A big suggestion to anyone with breeding goats

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by StaceyRosado, Aug 18, 2010.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I get contacted at different times throughout the year via text or email and I dont mind this at all! I try my best to help but it can be hard when people are not prepared for emergencies and they turn to me for help and my questions are returned with "I dont have that"

PLEASE PLEASE if you have a pregnant goat for any reason at all I BEG you have the following on hand. May you never need them or need them in an emergency situation but when you do you will appreciate having them on hand even if you have to dig to find it in your medicine chest or dust it off from sitting on the shelf.

A tube for tubing weak kids
    Weak Kid Syringe from jeffers - $2.85
    http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pro ... f_id=16746

BoSe RX only or Selenium vit E gel - $6.95 from Jeffers
    http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pro ... id=0030913

Last but not least have 2 YES 2 thermometers. Digital and get the one that is a quick read out. I like my 9 second read out (sometimes takes like 15 seconds but still not bad).
    Not more then $11.00 at walmart or CVS.

I was so glad the day I needed my weak kid tube I had it. I was scared stiff the first time I used it and I dont take tubing a kid lightly. But I will do it when needed. It isnt hard and can be the difference between saving a kid or having it die on you! Please make the choice now to spend the 3.00!

The time I needed the selenium gel I was so glad I had it. BoSe is better but not everyone can get their hands on it and the gel will work in a pinch.

2. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    this is not to point fingers in anyway to anyone on here who contacted me - I am sure you would all agree that having things on hand is so helpful in an emergency situation

3. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    You're absolutely right Stacey. Thumbs up. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...don't find yourself panicked at 3am in need of these things, trust me!

4. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    What's everyone else keep on hand for emergencies? I've heard of some using a Karo Syrup combo for weak kids, some even a tiny bit of whisky, never tried that one myself for bringing weak kids around. And yes Stacey those are all great ideas and pointers on what to have on hand for kidding and such.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    we have a list going on what people should have on hand -- its in the 101 section I think.

But these three things have come up in conversations with individuals on here and off the board and some have them and some dont so it was on my mind for them specifically since at least for the tube and selenium its not a common thing for people to have on hand OR think they will ever need.

I KNOW people are afraid to tube feed but in all honesty its not hard at all and you will know if you get it into the lungs (difficult to do)- I have only ever done that once and I knew immediately.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Very good subject to bring up....easy enough to pick up a couple of those digital thermometers from the dollar store, I have 3 of them...1 in the barn and 2 in the vet box. Another thing to add here...once you have those cuddly kids all dry and happy, the time you spend holding and loving them can be a learning experience as well, feel the kids legs and hooves and take a mental note on the difference between the hind leg and the front leg, when assisting in a birth, knowing which part is coming first really helps.

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I agree.....thumbs up Stacey.....I think this goes for all emergencies.....I do no breeding, but even with my wethers I have had things happen and it is always when the vets office is closed! Through reading post and the 101 section I have created a goat medical kit! I bought a large tote at the dollar store and I continue to add to it as I have extra money......I started out with the most important stuff. If you add items a little at a time it isn't such a big hit to your wallet!

8. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    :thumb: Good advice. I have a feeding tube, and I pray that I never have to use it, but still, I know it's there. (Maybe I'm superstitious, but I also feel like having it means it's less likely I'll need it. You know, like how when you remember to bring your umbrella it never rains, but when you forget it, it pours.)

The kidding kit list which is somewhere on here is SUCH a great resource and I would also highly recommend reading through that before kidding! I've got all my stuff in a plastic bucket with a lid and it's so great having it all in one place. Plus the bucket gives me a place to sit when I'm waiting for those silly does to kid!