The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to this forum and would like some advise on my goat:crazy: Gordo. Gordo is 8 months old. He was born healthy and until around a month ago all was fine with him. I started noticing that he would fall eaisly and was not running at all anymore. I went on line and started reading about weak legs. Well, the first thing I thought was selenium deficiency being that we live in Florida and are soil is very deficient in selenium. I treated him with BOSE and I also treated him for copper deficiency. His fur had some discoloration and was kind of rough. His fur is looking better. But he is not doing well in his walking. I took him to the Vet (they don't know much about goats) but they ran blood work and gave him IV fluids and and anti inflammatory shot and antibotic shot. He didn't have fever. Blood work came back good. No anemia, no liver problems, kidneys good, no sign of cancer.......the only thing was his protein level was a little high. Apparently it was due to him eating Peanut Hay which turns out to be too rich for goats. He is now eating O&A which is less rich. I then read about deer worms. So I asked the vet and she said that she thought it was either selenium deficiency or deer worm and being that the BOSE didn't make a difference we should treat him for deer worm. So I gave him SafeGuard (which is the best to treat deer worm) for 7 days and I started give him B-Complex too. He started doing better. He was walking longer distances and was more alert. I was so happy:D But today Gordo couldn't get up. He still eats and drinks water, but can't get up at all. He tries and he falls. I get him up and hold him and make him walk little steps, but the poor baby just keeps falling down. He was doing better and today this:confused: So my question is does anyone out there know or have experience something like this in their goat. What else beside selenium or deer worm can cause weak legs. I am going crazy here. I feel so bad for my Gordo and I don't want him to looose him. Any advise will be appreciated. Thank You!

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
WHile reading your post meningeal worm came to mind (deer worm)...perhaps treating longer for it will be needed since he went a while without the treatment..From my understanding Ivomec plus followed by safe guard is the chosen treatment for meningeal worm....here is a quote from tennessee meat goats..

Treatment involves very high dosages of Ivomec Plus or generic equivalent. Ivermectin paste or pour-on are not effective. Ivomec Plus or generic equivalent is recommended because if snails or slugs are present, so may also be liver flukes, and Ivomec Plus will handle both conditions at the same time. Ivomec Plus should be given at a rate of 1 cc per 25 pounds bodyweight for at least seven days, followed by a double-the-cattle dosage of fenbendazole (Safeguard/ Panacur) for five days. (Jeffers carries both dewormers.) Dosing too low means that the deerworm continues to do damage. Enough medication needs to remain in the goat's system so that the blood-brain barrier can be crossed in order to kill the larvae that have already penetrated the spinal column. If the goat is down and can't get up on its own, the chance for recovery is not good. An anti-inflammatory drug like Banamine can be useful in alleviating the inflammation of nerve tissue. Dexamethosone should also be used if paralysis is present, dosing at approximately 8 cc per 100 lbs bodyweight and stepping down one cc per day. Dex should be given into the muscle (IM). If the sick goat is a pregnant doe, use the dexamethasone and let her abort, because she isn't likely to survive if she is trying to grow fetuses while fighting this disease. If the producer is concerned about using Dexamethasone and Banamine at the same time, then use the Dex and forget the Banamine. When symptoms are found in one goat, the producer should either treat the entire herd or watch everyone closely daily for symptoms and begin treatment immediately if discovered.
I think I would begin treatment again, following these guidelines....continuing b complex as a support..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your reply. Is there any other disease that can cause these symptoms? I read something about joint ill????

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cathy he doesn't show signs of liver fluke....he has no fever, no anemia and no bottle jaw. Should I still give him the Ivomec Plus? And if so can I give it to him orally not injected as I know it burns like crazy and I don't want to make him go thru anymore discomfort. Thanks

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
WOw..I was answering your post and thought I sent it to another thread..went bonkers for a minutes lol...need to re write it lol sorry :eek:

On joint ill ...usually caused by bacteria entering through the new wet belly button of a new born..but I recenty found it can also be caused by a goat battling a bad a bacterial infection such as pneunomia...bacteria enters the blood stream and causes swelling and pain to the joints..sometimes attacking the bladder and kidneys...

I would feel around and see if this is the case...but I would still begin treating for Menigeal worm...Ivomec plus should be injected to be effective against menigeal worms..it needs to cross the brain barrier to work..To make it less painful..do sub q in theloose skin where the kneck meets the body ( learned that here :D) before you injected wiggle the area alot to confuse the nerves : ) inject then wiggle some more...the sting only last a second or two...

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Joint Ill would be accompanied by swollen, hot to the touch knees usually, as well as a swollen, hot naval. Joint Ill usually shows up way before 8 months of age. What your describing doesn't sound like joint ill. Plus, if it were joint ill, it should have shown up in the blood work it sounds like your vet did as an elevated white blood count due to infection.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
For Joint ill...Baytril ( daily for five days) and Banamine( daily for three days) are the best team to battle it...

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
What dosage did you give for the Safeguard? The liquid should be dosed at 1cc per 7 lbs for M Worm. I like to follow up in 2 weeks and do another round if I truly believe they have it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cathy you are great...thank you so much. I will keep you posted on his progress. Please send a little prayer his way. Thank you again.;)

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Prayers sent

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Here is a thing about BO SE, if you also give them a vitamin E pill (just like the ones you would take that are soft gel like) it helps the bo se work better. Vitamin D is also a good idea to give at this time.

You can place the soft gel in the corner of your mouth to soften it and then just squeeze it into the corner of their mouth and it should pop. Leaving you the soft gel material to throw away. Easier this way cause goats like to spit pills out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello ksalvagno: I gave 6cc of safeguard for 7 days....his weight is 44lbs. Maybe I should give more???? The last treatment was on Tuesday the 9th.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I treated him with BOSE for 3 days. This was about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Should I give him the vitamin E & D pill now? What is the vitamin D good for? Thanks

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
How is Gordo doing ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He is pretty much the same Cathy. Today I spoke to the vet and she is ordering the Ivomec Plus for me, but she doesn't think he has liver fluke but like she said it won't hurt to try it. Should I treat him again with the safe guard? Tomorrow makes a week that I stopped giving it to him. Today he got another anti-inflammatory shot. Let's see how is tomorrow. Still eating and drinking. Thank you for caring....TC:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you I will look into the vitamine D. Yes, I agree with you I don't like to give too many medicine, but if its the deer worm I need to treat it aggresively...so they say. Thanks again.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Im glad you are able to work closely with your vet...Ivomec plus is easily picked up at a local tractor supply as well..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, I tried Tractor Supply and all the other feed stores in my area and none of them had it. Some said they carry it, but ran out:(

1 - 20 of 125 Posts