The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I observed my 8 month old buckling nursing on one of my in heat does. We purchased him mid October to be our breeder buck and put him in with my two does immediately. He had been separated from his mother for months when we bought him and he had never been seen even trying to nurse prior to this week. So he has been in with my does for about 2 months and they are both in heat now, which means he's obviously not impregnated them in these last two months right? The does are obviously in heat and they are paying special attention to him but all I see him do is try to nurse and the one does lets him. I'm afraid this is my does last heat of the year and he appears to not be doing his job, we bought him in order to have babies and therefore milk next spring, and REALLY don't want to have dry does all next year.. any thoughts.. anything is appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this something that's not rare for a breeder buckling to do? I can't find anything online mentioning this as a possibility. Taking the girls somewhere is the problem and why we bought a buck in the first place. First is means of getting them there and second is proximity to a buck.. I've not wanted to take my girls to just any old buck so we had to travel 2 hours south to get this buckling. He was small enough to travel in our car when we got him.. our girls are full sized dairy girls so are easy 125lbs(probably more) and we just don't have a way to take them somewhere. So it sounds like I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that he does what he needs to do or just resign myself to dry does next year?

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,229 Posts
Ugh...that stinks it's so far.... I would say to hope for the best...and expect the worst is a possibility, unfortunately. I have heard of goats nursing on other goats even older than that,so I don't think it's unheard of at all.Some will even self suck...
Have you seen any interest at all from him? Is he smelly at all? Does he act "bucky" toward the girls?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He has gotten progressively stinkier over the last 2 months. He's definitely bucky smelling but not overpowering. The air is fragrant with his smell. No pee on his face though. He definitely shows more interest in the girls when they are in heat. He sticks his nose in their pee stream sometimes. Sniffs their backsides, but no mounting seen. Now this heat with the one doe, he'll sniff her backside then go down to her udder and nurse. I think she only lets him now that she's in heat because I've never seen his trying to nurse or her letting him before. Normally the girls will assert their dominance by pushing him away from what they are eating, but not when they are in heat.. they tolerate him and actually go up to him and show their availability....flagging, bleeting, discharge from backside, so they are definitely in heat. The girls are 2 yrs old and each has had babies before so they know what they are doing atleast. I'm hoping worst case scenario he'll just be too immature this year but he ok for next fall.. hopefully..

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,229 Posts
That is so strange about the nursing....:confused: I would bet he is just a little immature yet. I'm sure by next year, if not this year, he'll do fine.
It sure is frustrating to have dry does though. I have been through that last year with one of mine cause she was still under sized IMO, so I opted to wait. It makes the year seem so long when you can't get anything back!
Just a thought...is he tall enough? Or have a way to reach their backsides?

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
I would only pen him with them (or vise versa) when they are in heat. It should motivate him to breed them that way.
If it's cold where you are they could still have heat cycles all the way into March-May. And he'll be older then, and might breed them.

I would also tape their teats so he can't nurse off them. Remove the tape every 12 hours and milk them if you are still milking. If not just remove the tape, massage their udder and teats, then replace the tape.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I can't tell you if he can reach the girls properly.. I've not invented my goat stilts yet (haha) so I don't know how to provide a means for him to reach them if he can't on his own. I was told that smaller bucks find a way somehow.. I really did not intend to separate him as we built one large goat shed for the 3 goats. I will be partitioning off an area for birthing but this would be a temporary division. If I HAVE to I could but we wanted everyone together, much easier especially during winter. I did not know in colder areas does can be in heat through winter, we are quite cold here, regularly below zero in the winter. I'd not mind a mid summer kidding as it would be nice and warm by then. I will try to tape but want to know what kind will not irritate the teat.. I have papertape and cloth tape on hand (I'm an RN) but will buy something different if needed. Also we are milking the two does but just once a day now., can I just remove tape and replace once a day after milking?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I second what has been said. Keep him apart from does until they are in standing heat. His you-know-what will rule his stomach when the doe is fully in heat.

I had a 7 month old buckling do this just this year, but still got the job done. He is still young enough to remember Mom's milk.

On my two largest does, I dug out a small depression on a slope and positioned the doe facing downhill with her back feet in the hole. That lowered her rump about 6-12" for the young fellow, and he had no problem servicing her then.

Good luck!

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
Yes, the paper tape will work just fine, it's what I use. Normally you just need a long enough piece of tape to center it over the teats orifice, and go 3/4 of the way up the teat toward the udder (front and back of the teat I guess it would be) the one strip of tape is enough per teat.
So hold the tape up, measure the length of the teat, then tear the tape off at twice the teats length. Center it, and tape the teat (like putting a bandaid on). Pinch the bottom of the tape around the tip of the teat, and make sure the ends of the tape are stuck in place.
Yes, you can leave it on all day and take it off when you milk, then tape the teats again before letting her back in with him.

If you don't have anywhere else to out him, that is fine, he will grow up and be a buck eventually.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I would definitely get your does serviced by an older buck...sometimes when they are that young they don't exactly know what to do since they don't go into rut until later. Good luck and keep us updated!! :-D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the help.. when suggested to separate him does it have to be away away or if he's in a section of the same shed is that separated enough? also do you think if I kept them together but removed him the last few days prior to them going into heat, then letting him back in with them once they are fully in heat would that work maybe? or does he have to be separated all the time?

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
He can share the same fence line and still want to do his job when he is a bit older, you don't have to take him way far away. I do generally like to keep my bucks away from my does though (across the property), and put the buck with them when they are in heat, or just for a month so I know he has covered the does.
When he is older, keeping him away will keep the milk from getting a buck flavor, and you'll know when your girls are bred.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Newbie here but just wanted to contribute, that I did see photos of a young ram (maybe 6months?) nursing on a ewe, and then one of him mounting her. The OP did state (I know this is a ram) he did successfully breed his ewes....
Can't remember what site it was on...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts