A Buying Nightmare...

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by HoosierShadow, Jun 7, 2020.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thank you, I agree I think he is going to shape up. He is already looking better. I think I am more upset with the condition he was in when we picked him up. He had a massive belly, like a balloon, the mites, the hooves.

2. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Im sure you were. But his confirmation is still nice. True hes not as thick in appearance . But hes not all covered in thick hair. And looking at your twin bucks. Does & kidds...:great: This little guy WILL NOT be little long. Hang on, once he starts feeling at home. Hes going to get huge! Stress is so hard on these young ones
    Hes had a BIG CHANGE! Plus..hes been sucked on by those parasites..poor little one. Hes in Great Hands now...oh..and hang onto your heart...:inlove: If you havent lost it already!:love:

Iluvlilly! and toth boer goats like this.

3. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Oh yeah he knows he's already got me wrapped around a hoof lol, he's so sweet and really starting to settle in and get used to us and his routine. He wants so badly to be with the January buck & wether. Eventually the wether will be his buddy.
    He's eating better and had a good day. He weighs 69.9lbs and was born 3/2 so I don't think that is too bad, he's just slightly lighter most of our boys were at that age.

Now we need to find a name for him. My daughter had me submit a name, but I completely forgot to look and see if they'd already used it - yep... so we have to find another name. I'm drawing a blank. Still no barn name yet either.

4. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    I’m dying to know what the name is! Is it something super common?

Sfgwife and Moers kiko boars like this.
  5. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Mission Impossible. My neighbors son suggested it and she loved it but realized after sending off the form that I should've checked and sure enough it's been used.

6. CountyLineAcres

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Awwwe! That’s too bad. I guess he and the breeder think alike lol. You could always save it for a son of his in the future with your own prefix! That way you don’t have to worry about a duplicate name.

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  7. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Yep she definitely could! So now she wants to go with one of my ideas and I don't see it being used - Outlaw's Reward. We did a Hank Williams Jr. song theme on some of our kids this year (Ain't Misbehavin', Attitude Adjustment, Chasing Yesterday, Ramblin' Man, etc.), so we'll try to submit this one for use and even though he isn't a home bred, it would still go with our name theme this year.
    Outlaw's Reward is one of my favorite songs - the live version performed with Travis Tritt & Marty Stewart (Waylon Jennings dedication at the Opry). I grew up listening to country music, and thought it would be a fun theme.

8. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

You could call him Ethan Hunt. :) :2c:

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  9. CountyLineAcres

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    I love Outlaw’s Reward!

10. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thank You! I was hoping we would get to name one Outlaw's Reward, so it makes me happy. ABGA is putting it in my daughters file for when they get his paperwork done.
    Now to get my kids to give me registered names for their 4 May babies so I can get them done. Hoping to take them to a show next month. We sold most of the young goats my kids were going to show, and have a couple that are not show correct :( (hoping this guy could fix that issue with those girls mamas).

The new guy still doesn't have a barn name. He was so full of himself this morning, it was a cool night in the upper 50s so everyone was full of it. He wants someone to play with so badly, and doesn't understand he can't play with me. I tried to get video of him running around and being silly, but at least this shows he is perky, active and much happier :) He knows which stall is his which is so funny because he'll run out, bounce around and go right back to his stall. He hasn't taken up to my son or daughter yet, so he runs to his stall if he thinks they are going to get him lol.
    Next weekend our last January buckling is scheduled to leave, so the wether that is in with him will become this guys buddy.

Don't mind the mess, I was just starting to clean stalls, and let him run around vs. putting him straight into his day time pen behind the barn (next to the January boys and across from the big bucks).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    He is looking good and feeling good, LOL. ;)

12. CountyLineAcres

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Lol he is just so cute!!

13. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
  14. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hes going to be a fun boy! I like his personality. He is already looking better. Even with that baby face!

15. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    He’s super cute!

16. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks :) You guys are making me feel better about taking him on lol! He's definitely my little shadow now. I love that he follows me around.

Okay, so today I scrubbed his front legs with soap and tried to get some of the nustock off, I do think it's irritating his skin and causing an issue. His front left is very puffy, and sore. I spent an hour scrubbing scabs off of all his legs, then sprayed all 4 legs thoroughly with Chlorhexidine.
    Tomorrow I'm planning to shave his legs. I was going to do it tonight, but felt it was too much stress on him (and my neck/arm).
    If the swelling is still bad tomorrow, do you guys think I should just continue with Chlorhexidine spray for another 24 hours or consider putting him on PenG? we started to give him the PenG, but my husband said he didn't need it so we only did 1 shot (bad I know), but worried too about overloading him since he just finished up Sulfadimethoxine 5 day treatment.

Other than the swollen leg, he seems to be doing great. He knows which stall is his at night, and where his day time pen is at. It's funny because he LOVES his stall lol.

Terrible cell phone pics from this evening, but shows the swelling which is worse than before, but again I think nustock might have been irritating it, so got as much off as I could, that stuff is worse than glue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The white foot is looking and feeling much better. Worst feet are the front left/red and the back right.
    [​IMG]

Learning to be tied up. Lousy cell phone pics, ugh, I think a setting got changed, everything is wide angle I'll have to fix it. Eventually I'll get the real camera out...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This made me laugh, he was trying to watch me over the halter lol
    [​IMG]

17. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    He already looks better! He looks way more attentive and looks like he is already filling out more. I knew you could do it! I think he is really growing on me too and I only see him threw pictures lol

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Remember before, I had mentioned secondary infection from having mites bad?
    Start antibiotics, a full schedule, give benadryl for the allergic reaction of the mites for a few days.

Have you put Ivomec pouron directly on the bad area's, then a few days later, put on Nu-stock every 3 days.

I don't think Nu-stock caused the swelling, unless you have been putting Nu-stock on daily instead of every 3 days? If so, it is high in Sulfur and can be irritating.

19. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks I appreciate it! He's definitely acting so much happier. Hoping he'll get more cover on him to match the belly lol. He weighed 69.9lbs, so we'll weigh him every 7-10 days when we weigh the May kids. I have not done a fecal yet, but we did do cocci prevention (would have done it anyway with moving stress), eyelids are dark red, but want to be sure. I think he was probably in a barn and not out on pasture per his feet being so clean (and the way they were overgrown- no dirt).

Yep I agree about secondary infection. I was going to see if any change this evening before putting him on antibiotics, I did Chlorhexidine spray, would that not help? If not then we'd definitely do the injectable, just trying not to poke him if we could treat it topically.

I did do Ivermectin Pour On 6 days ago, and rubbed a little on his legs and under the dew claws, I do think that aided in irritating his already cracked/raw skin. I did a mix of NuStock/Diaper rash ointment in the evenings, very little Nu stock, so that's why I thought the Nustock is irritating it. I usually have 0 issues using Nustock like that. But then I've never had one with mites this severe. that's why I washed his legs yesterday to get as much stuff off as possible wit clean and clear shampoo (mild/non irritating), blow dried and did Chlorhexidine.
    Poor little guy. He's a trooper though.

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  20. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    While you are working on one leg. Wrap the other legs with a cold/ frozen towel. Just to cool off the swollen area? It just helps.to reduce the inflammatory effects of rubbing irritation.
    And I agree with jessica84!!!

Iluvlilly! likes this.