The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning we noticed our 9 week old doe has swollen eyelids (both eyes) and her rear end is swollen/red in appearance as well. We flushed her eyes with a sterile saline solution & plan to flush them again with liquid silver and a chamomile compress. She has no discharge and her eye is a bit cloudy looking. (making me believe it is pinkeye)

Other information:

Housing - they have very clean housing, bedding used is straw and a wooden floor that is regularly cleaned/scraped out.

Weather - It has been windy & raining the past few days w/a drop in temps

Herd info - she has a brother born at the same time, who is not suffering from the condition

- mom had a sore on her vulva over the past week which cleared up. Leading me to believe this could be herpes

- one other kid has recurring eye "infections" that last a few days, are treated and clear up (pinkeye?) His mom had a swelling of one eye while pregnant that did the same. She has not had it happen since kidding in August.

- We JUST had a vet visit to do blood draws and test our herd for CAE. Her mother was positive, meaning most likely she is as well. (cannot test until 8+ mos.)

Feed - We cut and carry A LOT of fresh branches. We also practice rotational grazing in 3-4 different pastures. We feed free-choice hay & an evening ration of soy-free grain mixed with some organic alfalfa pellets & oats & a mild herbal dewormer/health tonic mixed in daily to lactating mothers. The kids have started to eat a little bit of the grain mixture, but a very small amount that is left over after mom eats. Fresh water of course & occasional ACV and/or molasses mixed in.

- - -

I will post pictures and her temp after I take them.

Any ideas/opinions/treatment suggestions?

Thank you for your time.

·
Administrator
84,575 Posts
Strange, did the vet say what they think it may be?

Did the vet put drops in the eye to see if there was a cut or something in there and actually look in the eye?
Is the eyelid inverted?

Did he take a fecal sample for cocci and worms?

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
I would try Benadryl. Looks like possible allergic reaction since both ends are swollen. You can also add terramycin or neosporin (w/o pain relief) to sooth her eyes and treat any infection

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would try Benadryl. Looks like possible allergic reaction since both ends are swollen. You can also add terramycin or neosporin (w/o pain relief) to sooth her eyes and treat any infection
That is also what I thought. It was strange that both her rear end and eyes were infected. This just happened a few hours ago. We took 2 goats to the vet YESTERDAY! And had a vet come out to the farm to do blood draws and tests a few days before that.

Do you know how much Benadryl to give goats?

I will look into the other medications as well. Maybe they carry them at TSC or I can order them online...

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
Benadryl is 5 cc for young kiddos and 15-20 cc for larger kids and adults

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Strange, did the vet say what they think it may be?

Did the vet put drops in the eye to see if there was a cut or something in there and actually look in the eye?
Is the eyelid inverted?

Did he take a fecal sample for cocci and worms?
We haven't contacted a vet yet. This showed up a few hours ago. Of course, I had just taken 2 males to the vet yesterday.

Eyelids do not look inverted.

It just looks like the pink membrane and actual eyelid/eyebrow area is swollen.

I looked in the eye. No visible debri, cuts or anything. Eye looks a little cloudy.

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
Terramycin is found at TSC. Its a tiny tube. Neosporin (w/o pain med) is human meds found at any drug store. Either one will work if there is irritation and or infection in the eye.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts