9 week old doe w/swollen eyes & anal/vaginal area

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Living_well, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Living_well

Living_well New Member

Oct 28, 2020
    Petersburg, KY
    This morning we noticed our 9 week old doe has swollen eyelids (both eyes) and her rear end is swollen/red in appearance as well. We flushed her eyes with a sterile saline solution & plan to flush them again with liquid silver and a chamomile compress. She has no discharge and her eye is a bit cloudy looking. (making me believe it is pinkeye)

Other information:

Housing - they have very clean housing, bedding used is straw and a wooden floor that is regularly cleaned/scraped out.

Weather - It has been windy & raining the past few days w/a drop in temps

Herd info - she has a brother born at the same time, who is not suffering from the condition

- mom had a sore on her vulva over the past week which cleared up. Leading me to believe this could be herpes

- one other kid has recurring eye "infections" that last a few days, are treated and clear up (pinkeye?) His mom had a swelling of one eye while pregnant that did the same. She has not had it happen since kidding in August.

- We JUST had a vet visit to do blood draws and test our herd for CAE. Her mother was positive, meaning most likely she is as well. (cannot test until 8+ mos.)

Feed - We cut and carry A LOT of fresh branches. We also practice rotational grazing in 3-4 different pastures. We feed free-choice hay & an evening ration of soy-free grain mixed with some organic alfalfa pellets & oats & a mild herbal dewormer/health tonic mixed in daily to lactating mothers. The kids have started to eat a little bit of the grain mixture, but a very small amount that is left over after mom eats. Fresh water of course & occasional ACV and/or molasses mixed in.

- - -

I will post pictures and her temp after I take them.

Any ideas/opinions/treatment suggestions?

Thank you for your time.

MadHouse likes this.
  2. Living_well

Living_well New Member

Oct 28, 2020
    Petersburg, KY
    53d037fb1af061c818515fd8914c8c990d866bc1-1.jpg e9b190aaf6cf0ec18cb760964f5f68cfb84c0a05-1.jpg
    Top lid is very swollen
    e9b190aaf6cf0ec18cb760964f5f68cfb84c0a05-2.jpg

Attached Files:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Strange, did the vet say what they think it may be?

Did the vet put drops in the eye to see if there was a cut or something in there and actually look in the eye?
    Is the eyelid inverted?

Did he take a fecal sample for cocci and worms?

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would try Benadryl. Looks like possible allergic reaction since both ends are swollen. You can also add terramycin or neosporin (w/o pain relief) to sooth her eyes and treat any infection

5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would treat first as allergic reaction. Give Benadryl and then assess.

totesmygoots likes this.
  6. Living_well

Living_well New Member

Oct 28, 2020
    Petersburg, KY
    That is also what I thought. It was strange that both her rear end and eyes were infected. This just happened a few hours ago. We took 2 goats to the vet YESTERDAY! And had a vet come out to the farm to do blood draws and tests a few days before that.

Do you know how much Benadryl to give goats?

I will look into the other medications as well. Maybe they carry them at TSC or I can order them online...

7. Living_well

Living_well New Member

Oct 28, 2020
    Petersburg, KY
    Do you know how much Benadryl to give goats?

Also, the swelling slightly went down in the eyes after flushing with the sterile homeopathic eye wash solution.

8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Benadryl is 5 cc for young kiddos and 15-20 cc for larger kids and adults

MadHouse likes this.
  9. Living_well

Living_well New Member

Oct 28, 2020
    Petersburg, KY
    We haven't contacted a vet yet. This showed up a few hours ago. Of course, I had just taken 2 males to the vet yesterday.

Eyelids do not look inverted.

It just looks like the pink membrane and actual eyelid/eyebrow area is swollen.

I looked in the eye. No visible debri, cuts or anything. Eye looks a little cloudy.

10. Living_well

Living_well New Member

Oct 28, 2020
    Petersburg, KY
    Thank you.

MadHouse and happybleats like this.
  11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Terramycin is found at TSC. Its a tiny tube. Neosporin (w/o pain med) is human meds found at any drug store. Either one will work if there is irritation and or infection in the eye.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  12. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Are the ears swollen, too?

MadHouse likes this.
  13. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    How's your doeling today? Is she ok?