A Buying Nightmare...

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by HoosierShadow, Jun 7, 2020.

1. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Only thing I would suggest, yet by already treating, may make the test off. Is to have a deep tissue scraping done and find out what the heck this is. How frustrating for sure.
    If is was mites they would be killed off long ago. So now we most likely rule that out, unless he is immuned to all mite treatments.

I agree, sore mouth seems wrong.
    He would have it on his mouth by now.

Use a black light to see if it is ringworm. If it isn't.
    I would try coconut oil as I mentioned prior. It has healing and soothing properties.

2. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Pam - I agree, I think surely the mites should be dead. I really think this is a secondary fungal infection or Staph, I really don't know how to tell them apart. Is it possible that the mites maybe died under the skin and caused an infection? Can Coconut oil help with fungal/bacterial infections? I feel like I need to get to the root of the issue to kill off whatever it is, then help the skin heal. The skin is so thick with whatever this stuff is.

I feel like maybe the Fluid Film might be helping, but it's so hard to know for sure as I've only used it twice. I was able to get some of the scabs loose today and compared to yesterday I think maybe there is progress? Yesterday on his severe leg under the dew claw when I worked scabs loose it was raw, red or trying to bleed a bit. This morning I was able to rub off a lot of the scaly scabs and saw less rawness. Same with his other legs.

I sprayed his legs with Chlorhexidine this morning, but want to get him on the stand this afternoon and see if my husband can help me work scabs loose, and maybe blow his legs out. I'd really like to wash his legs with the medicated shampoo to help work the scabs off, but I'm so afraid the water/moisture is adding to the problem? Ugh. So hard to know what is the right thing to do.

Either way, if no big improvement by Monday I will be contacting the small animal vet around the corner and see if she can help me with him, maybe do a skin scrape and go from there? Definitely bizarre.

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.

3. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Not sure if you already did..but did you try any essential oils? I used to treat my rabbits mites with a sea salt wash and then smother the area with a mixture of olive oil and tea tree oil. Rosehip essential oil also helps the skin heal. This was after they showed resistance to ivermectin...and it seemed to clear the problem. Iv never tried it on goats though....poor boy, his legs look terrible. Hope this helps a bit...

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Several studies have demonstrated coconut oil aids in wound healing.
    It sped up healing, improved antioxidant status and increased levels of collagen, an important protein that aids in wound healing.

Coconut oil helps ease the pain and keeps infections at bay, thanks to moisturizing, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacteria properties. In fact, coconut oil helps prevent scarring as well.

If you are seeing results in what you are using now, by all means continue with it.

5. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks for the info Pam! I will definitely be keeping coconut oil in mind!

Fingers crossed, but I do think he may possibly be improving! I didn't get a chance to put him on the stand, but I did feel on his legs, pulled more scabs loose, and put on some fresh Fluid Film.

I've not found a lot of info on Fluid Film online, but from what I have found on some cattle & sheep sites, it's highly recommended for fungus and ringworm. Very interesting. If this clears the little guy up then I will definitely be sold on it's value.

Aasiya - Thank you :) I'm really thinking this is a secondary issue. I treated him pretty aggressively for the mites (my usual protocol for dealing with mites), but I feel that this is some kind of weird fungus, I've never seen mites do this. But again will keep these ideas in mind!

6. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Glad to know he's improving! :)In case it really is a fungus, tea tree oil is a great antifungal and has been shown to be effective in staph infections as well. It will also be helpful with ringworm, but for ringworm my treatment of choice is metronidazole lotion/topical cream. Iv used it successfully in kittens, as they can't tolerate tea tree.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hey there. I just left my vet. And I have some info for you. He was telling me DO NOT use iodine for the navels on newborns. If it is too strong it will cause umbilical/ or close proximity hernias! There have been several vets document
    This information. I said I have never seen it. Yes its in several vet blogs. He said to use a Surgical solution example betodine..it has iodine & provodine and its balanced. No umbilical or that proximity of hernias. Just wanted to share with you.

9. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks for that info Moers I appreciate it! I've never heard to not use Iodine before? Very interesting. You know... that bottle of Iodine I used in January... I also wonder if I left it in the barn through the summer then through the winter - all the temp changes, I wonder if that can cause it to go bad or be less effective? I keep the triodine that I bought in the house.

Well Max's leg is not getting better and looks just as bad as it did a few days ago - with the exception I can get the scabs off. Looks infected per my thoughts and a friend that I have consulted with.

I washed his legs today with the Iodine medicated shampoo to get all the stuff off, scabs, and dirt (his legs were yucky). 3 legs definitely look better. But that bad leg... ugh.

Be prepared, these pics are... yuck. Any guesses? A friend told me to try Triple Antibiotic Ointment, and another friend has suggested Athlete's foot cream. After washing and getting scabs off and trimming his hooves, I sprayed him down with Chlorhexidine, and gently blow dried leaving his legs clean and dry so air can get to it. I wanted to shave his legs, but so afraid to get whatever this is into my clippers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

His other legs were no where near as bad as this, but they are looking better - the next two pics show what they look like when the scabs are off and they seem to be in the healing phase.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right front looks good, but has some scabs on the inside part of the legs I've been working loose you can kind of see it on the right side of the pic by my fingers.
    [​IMG]

Video of that horrible leg - You can see lots of scabs that are coming off of the area below the knee, 2 days ago I couldn't get one scab off, so I feel the Fluid film has definitely helped in getting those loosened up where I could get them off.

And here's a quick video of him this evening after his torture treatment. He is such a good boy considering everything he's been through. Don't mind me picking off an old scab on his neck, I'm not finding any new ones coming up thankfully.

10. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I would take him to a vet and let them take scrapings and diagnose if its fungal or bacterial. Poor baby.

11. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
  12. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Yep :( To say I am mad about this is an understatement. No reason this guy has to go through all of this because he was neglected. He's such a sweet little guy, he doesn't deserve to go through this :(

The vet is not in until Monday, I completely forgot they are not there on Saturdays. I think I am going to see how it looks in the morning and try the triple antibiotic ointment since I have that on hand and see if it helps at all until I can get him checked out.

13. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Sounds like you’ve tried a lot of other stuff-have you tried giving him zinc?

14. Iluvlilly!

Iluvlilly! Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Wow the poor cutie. He definitely is a super nice looking buck though:inlove: Sorry, to hear about the mites(console) Hope he get's better soon! Your doing a great job(thumbup)

15. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Poor little guy! I agree a vet visit is in order.

With all the things you’ve tried, is it possible they’re just irritating his skin further? Chlorhexidine is pretty gentle, but iodine can cause reactions as can many antibiotic creams/ointments. Be careful with triple antibiotic cream as it can cause reactions too.

Do goats get eczema or other skin problems like that? Could it be an autoimmune problem?

Keeping him in my thoughts and hope you get it figured out soon.

16. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks Everyone I appreciate it!

Max's leg looked better this morning! Not as irritable as in those pics/video. I know that doesn't mean he is going to get better, but at least it doesn't look worse.
    I did put some triple antibiotic ointment on his leg, but if it looks like it's irritating it this afternoon then I will try to figure out a way to get it off without having to use water.
    No new scabs on the sores on the other feet when I checked them, fingers crossed! Skin looks good and pink on those legs/feet.

Ranger1 - I have not given him anything as far as supplements. He is just under 4 months old. I did however try mixing Nustock/Diaper Rash ointment a couple of weeks ago before it got severe and the ointment has zinc in it.

NDinKY - I worry about that as well, but I think he just had a mite issue that was neglected and now I'm wondering if I did in fact kill off the mites, is it possible they died under the skin and caused an infection? I do know goats can get things like eczema, but really thinking this guy just needs the right treatment, just have to figure out what it is.
    I don't know if he still has an active mite issue or if it's just bacterial or fungal. That is where a skin scrape will come in hand.

I appreciate all the support, and ideas. I'm considering it all but thinking at this point we'll wait and see if we can get the skin scrape done and go from there.

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad they are improving.

I would still get a vet to do a scrapping though.

That buckling is more forgiving than any goat I have ever seen.
    All you have done to him, if I did that to any of my goats, they would run when they seen me.

He is looking a lot better as in weight gain and overall appearance other than that issue he is going through. ;)

18. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    He loves her cause she feeds him sooooo well!(rofl)(rofl)
    No honestly... hes a good boy that loves his mommy!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Iluvlilly! and toth boer goats like this.
  19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California