The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Vet confirmed that MW isn't a possibility; no sign of injury or other infection. Her best guess is selenium deficiency. A single dose might not have been enough to correct long term deficiency and she mentioned it could be more due to not having enough vitamin E to utilize it. She said the amount in Bo-Se is basically just a preservative and not sufficient alone so I added some BOSS and she'll get re-dosed in two weeks.
It seems odd that it would present out of the blue though. She was dosed before kidding and her doeling was fine, and she didn't have so much as low pasterns. Their minerals are 53 ppm (organic) plus 500 IU E which SHOULD be more than sufficient. They haven't been eating much since fresh forage came in, which is normal, but they go through it like candy until April or so. Our soil has virtually no selenium but the interweb says most fresh forage has plenty of vitamin E. But I don't have any other ideas.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Now give the selenium time to work.
That's all I can hope for. If she doesn't improve she'll go to the sale in a few weeks. I just put a $500 vet bill into my new herd sire who died anyway so my breeding plans are up in flames and I'm not putting more time and money into a mediocre doe.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
No progress after two rounds of Bo-Se and lots of E supplementation. The opposite - she's very weak now, can't stand unless I lift her and collapses almost immediately if I'm not supporting her. I don't think the actual condition is any worse but she has no muscle tone after weeks of being down 99% of the time. She just crawls around because it's easier. It still looks mechanical because she has normal control as long as she's not bearing weight - it's like her tendons suddenly lost their elasticity. So bizarre. I hate to give up on her because she's not a quitter. Last year she went down from worms but she's one of the few I've had come back from that. While she was still recovering she came down with a horrible case of pink eye; I thought she'd lose the eye at a minimum but after a jury rigged immune treatment it completely cleared up and she got her vision back. Made a total recovery from both and had a great doeling this year. She's still bright as active as her body allows like she was then. I don't have a lot of resources to put into an individual animal - if I knew what it was and that there was a chance of recovery I'd keep it up but it's so frustrating not knowing if it's permanent. And her hospital buddy is a cull that I want off the feed bill.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I am so sorry.
You may have to make that dreaded decision. :(
If I knew for a fact that it was permanent that would make it easier too. As much as a pain it is keeping her stalled I think I'm still going to try to get a second opinion with a cheaper vet. It's an hour and a half drive but I've been wanting to re-establish a client relationship with him anyway. I'm just not sure how much he could do to diagnose when he doesn't have a clinic or fancy equipment for testing. But it's usually under $100.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts