The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this sweet girl who was attacked by a dog about a week ago, she received 25 stitches. Up until last night she was doing really well, a bit thin but that’s to be expected after trauma. Last night she was a little stiff in her neck and back legs and her eyes were really dilated so I brought her in and gave a booster of the CDT in case it was tetanus as well as a dose of b12.
I checked on her this morning and she was eating and pooping but I just got back from work now and she is on the floor of the kennel her neck is stiff as a board and she can’t stand. What do I do?! Is it too late?!

·
Banned
I am every where you can’t escape I know your Whereabouts I see you when your sleeping so Why hide
2,006 Posts
I don’t know much about sheep but here’s some body who might know [mention]Lil Boogie [/mention]

·
Banned
I am every where you can’t escape I know your Whereabouts I see you when your sleeping so Why hide
2,006 Posts
I really don’t want to let you down I don’t know to much so all show some of the best people on here [mention]happybleats [/mention] [mention]toth boer goats [/mention] [mention]Dandy Hill Farm [/mention] [mention]goatblessings [/mention]

·
Registered
I miss my ducks
5,723 Posts
Is she just stiff? Any other symptoms or anything? Temp? How is she now? Where is her wounds at?

Reactions: The Goat

·
Registered
I miss my ducks
5,723 Posts
Sorry I did not see this sooner, I've been taking care of a new rescue..

·
Registered
721 Posts
Is she still with us? What all has she had besides b12 and CDT booster?

I'd be considering antibiotics, tetanus antitoxin, something for pain (banamine), and soothing herbs for trauma.

·
Super Moderator
35,681 Posts
Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is she just stiff? Any other symptoms or anything? Temp? How is she now? Where is her wounds at?
I haven’t gotten a temp but I will get one. Her entire body is stiff and she cannot stand. I’m pretty sure it’s lock jaw. She starts kinda spasming whenever she hears any noises or there are lighting changes. I moved her to a very quiet and dark spot in my garage and covered her eyes which seems to have helped as she isn’t breathing so hard anymore but still very much alert.
Her wounds are on one of her back legs and tail.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is she still with us? What all has she had besides b12 and CDT booster?

I'd be considering antibiotics, tetanus antitoxin, something for pain (banamine), and soothing herbs for trauma.
Other than the cdt and b12 she hasn’t had anything. I don’t have any banamine is there anything else I can give her for pain?
I’m currently checking my local feed stores for the antitoxin. Would penicillin help? What herbs could I use?

·
Super Moderator
35,681 Posts
Treatment for tetanus is often unsuccessful but if Shes trying...
penicillin 1 cc per 20 pounds sub q 2 x a day. Banamine for pain and tetanus antitoxin to kill the bacteria. Recommend to give 2 full vials..they are about 5 cc each.

·
Super Moderator
35,681 Posts
What herbs could I use?
We used Frankincense ess. Oil helichrysum and oregano on our donkey with tetanus.
Lavender for deep muscle massage helps
Give 3000 mg vit c 2 times a day.

Recovery..if successful will be long and drawn out

Reactions: Lil Boogie

·
Registered
721 Posts
do you all think tetanus would set in that quickly? is that what you think is going on with the OP's goat?

if you have a vet you can call, they may give you a prescription for banamine over the phone.

in case it's not, definitely antibiotics and pain killers. B vitamins. Lavender is calming and antibacterial. Nutrient-rich dense drench if not eating- turmeric is good and easy, loads of vitamin C, fresh garlic. soothing herbs might be dill, fennel, comfrey, chamomile, raspberry leaves...

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
do you all think tetanus would set in that quickly?
From Merck Manual:
Clinical Findings of Tetanus in Animals
The incubation period of tetanus varies from one to several weeks but usually averages 10–14 days. Localized stiffness, often involving the masseter muscles and muscles of the neck, the hind limbs, and the region of the infected wound, is seen first; general stiffness becomes pronounced ~1 day later, and tonic spasms and hyperesthesia become evident.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update
my girl is fighting and still tries to escape whenever she detects any movement. She’s still swallowing and she peed and pooped today. I managed to get 10 ml of electros in her and you could tell she was happy for the moisture in her mouth. Im still working on getting her antitoxin and penicillin as both the vet and feed stores nearby are on back order for antitoxin and penicillin is by prescription only in CA.
Thank you all for your help and I will keep you updated!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts