The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question recently got an 8 week old buck who was with his mom until I picked him up. He nibbles on his food but doesn't eat enough to my liking. He picks at hay but not alot.
He was drinking from him mom . At this point should I try to supplement with milk replacer ?
Any tips ??

·
Registered
921 Posts
You could try him with whole cows milk from the grocery store. Make sure it is up to 101 or 102 degrees. Since he's never taken the bottle before, it might be a fight. If you do a search here on TGS , there is a lot of info on getting kids to take bottles, and also formulas for calculating what a kid should receive by body weight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Question recently got an 8 week old buck who was with his mom until I picked him up. He nibbles on his food but doesn't eat enough to my liking. He picks at hay but not alot.
He was drinking from him mom . At this poinot should I try to supplement with milk replacer ?
Any tips ??
@NigerianDwarfOwner707

Sent me a wonderful blog explaining how much milk a Nigerian Dwarf baby should be drinking, try getting a hold of them, they are super helpful. I have to agree with the other, he wasn’t properly weaned off the tit. If you can get goats milk, that is what be I am currently using. Molasses on the tip, of the bottle, helps him to want it. He will probably fight you the first 2-3 days, but don’t give up. I lost my buckling because of this exact thing, because i was miss informed by a “breeder” in Florida.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts