A Buying Nightmare...

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by HoosierShadow, Jun 7, 2020.

1. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    With my buck who got the mites so bad, then secondary infection I used the oxytetracycline. It worked well. In people at least, true cellulitis usually needs systemic antibiotics.

If the NuStock is irritating his skin, what about using plain Vaseline? It will soothe the skin and may help further smother the mites.

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Chlorhexidine won't do a lot.
    If there are any mites at all alive, they need to be smothered.
    Nustock does that.

You can also use banamine for a few days, which also help with swelling and pain or as needed.

Nuflor is a good choice if you have it.

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    So feeling his leg tonight - it doesn't feel puffy, but is back to feeling rough and scabby which seems to make it appear really swollen? The skin isn't as red or irritated but again, skin is very rough/scabby. I soaked his legs in Permethrin yesterday which has aided in getting rid of mites - I've had good success with it in the mite fight (lol).

I was thinking I should try the Ear Mite cream that I've used in the past, but reading the label on line it states not to use on irritated skin or cuts/wounds.
    https://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/products/ear-mite-killer-lotion-dogs-cats-horses

I was going to see if he is improved more in the morning and if not then start antibiotics. I can get Nuflor from my neighbor, otherwise I have PenG. I prefer not to use LA200 if possible as my bottle looks weird (dark/black), and seems the last few times I've used LA200 even with a new bottle, it's left a weird knot that turned into a sore? I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

Any other ideas on soothing skin in case the Nustock is irritating it? I can try Nustock with Vaseline instead of the diaper rash ointment I was using.

Another random video from this evening. Still sore on that foot, but the skin doesn't look as 'mad' just feels very dry and scaly.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes, LA200 is hard on them and can leave a lump on those her are more sensitive to it.

Maybe try organic extra virgin coconut oil. It has healing properties and is an oil to smother any mites left behind.
    Put it on 2 x a day until healed.

Iluvlilly! and HoosierShadow like this.
  5. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Ive never tried it, but a person on this TGS said they use vetRx for mites. Apply it on the skin. Could that be used?

Iluvlilly! and HoosierShadow like this.
  6. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks, I used to have good luck with LA200, I wonder what is going on with it? The last 2 bottles I've gotten have not been very good and had weird results.

Question on the coconut oil, do you think it would draw flies? I'm worried about flies bothering him as he either has some random spots of mites that were coming up on his sides/neck, or they are old fly bites. It's hard to tell if they are new ones. Very random, but I'm keeping an eye on them. I am spraying him with fly spray and rubbing it in but it's so hard to get a good spray without breaking the bank. I may end up going back to using Permethrin/Skin So Soft mixture. The flies aren't horrible, but seem to be a few more of them around his daytime pen.

I've never used vetRx but have heard it's good stuff. I can't remember which vetRx product you'd use for this situation?

7. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    The one we were talking about is the poultry one . You put it up the goats nose for congestion. They used it for mite/lice control. They said it killed them.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You can set out a little bit in a jar lid and see if flies attract to it. ;)

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  9. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'll have to look for it! Thanks! I know I've heard of people using it.

That's a good idea, I didn't think of that lol! I also forgot to look at the store for it today!
    His leg looks slightly better. I am going to put him on the stand tomorrow and go over him and see if we're making progress. It'll be 8 days from Ivermectin Pour On treatment. I may reapply tomorrow instead of Thurs, and put some on his legs except the one that is swollen - I'm afraid it will irritate it. I will look for the coconut oil or Moers suggestion of VetRx but may not be going out for a couple of days - I did all of my errand running the last 2 days.
    Or.. try the Vaseline and Nustock every other day? I did put some on yesterday morning.

10. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Ok so the swelling is gone from his leg, still looks puffy but that is just from the dry skin and scabs that have formed yet again. He has some scabs on his chest going up the underside of his neck and some random spots - I'd been keeping an eye on him in case it was fly bites. But I am suspecting mites.
    I retreated with Ivermectin Pour On down his back, and put some randomly on 3 legs, but not on the leg that is the worst so it doesn't irritate his skin.
    I mixed Nustock and Vaseline (my usual treatment) and lathered all 4 legs and chest with it.

I sprayed the rest of him down with Bronco fly spray.

I'm not sure what else I can do to treat aggressively? I have to go to the bank later, so I may see if the local horse supply store still has that ear mite cream and after a couple of days of the Vaseline/Nustock to loosen scabs, I can clean the leg off and apply the Ear mite cream.
    Or see if a store in town happens to have the Vet Rx. My only issue looking at VetRx is it's only a 2oz. bottle for $10, I have a lot of goat to cover and need to be mindful of what I am spending.

11. NicoleV

NicoleV Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2015
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I didn't have time to read the whole thread, but have you tried treating the mites with injectable ivermectin 1% vs the pour on you said you tried again?

I just went through a mite issue with one of my goats and learned the hard way that the dosage has to be correct otherwise you won't get a result. I had a goat about 120-130lbs that always gets mites every winter. This year it was worse than before and she was even getting dandruff that caused her hair to fall out and get so thin I was worried she wasnt staying warm enough. She looked terrible and I felt so bad. I dosed her with 5cc injectable ivermectin every ten days for a total of three times. That was the dosage according to what I found on the internet of 1-2cc per 50lbs and I was leaning on the high side. Well guess what, nothing happened. The mites just laughed at me and I wasted 15cc of ivermectin and the poor goat wasn't any better! And then I thought shoot, maybe my ivermectin is old and I tried to get more, but it was hard to get because of Corona virus. So last resort I increased the dose to 6cc and went through the whole schedule again of doing it for three rounds every ten days. This time it worked! What a difference that extra cc made!

So long story short, maybe try the injectable version. And make sure the dosage is correct and you have an accurate weight for the goat. That may have been my mistake the whole time actually, but I learned the hard way.

12. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks NicoleV! Yep you really have to dose it correctly. I haven't used the injectable in many years so I can't recall the dosage, but I have it in my goat binder.
    Honestly, I think I am trying to rush the progress. Talking with a friend today it has only been about 10 days since we started treating him. I'm just so used to fast results - patience is not my thing in these situations lol
    I do have a scale so that I have correct weight/dosage. He's getting a little extra Ivermectin Pour On as I put it down the back, then some extra on his legs. I try not to use the injectable unless last resort which thankfully have not had to do - last time I used it was in 2013 and thought I'd killed a doe, she had a horrible reaction to it, so much so I stopped using it. So hopefully this guy gets cleared up soon.
    We do deal with mites off and on year round, I've just never had one this severe.

Leaning towards calling him Max as my kids have made no attempt to name him. My daughter worked with him on the halter today for the first time (usually I bring him out when she's training one of her other goats), he did really well for her.

Today he weighed in at 75.4lbs and I think is 15 weeks old so I feel he isn't too far from where I'd want him to be. Our boys have had no mite issues, and fed well so it's not fair to compare him to them since we don't know how he has been raised.

13. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thought I'd do another update. Okay, so his leg is back to being extremely scabby and irritated, not swollen, but it's sore. Gut feeling is, Nustock is possibly irritating this leg. So, I went to the local horse supply store and picked up a bottle of their locally made Iodine Medicated shampoo w/Aloe. I've not had a lot of luck with mite related issues and the tea tree oil shampoos in the past so I wanted something different. I'm getting ready to go out and wash/scrub his legs with this shampoo, get him dried and use Chlorhexidine for a few days and see if we get anywhere. I just did the Ivermectin Pour On treatment yesterday, and I do know I need to give it time, but darn it patience is not my strong suit in this situation. But I do feel this leg is not getting better other than not being swollen/puffy just very dry and scabby/scales.
    I did apply some more Nustock/Vaseline this morning - trying to get things loosened up, so we'll get it all washed off and see if we can get some scabs off.

Otherwise, he seems to be doing really good. He was bouncing around the barn while we were cleaning stalls, he's so silly.
    Does are locked in the back today, so he ventured out into their pen for a bit to look around, then even went over near the temporary gate setup for the moms w/babies/young does that are in the front. That is the furthest he's felt comfortable leaving the barn.

Here he is this morning. Silly guy had an oops moment there on the panel (lol dork), but it irritated his leg.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I hope he works out well for you.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good luck, hope something works soon.

16. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks I appreciate it! We'll see how he is in the morning, if no improvement over the weekend I am going to consult with the vet to see if he has any suggestions on getting it cleared up, but hopefully I won't have to have him out here until we need health papers for a show next month.
    I think this is just going to take time to clear up. He has some raw places on the back of his back legs just below the hocks and his left rear leg is very sore. It kind of looks like the fungus that one of our does had a few months ago when she had mites, it wasn't anywhere near this bad. I used the Chlorhexidine spray in the evenings and Dr. Naylor's Hoof & Heal in the mornings, but no way I am putting Dr. Naylor's on him that stuff burns (but it's good stuff!).
    Fingers crossed this works!

17. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Me too lol :)

Have you tried ST-37 on him? It's good for all kinds of wounds, I used it on Merlins scrotum this winter whe he had mites..before I used the nustock and it helped. I got mine off Amazon but some pharmacies still carry it and it's been around forever. It works great for humans too.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  18. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    No, I've honestly never heard of that before? I've started antibiotics, but seems to make it worse so stopped. Nustock and/or Nustock/Vaseline or Nustock/Diaper rash ointment seems to make it worse so we are ruling those out of his treatment. So far the only thing I've found that seems to possibly be helping is Chlorhexidine.
    We scrubbed his feet/legs yesterday with the Iodine medicated shampoo, and this morning they look a little better. The worst foot/leg looks slightly better. I sprayed all 4 legs with Chlorhexidine again this morning. He was bouncing, playing and being silly through the barn when we were cleaning this morning so he seems to be feeling good.

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  20. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

He is looking like he can become a looker. Be patient with him. He needs tlc and he knows who his new mom is.
    He trusts you and likes the other goats.