The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8 month old Nubian doe who I noticed was acting different yesterday. She wasn't chowing down on food, or really wanting to be in the pasture. She still wanted the herd around though. I checked her FAMACHA it was about a 4-5. I dewormed her with Cydectin Oral French and gave her Jump Start. Apple Cider vinegar is mixed in the water and they have loose minerals. They haven't been getting grain, just a lot of hay and grass (The vet approved).
She has still be up and moving but won't drink or eat. Her pee has gotten dark yellow since last night. She stretches her stomach out A LOT and her poop has mucus. Looks like she has lost a lot of weight since last night. But she has always looked a little skinny since we've gotten her it has just gotten worse over the night. I tried giving her sweet feed and a pumpkin which she normally loves but all she does is sniff them a walks away. Could cocci be the problem? The rest of the herd is fat and still sassy
I called the vet and she is busy for the rest of the day on Farm Calls. I might get in tomorrow.... Anything I could do now for her?
Carnivore Working animal Dog breed Mammal Felidae
Terrestrial animal Snout Tail Livestock Wildlife
Gesture Terrestrial animal Plant Asphalt Tail
Head Eye Sky Branch Wood

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,608 Posts
Oh sweetie, she looks really uncomfortable. First off, check her temperature. Normal would be 101.3-103.5. You need to have a fecal done to check for coccidia or other worms. Probiotic paste, injectable vitamin B complex, and free choice hay are a must. The Vitamin B may help with her apatite. Electrolytes in her water are really helpful too. See if she will eat any white pine boughs if you have them; they will help get her rumen going along with giving her some Vitamin C. I'd lay off the sweet feed for now. She really needs roughage in her rumen to get it functioning properly. See if she will take a few garlic cloves. If not you can blend them up and drench them to her in enough water to go through a syringe. Goats can go downhill very quickly once they start acting sick, so try to do what you can while waiting for the vet.

You can try this too using however many of the ingredients you have on hand or can get easily:
Tummy Tamer
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Cinnamon
Slippery elm
ACV
Molasses in enough water to drench. Usually 20-30 cc. 2 x a day or Can split in two doses and do 4 times a day.

Best of luck to you and her!

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,608 Posts
I forgot to add that if you can get Red Cell which is an anemia treatment, I'd do that too. Dosage for that is 6 cc's per 100 lbs orally, 1 x a day for one week, monitor the inner lower eyelid color daily. If still too anemic after that time, continue 1 x week, until Famacha chart coloring is border line safe, stop, at that time. Alfalfa is beneficial to recovering from anemia too. If you don't have alfalfa hay, the pellets will work too. Something else you could try would be to make smoothie of carrots, celery and leafy greens to get some nutrients in her.

·
Super Moderator
32,150 Posts
I agree with Mellon friend.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,575 Posts
Poor thing - she definitely isn't well. Mellon gave great advice. My bet is that she does have cocci. Mucus in poop, weight loss, lethargy (as well as others) are all symptoms of cocci. Hope she gets well soon!

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,169 Posts
Hi. Has she had a fecal done to know her worm load. That is important. Sounds like her Rumen isnt correct. I drench with room temp, shaken until its flat, dark beer. That will get her rumen started, and help flush her kidneys. The probios paste or plain greek yogurt, given to her orally after the dark beer drench will improve her flora. I would get her off grain for at least a couple of days.
You said her stools were covered? Or are they just loose, not forming balls. And what color is the poop. Have you taken her temperature?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh sweetie, she looks really uncomfortable. First off, check her temperature. Normal would be 101.3-103.5. You need to have a fecal done to check for coccidia or other worms. Probiotic paste, injectable vitamin B complex, and free choice hay are a must. The Vitamin B may help with her apatite. Electrolytes in her water are really helpful too. See if she will eat any white pine boughs if you have them; they will help get her rumen going along with giving her some Vitamin C. I'd lay off the sweet feed for now. She really needs roughage in her rumen to get it functioning properly. See if she will take a few garlic cloves. If not you can blend them up and drench them to her in enough water to go through a syringe. Goats can go downhill very quickly once they start acting sick, so try to do what you can while waiting for the vet.

You can try this too using however many of the ingredients you have on hand or can get easily:
Tummy Tamer
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Cinnamon
Slippery elm
ACV
Molasses in enough water to drench. Usually 20-30 cc. 2 x a day or Can split in two doses and do 4 times a day.

Best of luck to you and her!
Thank you! I tried molasses water in a baby bottle and it didn't work. Whatever I give will most likely have to be by syringe. My thermometer wasn't working, so I ran to the store for a new one. Her temperature read 103.676°f

·
Super Moderator
32,150 Posts
Temp is with in normal range. I would qork her rumen as suggested along with anemia protocol.
Probiotics
Dark beer
Red cell
B 12 or b complex
Lots of browse foods like pine, cedar, vines, leaves to tempt her to eat. That along with hay and alfalfa.

Drenching fluid for hydration is hard. It is near impossible to drench enough. Just keep offering warm molasses water ever hour or so. If you can get sub Q fluids that would be ideal.

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
Another thing you can do with fluids is tube her. It’s easy to do. I tried to find the video that I learned how to do a adult goat but can’t find it. If you want to go that way and need help on how to let me know and I will explain how to. Hopefully though you can get her into a vet and get her all fixed up :fingers crossed:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts