A ? about copper

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Victoria, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Wow! I haven't been on here in months!! Hi everyone!!
    I went through some of the postings about copper and my head is spinning..
    So here's my question..My does all have thin coats, rough, the black does coat is reddish looking..My doeling that I am selling next month has a terribly broken coat and she looks horrid!!
    Olivia was here yesterday, she said it looks like copper defficency..But I am horribly afraid to give any kind of bolus..
    My goats have free access to Purina meat maker minerals..
    I looked on line for copper boluses, and my head started spinning worse!!
    One web site had stuff called Goat Aide...

So I am really hoping for some serious support here..
    I have heard terrible things about od-ing goaties on copper..

Any ideas??Experience?? Worries??

Thanks so very much..and I hope ya'all are doin great!!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like you need to find a different mineral for your area what you are using isnt working (minerals arent a one size fits all).

I have found great results with Southern States Top Choice but never really liked Sweet Lix meat maker. Purina goat minerals were ok but not great.

Bolusing isnt that terrible actually since it gives a slow release of the copper.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Can you check your tag for copper amounts? And the calcium levels?
    If your mineral is not goat specific (know nada about Purina) it wont have enough.
    I used Sweet Lix for yrs they loved it, but found something better.

4. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Looked today for the calcium, the tag is gone.
    I do have horse guard I am giving now..
    What oter brands are there that are good??
    Purina is for goaties...

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    After my tragic experience with copper supplementing, I am trying Golden Blend minerals from Hoeggars. Actually this is the first "goat specific" minerals I'll be using.....which is likely one of the reason's mine have a deficiency to begin with :sigh:

Anyhow, I just filled the feeder tonite for the first time in over 2 weeks due to my paranoia...I will update as to wether it is working.

6. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I read on one web site today that cow minerals are better that goat specific minerals...hmmm..no I don't believe every thing I read...I will try the Hoeggers minerals, they seem to know what they are doing...

Liz, What happened?? if you don't mind me asking..as I said I haven't been on here for a while..

7. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    I was paranoid about copper OD, so I just gave a partial bolus. One goat at the copper in a marshmallow, the other goats got a little sprinkled on their grain (it was a new batch of grain that has molasses, so the copper stuck to it well).

I have been adding a small amount of copper sulfate to their mineral on a regular basis - a quarter tsp of it added to about a cup and a half of mineral (for 4 goats). Hoping that will maintain them at a good level without having to bolus.

My milk doe's coat is looking great! She was horribly rough a couple months ago.

8. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I copper bolused my goats, my friends 9 goats and my step sons 3 goats. We've all seen a huge improvement in their coats. As long as you weigh the copper out correctly you should be fine. When I bolused the goats I popped it down their throats in a capsule, just like you would pill a cat. Except you cut the end off of a 3ml syringe put some yogurt, probios or pudding in it to make to capsule slide down the throat easier and then insert the capsule in the syringe too. Open the goats mouth, put the syringe in as far back as you can and push the plunger.

I buy my copper from Jeffers http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pro ... w=copasure

This is how I weigh it out http://www.u-sayranch.com/goats/copper.html
    I bought a digital scale from a smoke shop. My aunt saves her capsules for me from her acidophilus pills so I can make boluses with them.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    can you give us the product name and such from jeffters? the link doesnt work.

10. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
  11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If you can get Sweet Lix Meat makers mineral, that is the best mineral that I have found that has the cooper that my goats need.

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    SweetGoats: Do you have to supplement with the bolus then or no? We have access to SweetLix Meat Maker minerals and I was using that until just this last time when I bought a bag of Purina. Maybe I will stick with the Sweetlix from now on.

13. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I just ordered from Hoeggers I think it's a better deal, they don't charge for shipping for the minerals..

So should I or should I not bolus them??

14. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I use Sweetlix Meat Maker too but I still end up bolusing my goats every 6 months. I think I pay $23 for a 25lb bag at my feed store.

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I did use a bolus on ONE of my goats a few weeks ago, and that is the first time i have had to do it in YEARS. All the rest of my goats are fine.

I used the Purina but it is not a 2/i Calf, Phos ratio so I will not use it and it did not have enough Cooper.

16. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Thank you SO much!! You have all been so helpful!!

I just need to clarify if I should bolus the worse looking doe

17. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Yes, if she was mine I would bolus her.

18. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Liz, I too would like to know your bad experience with bolusing.
    The few goats I've bolused turned out great. But then I highly suspected copper deficiency in them with hair loss around eyes, muzzle, bronzing of coat and split tail.

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
  20. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    In my opinion there's a big difference between bolusing and drenching with the copper sulfate. The bolus should provide a slow release..while the sulfate is a lot different, AND it's just one form of copper, that would make it way easier to OD on I'd think. Just my 2 cents. :)