9 Mo. Old Nigerian - Fever, Runny Eyes

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by firelight27, Dec 27, 2010.

1. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    My little 9 month old doeling looked a little off this morning. She was eating her hay, but intermittently standing in the corner away from everyone else. I thought it might be because she gets bullied so much and is tiny, but she had runny eyes. She is bright and alert and really chows on her grain. I took her temperature and it was 106. She ran out the gate and the dog chased her for a couple of minutes before I gave her some baby aspirin to bring down her temperature. She seemed to be wheezing slightly after the dog chased her and had a snotty nose (clear snot), but only when the dog chased her and it went away quickly.

I am going to give her some penicillin SQ over the ribs at 1cc per 20 pounds.

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    If you have Bio-Mycin or LA200 that works better for respiratory issues. I think it is the same 1cc per 20 lbs. but don't have my goat book in front of me so someone correct me if that is wrong. :)

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds like a good start to getting her better. I've only ever used Pen G and last winter when my buck Hank developed a runny nose and crusty eyes, I dosed him with Pen G for 5 days and he was recovered...his temp wasn't as high but at 104 in 20 degree weather to me is a fever.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    with that temp and her attitude I would be giving pen twice a day for at least 5 days if not 7 days.

5. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Alrighty, so gave her the pen G. She weighs exactly 20 pounds so got 1cc (she is the stunted doeling I got in October.) She got at her hay immediately and was chewing her cud, so she seems rather content. I will re-check her temperature in the morning and give her another baby aspirin if it still needs to come down.

The first reading I took was 106, but the second was 105, so I'm a little irritated with the thermometer. I disinfected it (between each animal of course) and tested two more of my does to see if the thermometer was being stupid and they tested at 102 and 102.5

I may do as you say Stacy, and re-dose her in the morning and the evening tomorrow instead of once a day. Grrrrr, I hate it when they get sick! I couldn't find any LA200 and I had penicillin on hand.

6. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    LA 200 is a nasty one to give to the Nigerians...they SCREAM!! Yikes!!
    The BioMycin is a no-sting version and works GREAT for the pneumonia I think you're dealing with.
    I happened upon my BioMycin at my local WilCo Farm Store here in Oregon...
    I'm sure you have a Big R down there and/or maybe a Wilco? Definitely call around and ask...I will never go a day of goatie life without the BioMycin...cause I am a BIG weany when it comes to causing any pain to my babies... I thought I was going to have a heart attack when I WATCHED my friend give a dose of LA200! AhhhhhH!! :(

7. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, I had to give LA200 to a steer and a sheep before. The steer almost crushed my brother, who was helping me, even though we had the steer between some panels. It leapt sideways so hard it knocked the panel over and hollered like it was being murdered. The lamb had polio so didn't react much.

Thanks for the tip on the BioMycin. I didn't think you could get that at a feed store, but we do have a Big R so I will call when they open in the morning and see if they have some. Banshee didn't seem to mind the Pen G injection, but if it isn't as effective as the other medications I'd rather have the better treatment for her.

8. Bellafire Farm

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Wow, I checked and you're in the center of Big R land!! Lucky Duck!! I LOVED Big R when I lived in Bend! I miss it SO much!
    I was actually floored to find it in my local Wilco Store, hence why I bought them out (3 bottles!) so I have one, a backup one, and my sister-in-law has one now too. :hi5:

It's definitely the best option for you in this situation.

Oh and there's a Wilco in Springfield, but that's probably quite a drive for you...especially in a pinch.

Keep me posted how she's doing... she's looking WONDERFUL compared to her original pics! :clap:

9. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I will definitely update everyone on the morrow. GoatWorld suggest Biomycin at 1cc per 30 pounds twice a day and mentions that there seems to be much less resistance to this drug than Pen G. I think I will follow that dosage.

Good news is that she is still growing like crazy. She has grown even more since those last photos. She is actually 10 months old now, looking at her birthdate. She is officially pretty much the same size as my other 10 month old (their birth dates are only off by a few days.) She is still small for her age, but is normal looking now and my other doeling came out of a very tiny dam and is healthy and grew/gained weight at a proper rate so I am quite happy with her progress and size. She won't be bred until next fall, but I am excited to show her as a dry yearling. :)

Oh, and I also gave her a dose of the Vit E/A/D/B12 gel to give her a boost tonight.

10. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Banshee looks good this morning. Took her temperature and it was 100.7.......Disinfected and took several more temperatures on my healthy girls and they were all in a very close range from 100.4-100.8 ...............

Seems a little low to me for all of them, but it has been cold and wet, and windy. Every one is happy with no symptoms. Banshee ran for her hay and was very perky and normal acting and chowed down. Still has weepy eyes. I also noted that she is in heat this morning, with a big glob of goo on her hoo-hoo and wagging her tail like crazy. I am wondering what temperature drops/spikes occur during heat cycles? I have never monitored rectal temperature for breeding purposes, but know you can in dogs and horses.

I couldn't find any BioMycin, so had to settle for LA200. I am using it for three days in a row to make sure it is totally gone, then giving Probios. I am also trying to find a pasturella vaccination but was disappointed to not find any at Big R. I will try Grange Co-op later today to see if they have any. Once she has received a full treatment I am vaccinating everyone. I have heard that it works and that it doesn't, but I'd like to try it. The worst that happens is it doesn't work.

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Glad she is feeling better. Sometimes my goats temps go low like that but also it could be your thermometer. They aren't always very reliable in cold weather

As to the

12. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    As to the? ..... Lol.

Yeah, I am not trusting this thermometer as being precise, which is irritating me because it is brand new. Banshee didn't even mind the LA200. Didn't seem to bother her when I gave her the shot. I remember it really stinging my steer and driving him crazy.

13. Bellafire Farm

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    So glad she's more perky & acting herself! :leap:

I know I don't have to even say this...but keep a keen eye on her, especially after the last dosage of antibiotics...just to make sure it doesn't return. I have the Pasturella vaccine, but have yet to give it...just too busy this fall! My sister-in-law did give it to her herd and I haven't seen any issues creep up there, but it's just the beginning of yucky season.

14. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    She looks completely normal as of now, but I am continuing the antibiotics to try and make sure it doesn't sneak back. I think I caught it early enough that it was not full fledged pneumonia and may have simply been a cold. Her temp was 101.5 tonight. Yay for medicine!

15. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Just a cold or not...one of our babies acts wrong and our lives revolve around them! :) Glad everythings going good, keep us posted!

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So glad you caught this in time to be able to treat her!! Happy to hear that she is doing much better.