The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 8 week buck that has diarrhea. I just noticed it today. We have just cut hay on Monday and he has been eating the bales thatvhave broke. There are 3 other goats in with him including his twin brother they are all acting normal with no diarrhea. He is acting normal as well eating and drinking. What can I give him to stop or slow down the diarrhea.

·
Registered
30,673 Posts
how bad is the runs..playdough, pudding or water?? c
what color? Green tinge, dark blackish or yellow?

hes the right age to fight Cocci (dark blackish)..,
worm load (can cause dark brown to black)
Too much graze or grain ( dietary runs are green-tinged)
e coli or other bacterial, milk scours (yellow)

pepto can be given to sooth tummy and dry the bum..but finding the cause is important..

·
Registered
30,673 Posts
yes that happened to us...bloat and runs...we had to open the bales and let it dry out well before feeding it..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
His diarrhea is dark green. I gave him some pepto. The hay got cut then was baled later in the day. It has as been really hot the last two weeks. I was nit hi me when the hay got picked uo so I don't know how dry it was. I will let you guys know what he looks like in the morning. Thank you so much for your help I am fairly new to goats.

·
Registered
30,673 Posts
green is usually dietary...pepto for a few days should help, CD antitoxin is always good to use when ever a goats rumen is off, such as with the runs,,,
if you stick your hand down in a bale and its warm..it was baled too hot/wet...best to open it up and then it dry out a day or two before feeding..watch for bloat as well...left side of stomach will be hard and raised high..goats will be miserable..
if you see bloat give ;
1/2-1 teaspoon baking soda in enough water to drench, THEN message and knead the left side and bounce the belly and walk the goat repeat until you hear/see rumen function ( burps grumbling ect..)
best wishes

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today I gave him more pepto he is laying around more. You can definitely tel today he's not feeling good. His diarrhea today is putting consistency dark green with a little mucus.

·
Registered
30,673 Posts
I agree...if you do nt have cd antitoxin and cant find any..Milk of magensia (M.O.M) will help...this will rid his gut of toxins building due to the fact is rumen is off...please do not wait to treat or you can loose him...
get some medication for Cocci..Dimethox or Sulmet 1 cc per 5 # day one and 1 cc per 10# day 2-5..
if you can not find either of these cocci mediation the grab Corid and Fortified B complex...give the B complex after treatment of corid..follow instruction on corid bottle..this is straight from the jar..no diluting needed..
continue Pepto and offer electrolytes and fresh green leaves...

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses (or what you have on hand or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Milk of Magnesia - Over-the-counter product that is useful for constipation and toxicity reactions, including Bloat, Overeating Disease, and Floppy Kid Syndrome. Use as oral drench at a rate of 15 cc per 60 lbs. body weight every four to six hours until the feces goes from normal to clumpy then back to normal 'pills.' Always keep the animal hydrated with ReSorb electrolytes when using Milk of Magnesia or other laxatives. Don't ever be without this very helpful yet common product.

http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f186/medicine-uses-dosages-sue-rieth-101081/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts