A Big Delema

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by dutch, Jan 10, 2008.

1. dutch

dutch Guest

Oct 7, 2007
    One of our goats had triplets last Fri. (Actually quads, but 1 didn't make it) She has 2 girls and a boy, and for some reason, she doesn't want to nurse one of the girls. She will stand for the other 2, but walks away and slightly butts the other girl. I don't know whether to take the one and bottle feed her, or see if it works out, but I have some fear she will hurt the one.
    We've been putting her up on a hoof trimming stand to make her nurse the one and feed her the grain while she's there, but it's getting very hard. The baby seems so manic, she jumps from teat to teat, and drinks as much as she can.

I'm just not sure what to do. All three are healthy and lively and love to play and explore together, but that Mom scares me.
    Please let me know what you think?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    depends if you want to keep putting the mom up to feed the kid - which is about as often as you would need to bottle feed BUT she may get the hang of it soon and realize she has 3 to take care of.

is this the same doeling you saved? If so mom has been rejecting her from the start - I personally would just bottle feed if I had the time and I thought she would take to the bottle.

3. dutch

dutch Guest

Oct 7, 2007
    It IS the same doeling we saved. I didn't think of that, but that very well may be why she was so weak.
    I think you're right, and we should bottle feed. I don't think the Mom has enough milk for all 3. Last year we had a bottle baby, and fed him fresh cows milk fro a neighbor farmer. Will it cause intestinal problems to switch her to that at this time? I know she will accept a bottle, I fed her with one when I had her in the house for a day.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if you can, milk mom a bit to mix in with the new milk for a day or so, if that isn't a possibility - milk is better then no milk and she will get use to it. Right now they have soft stools anyway just watch for her hunching up like she is in pain. But this rarely happends and I doubt you will have an issue with fresh cows milk.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'll agree with Stacey, it's entirely possible that mom is either not making enough or she just doesn't want to care for this baby. I would get her on that bottle and make sure she is eating. If you can get some from mom and mix it it will help to transition her back to the cows milk, if you can't I'm sure shell be fine, as Stacey said, cows milk is better than no milk. Just watch for scours, you may have to give her some pedialyte or gatorade til they subside.

6. dutch

dutch Guest

Oct 7, 2007
    We got her started on a bottle last night. This morning she drank 9 oz. in record time. I'm not sure if I should feed her 3 x a day or 4 x a day. I've seen 3 different schedules for her age- 1 week- what do you think?

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would go with 4 times a day - 9 ounces is a lot at this time for her. I wouldn't allow her to eat that much at one time until she is a little older.

8. dutch

dutch Guest

Oct 7, 2007
    Oh shoot! I was going by Fiasco Farms schedule which has 10-12 oz. 4 x a day after 4 days old, but kept it conservative. She drank 8 oz. last night at 8:00, then we fed her this morning. Maybe I'll cut back for the rest of today's feedings.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well i never saw Fiasco Farms site on bottle feeding though I usually agree with them on a lot of things on this I disagree.

Kids take small amounts from mom all day long, it is best to try to recreate that especially when under a week old. Their bodies can't handle large amounts.

I have been assuming she is a dairy or boer goat but I should confirm that with you.

8 ounces is what I would feed for the first week and then into the second after that I up it as needed. I guess i never made it a big science on the number of feedings and the amounts.

10. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    my alpine babies will drink 10 to 12 oz every 6 hrs then i cut them back to 10oz at 4,8,12,4,8, i do milk my does tho & pasturize there milk so i have plenty. i guess it depends on what bed or size she is. again tho it is what works for you & her.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well again --- another personal choice.

dutch, do what you feel works for you girl there.

12. dutch

dutch Guest

Oct 7, 2007
    She is a Boer, and when we still held the Mom for her to nurse, we would let her drink for a good 10 min. because she'd go from teat to teat, and act a little crazy tring to get more. So I guess that's why I thought 8 oz. would be o.k., and I was hoping to keep it to 3 times a day, although I have the time to do 4. It's just that she is so dependant and bonded with us already, I wanted to keep our contact to a minimum (which isn't easy, she is so sweet) so she would remember she is a goat, and bond with her siblings.
    I also have some lamb and kid paste to give her to help keep her rumen working well thru the transition.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well then her body is probably use to the larger amounts then, so do what you feel is best for her and with the recomendation by fritzie that the amount is safe I feel more comfortable with it.