the problem.

I have given an even smaller one a vitamin D-3 soft gel to good effect 400 IU size because that is what my store sold. So I think I would try that. How long ago did she get the 2ml of selenium gel? If it was a while ago, I might try a small amount of that, but maybe not the full 2ml dose. Do you have any Replamin Plus? If so, maybe try that instead of the selenium gel.

You are so amazing.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I would also find a way to get them into the sunshine for part of the day.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would also find a way to get them into the sunshine for part of the day.
It has been so cloudy lately! I will try asap. They've been outside probably 20 minutes since I got them...

I've been reading about joint I'll since posting this thread... I do have LA200 on hand. Now I'm quite worried... but only one leg, and she's so happy..

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, HUGS. She just can't catch a break.

1/4 inch mesh is pretty small, I can't imagine that is the problem.

I have given an even smaller one a vitamin D-3 soft gel to good effect 400 IU size because that is what my store sold. So I think I would try that. How long ago did she get the 2ml of selenium gel? If it was a while ago, I might try a small amount of that, but maybe not the full 2ml dose. Do you have any Replamin Plus? If so, maybe try that instead of the selenium gel.

You are so amazing.
You're sweet!

I do not have replamin... I'll look into that. I gave her the gel mixed in a bottle three days ago. I gave her a little more tonight, as I'm sure some of it stuck to the bottle the first time. I didn't want to overdose after reading warnings, but I figured a smidge more might help!

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Put a pea sized "smidge" on your index finger and smear it into her mouth. And even if it is cloudy, they get benefit from the sunlight. If that is all the sun they've gotten, then I don't think you need to fear giving a vitamin D soft gel. I've never heard of joint ill causing a curving of the leg, but I've not seen all of joint ill. Still, I'm leaning toward vitamin D, personally.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
How about cod liver oil? I believe that comes in a soft gel form, as well. Excellent nutrition for rickets I've read.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Put a pea sized "smidge" on your index finger and smear it into her mouth. And even if it is cloudy, they get benefit from the sunlight. If that is all the sun they've gotten, then I don't think you need to fear giving a vitamin D soft gel. I've never heard of joint ill causing a curving of the leg, but I've not seen all of joint ill. Still, I'm leaning toward vitamin D, personally.
I sure hope it's that! I'll start with vit D.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so this morning she looks weaker. Perked up when she saw me, but struggled to stand. Legs don’t look bowed at all... maybe she was standing strangely yesterday? Still no heat/redness/swelling of joints. Navel clean. Took about 6oz. Not as aggressive as at her peak, but she’s only had a couple “peak” days alive! I gave her 250IU vitamin D3 (crushed a quarter of a 1000IU pill I had, and put in bottle). Good stools. Good urine output after eating. Sleeping after her bottle on me now. Is she too old for floppy kid?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Fortified vitamin B. I think at this age she can take it orally.

I don't know about the FKS. I'll try to find out.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
She is not too old, as per this article, (which also says the Fortified B can be given orally). Both would not hurt, the baby will pee out what it does not use. Thiamine is an RX. But the Fortified B is not. Don't give any more milk, but electrolytes and probiotics.

http://www.goatworld.com/articles/fks/fksrw.shtml

·
Registered
609 Posts
Coolbreeze89, I have read all of the posts and am kinda of confused ! My question is the health of the doeling and not the health of the front leg ? If she is eating good and peeing and pooping like she should be then I believe I would go a little slower with the treatment on the leg. She is so young and as we know it doesn't take much of a dose to over dose one so small. May I suggest that you get her health up to snuff as in body temp, eating as she should and growing and then worry about the leg. Unless the leg is preventing her from being able to move around. A little time may help with the leg as her total health gets better. After she is a month or so old she still has plenty of time to correct the leg issue. I know that not being able to see the doeling and how the leg is affecting her would make a difference in the way I would treat her. So take my :2c: worth of advice and proceed as you feel you should. You have some good advice coming you way from others. Good luck with her.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
My question is the health of the doeling and not the health of the front leg ?
The question has shifted a bit from merely the leg (possibly rickets), to possible FKS. I think that is what we are all reacting to. She is weakening, not holding her own. Caught and treated early, prognosis is good.

Reactions: catharina

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, so current status:

1. My initial assessment of bowed leg was wrong. Either she was leaning on it strangely, or I looked at from an angle, but her leg alignment is good on all 4.
2. Over the last 18hrs, she has gotten noticeably weaker. She can stand, but drops down very quickly. Her appetite and activity level have dropped significantly in this time as well. Even my husband (who is pretty hands off on the bottle babies) commented that she looks really bad today compared to yesterday.
3. Her navel is clean, her joints feel normal, without redness, swelling, or heat. I can passively move all 4 with full range of motion.
4. Her temp is 102.9 now.

I just gave first dose of 2cc penicillin G, 2cc baking soda, and B complex with thiamine, all orally. She took well, and seemed to want to eat after. I did NOT feed her milk as I read on one thread to do probiotics and electrolytes. Is this correct, or is that only if poor suck? I am waiting to give anything for a bit to let the meds settle.

I SINCERELY appreciate everyone’s input. As I read extensively on TGS this morning, FKS seemed more likely as the cause, and I understand that aggressive, prompt treatment is best, so I moved forward with this.

Is there anything else to do to cover my bases? Any need for injected penicillin as well?

I am very new to goats. I have extensive human medical experience, but this definitely doesn’t help in all goat situations! Thank you all for the guidance but also the moral support.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts