The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never seen this before. Last night our nubian was find but this morning both of her eyes are completely white and she has curtsies on her nose. She is shivering. I took her temp and it was 102 which I know is low. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I'm going to start her on antibiotics and vit b but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
102 is a normal temperature for an adult goat. However, it sounds like she may have come down with pink eye. Usually it comes on more slowly and affects one eye then the other, but I think in some cases (especially if it's viral not bacterial) it may be sudden like this. However, I have no personal experience and I hope others chime in. I'm assuming you meant to say "crusties" on the nose. What antibiotic are you giving? Personally, I'd be seeking help from a vet. Eyes suddenly going white is scary and you want to make sure she doesn't permanently lose her sight.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,193 Posts
Do you mean under the lid is white? It should be dark pink to red. Is her tongue white? Any swelling around her mouth or jaw?
White in the under eyelid area means anemic. That is caused by wormload. She will.need Thiamine injections. Depending on her weight. The information is in MEDICINE CHEST 2020. useing your advanced search it will.come up.
Is she eating & pooping normal. If. If not she can need a fecal done to understand what worms #s are to know what to treat her with.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you mean under the lid is white? It should be dark pink to red. Is her tongue white? Any swelling around her mouth or jaw?
White in the under eyelid area means anemic. That is caused by wormload. She will.need Thiamine injections. Depending on her weight. The information is in MEDICINE CHEST 2020. useing your advanced search it will.come up.
Is she eating & pooping normal. If. If not she can need a fecal done to understand what worms #s are to know what to treat her with.
no her complete eyeball is white, both of them

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,193 Posts
Ok. Thankyou.
Get some Terramicin..you can get it at TSC. Its a small tube in a yellow box
Put small amount in each eye. Use gloves. The tears comeing from the eyes carry the pink eye . You and the other goats can get it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just went and checked on her eyes. They are like a clowdy white color. Her pupal area is much darker. She does have a couple small spots on both eyes and they are a bright white. Her eyes are watering also. We did just open up a new pasture where the grass and everything are pretty high. I don't know ???

·
Super Moderator
32,217 Posts
There is a plant called Stypandra glauca ("nodding blue lily") That can cause blindness. I agree..Sudden onset is a good reason to vmgwt a vet involved. In the mean time..terramycin or Neosporin (w/o pain relief) in the eyes 4 times a day to protect and possible heal.

Reactions: GoofyGoat
1 - 14 of 14 Posts