911 on Bebop!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by SDK, Apr 17, 2009.

1. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    Ok.. so i was cleaning pens about two hours ago and saw bebop's jaw is SWOLLEN! ( i saw it from the bucks pen!)

so i pulled her out. It looks like bottle jaw. But it isn't

She was wormed yesterday with Ivomectin, orally at 1 cc per 35 pounds.
    eyelids and gums are bright pink
    temp is 103.1
    eating normal
    acting normal
    no signs of distress
    its realtively soft.. except for a lump on her right bottom side..

I'm thinking it's a hay splinter in her gums, but i can't tell.. can't get in far enough to see

I flushed her mouth with a peroxide/water solution and then a saline solution..

yesterday at 5 it was completely normal...

any clues? if it's not better by monday she goes to the vets on tuesday

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    still looks like bottle jaw to me. How do her eyelids look? Bottle Jaw is caused by the barber poll worm which I am not sure if Ivermectin takes care of

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
  4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    her eyelids are BRIGHT pink.. and i mean bright

I had a goat die from barbers last year.. so i got ivomectin which was reccomended by my vet... and this thing literally showed up in like.. 20 hours

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    bee sting?

try benadryl and see if it goes down

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Liver flukes can cause bottle jaw and not necessarily anemia. Only ivomec plus or valbazen will get rid of them.

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    ....would a spider bite do that??? just curious.. we get some larger spiders that run around and its possible she could have eaten one....

I will give her benadryl and see how it goes..

I know your supposed to worm SubQ for an "overload" but.. can she be OD'd on wormer? especially since she was wormed yesterday

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    would liver flukes make her jaw swell in less than a day?

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Has she had copper recently? As it says in the link copper deficiency can cause this.

Does she have swelling anywhere else?

Yes, a spider bite can cause that.

11. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Ivomec is incredibly hard to OD on. I would wait a week before worming her again though if the benadryl doesn't help.

12. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    I checked my handy dandy planner.. she last had copper november. a bolus.. though if memory serves me.. she chewed it up.. i can give her another one though.

no other swellings on her at all

also.. forgot.. she weighs 56 pounds .. so she hasn't lost any weight

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would give her more copper. Can't hurt and it might help strengthen her immune system so she can fight off what this is, if it isn't from copper deficiency.

14. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I might be the minority on this but I wouldn't bolus. Though not as common as in sheep, copper toxicity can occur in goats. If she's getting goat food and minerals she shouldn't be lacking. If you do in fact think that copper is the culprit, try something less powerful to see if it works. For instance red cell has copper in lower doses in it.

15. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    its been almost 6 months.. do you think a smaller amount of copper in the bolus would work? like maybe a quarter?

I got called into work today.. emergency.. so i can't go out and buy stuff.. I have nutri drench, would that work?

16. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Around here copper bolusing is given every 3 months by several breeders because this area is so deficient in copper. It looks like califonia is the same.

Since it's been six months I wouldn't hesitate to copper bolus, but thats just me. Especial since you said she chewed up the last bolus. You do what you feel is right for your goat. Here is also a great article on copper deficiency and bolusing. http://www.saanendoah.com/copper1.html :thumbup:

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that sticks out to me....a lump? Is the lump itself soft or hard?.......It almost sounds like a bug bite/sting or even as you had mentioned ...a splinter..... It does "look" like bottle jaw.....but the lump part... is throwing me off....... :scratch:

18. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    So i've literally worked all day! just got back from the goats.

the benadryl seems to be working the swelling is down by about 2/3's she had one last night, one this morning and one just about an hour ago.

i still gave her about a 1/3 of a normal bolus for copper.. and some nutri drench

toth.. it felt like a big bite inside her mouth.. like about the size of a nickle on the underside of her jaw.. but its gotta be on the inside..

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that's good that the..benadryl is working...then you should be on the right path.....but also ...if it was worms... then your treatment may also be working...treat her again in 7 to 10 days ...with Ivomac in case.... :wink: Use your best judgment on ....if she should be looked at by a vet.....she may also have a splinter....on the inside of her mouth to...that will have to come out..... :hug: :wink:

20. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Just a quick brainstorm on what could cause swelling in the jaw/throat area:

- bottle jaw from worm overload - barbers pole or liver fluke
    - abcess from foreign object (splinter or grass seed) entering through the mouth
    - abcess from vaccination or similar injection given high on the neck
    - abcess in the tooth root
    - lumpy jaw (actinomyces)
    - bee sting/spider bite etc

Is it hard or soft? Does it move freely or is it firmly attached to the jaw?