9 does due Feb 13-early March

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by minibarn, Jan 31, 2018.

1. minibarn

minibarn Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    My does are commercial meat goats, Boer and Kiko and crosses. Only have 1 FF in this group so hoping for an easy kidding season! LOL I expect most of these to kid mid feb but a few might go into March. Here's pics of their backsides and udders...

Attached Files:

2. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    ....and here is a long bodied doe(Wynter) who is new to me but has kidded before. I was sure she was open till I had her ultrasounded 2 weeks ago. It showed twins! and due at about the same time as the rest! she's on the right in 1st pic

Attached Files:

3. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    This is the Kiko buck they are bred to....

Attached Files:

4. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Good luck! Can't wait to see those adorable baby pics.

minibarn likes this.
  5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Looking good! Wishing you easy twin kiddings all around

Is there a thread for your lambing season? :rolleyes:

minibarn likes this.
  6. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    Is there a thread for your lambing season? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    Thanks!
    No I haven't started a lambing thread yet. Last summer I ended up selling all my sheep except 4 ewe lambs in order to grow my goatherd. I've since regretted that! I sold some really nice ewes for way too cheap! But I do have a new young ram since before Christmas in with the ewe lambs and expecting May lambs. Can't wait for more babies!

SalteyLove likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Coming along nicely. :)

minibarn likes this.
  8. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    Those are some very nice lookin' goat bottoms! :lolgoat:

I really like the buck, what's his (barn) name?

Kath G. and minibarn like this.
  9. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
  10. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    I call the buck 'Bruno'. He's pure Kiko but is unregistered. I'm excited to see his kids!

11. Kath G.

Kath G. Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Those pictures of Wynter are really, really deceiving! Reminds me that you never quite know what you're going to get, even when you know the due date.
    Beautiful girls there!! Looking forward to baby pictures...:)

toth boer goats and minibarn like this.
  12. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    Yes Wynter has kept me guessing ever since I got her a year ago. I saw her bred multiple times last winter/spring but she kept coming back into heat. I did not see her bred this time but wasn't seeing obvious heats anymore. However with no udder or belly growth I was really not expecting the ultrasound to show she's preggo with twins! Now I'm wondering whether she might not have any milk to feed them....I guess I'll deal with it when the time comes.

toth boer goats and Goat_Scout like this.
  13. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    So I'm a little concerned about Wynter's lack of any udder development. She's supposedly due within a month. Is there anything I can give her to encouragement milk production? The herd together gets good alfalfa hay and some corn (handful each) morning and night. And they get free choice loose goat minerals.

SalteyLove likes this.
  14. Kath G.

Jul 13, 2017
    Wisconsin
    What's Wynter's body condition score?

I have had to learn that condition can only be accurately assessed with your finger tips; I'd hate to guess anything from her picture.

15. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    I don't know for sure, but I'd say she might be a little underweight. I've been thinking I should deworm her too but thot maybe I should wait till after kidding.

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If it is a month to 3 weeks, that is a long time and a lot of udder fill can happen within that time frame.
    You are feeding her right.

minibarn and Kath G. like this.
  17. Kath G.

Jul 13, 2017
    Wisconsin
    There's all different philosophies on worming but fwiw I'd encourage a fecal before worming. No wormer works on all worms (which might mean stressing her system without a benefit, and then she's still wormy afterwards); in addition, coccidia can make an appearance when a goat's immune system is compromised... like when they're pregnant, and their immune system is suppressed... in which case if she's struggling with that, no wormer will do anything.
    Or, you find that she's not wormy at all!

goatblessings and minibarn like this.
  18. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    Thanks! I'll keep a close eye on her.

toth boer goats likes this.
  19. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    Lucy's ligaments are extremely soft! I have her marked as due feb 17. She's huge again! She's given me tiny triplets and last year big twins.
    A couple other does also getting really soft ligs....can't wait for kids!

20. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    Well that was horrible! Wynter's twins were born dead today. First one came breech with my help. Obviously premature so I knew the other would be dead too. 2nd one presented one front leg and for the life of me I could not find other discernable body parts! Long story short I pulled it out in pieces. I believe it had died weeks ago and was already decomposing. No wonder she was losing weight and no udder forming! Now I'm just hoping she'll pass placenta okay and can recover. NOT a good start to my kidding season!