A Buying Nightmare...

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by HoosierShadow, Jun 7, 2020.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    LOL Thanks Moers & Pam I appreciate it! :)
    Well, I ended up not going out to the barn today at all that is a first for me! yesterday evening Max's foot looked better, so I opted to leave it alone and see if there is real progress by tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed. I've honestly been stressed about getting Max healthy, and now the yearling buck is starting rut and being a pain - not eating well, and seems to think that Max's buddy, George (wether) is a girl and that he needs to try and get him from Max - ugh. So we're debating moving the wether with the girls for now. I need to see if our 4-H program is even going to have a sale, if not then George needs to go which breaks my heart, but if that will calm the buck down... George isn't all that nice to Max so I doubt Max will miss him too much.

So... I've decided to get motivated and paint some inside the house lol. My computer room is also sort of the mud/junk room, so I moved everything into the front room (war zone lol), painted the ceiling and walls.
    Hubby was off today which made this task possible!
    Tomorrow carpet cleaning, and have a few errands after morning barn chores. I'll put a call into the vet tomorrow, but unless they are worse I doubt I can get him in until middle of the week if she is able to see him. Fingers crossed.

2. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I UNDERSTAND! Patience IS NOT my virtue! I want it all healed and well the minute I put medicine in it or on it!:devil: I forget it takes time. ...hours.....days....to heal! :omg: Not my idea of fun:waiting:. Especially with a goat Im deeply involved with. :goatkiss:! I never want them hurt:sick:/ thin/ sick/ or wormy! :squish:. So yes you did :great: today!

3. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks! I am the same way, I want it healed up right away! I definitely don't want to see them hurting.
    Good news? His leg looks better! He also wasn't fussing much when I was examining it or acting like it was hurting! I put on some triple antibiotic ointment and worked a few random scabs off that I couldn't get off before. His other 3 legs look good! Fingers crossed!
    I will still be calling the vet and finding out about a skin scrape to determine what in the heck this is. I know he isn't out of the woods, but sure is good to wake up to good news today.
    Especially the news that my sister in law is getting out of the hospital today! She's been battling Leukemia and has been in the hospital a little over a month after her bone marrow transplant (from my 16 year old nephew - he's a hero! :) ). So definitely a good morning :)

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hope things get better soon. What a nightmare and it is time for all to finally get back to a norm :hug:

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    It sounds as though Good News all the way around! So cool.about your nephew stepping up. Im glad she is out of that hospital. She will feel so much better at home.
    Glad Max is better! Hes a good little man. So cute.

Tanya likes this.
  6. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I thought I would update on Max - he is doing good and that severe leg is looking so much better! I have not had a skin scrape done, it's looking like early next week would be the earliest I could get him in since this is a non emergency. His leg is no longer red or irritated, and feels better - I'd say 50% better. the back of his foot still gets a weird kind of growth on it, which just makes me think fungus when I look at it. No new hard scabs, it's just soft stuff like a film over the skin - wish I had gotten a picture to show.
    So... I bought some of the athlete's foot spray and will try it tomorrow to see if that helps. Fingers crossed this helps and clears it up. His other legs look good, but as a precaution I think I'll put some of the spray on the few random spots that have been healing.

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Glad he is improving.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I thought I would update on Max while I have a few minutes! Fingers crossed, but he is doing much better! I'd say the leg is about 60% healed! I did a few days of the athelete's foot spray, and yesterday I gave him a scrubbing bath with the Iodine medicated shampoo and got the little bit of growthy type stuff off. I dried him, sprayed that leg with Triodine as well as the inside of his other front leg, and the other legs with Chlorhexidine since Triodine stains. Dried, and today looks good, no regrowth of that weird stuff (it makes me think Fungus).

Yesterday I picked up a bottle of Absorbine Fungasole spray and used that this morning. Fingers crossed this stuff helps to finish clearing it up, otherwise I'll possibly just stick with the Triodine. Small gleam of hope that my daughter can take him to a show in a few weeks - yes that much improvement! So long as he doesn't go backwards with using this spray.
    [​IMG]

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

11. Courtney De St Jean

Courtney De St Jean Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Lakeville, IN
    I am so sorry that happened, that sucks. I hope that he works out better for you <3 <3 <3 I am glad that he is to a home where he is going to be properly taken care of

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  12. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks I appreciate it! It's definitely been a bumpy road with this little guy, but he has snagged my heart strings and is definitely my shadow! He knows his name, answers you when you call it, and is just a joy to be around. Due to some issues we are switching feed, and he absolutely LOVES the new feed.
    We picked him up on 6/6, on 6/11 he weighed 69.6lbs, and today he weighed 89.2lbs. So he has gained over 20lbs since he's been here. He's about 10lbs shy of where our boys usually are at this age, so I am fine with that.

I'll inspect his legs tomorrow and see if the new spray is helping. He's so close to being over this 'crud.'

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    How about a Max update?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's nearly all healed up! The inside of his leg is great, you can see where the hair is starting to grow back on it. No irritation under his dew claws, just old/dry skin that is slowly coming off and hair has almost completely grown back in.

He got washed and clipped today and seemed to really enjoy it - especially since the heat index was over 100 degrees!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    He is looking fantastic! I think he is looking promising!

16. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Go Max. Wow. He is starting to be a looker. It seems all your efforts are paying off. Good going.

17. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks I appreciate it! He is definitely my little buddy, to say I don't absolutely adore him is an understatement! Everything he has been through and he is still so sweet and trusting! He knows his name, and answers me when I call him lol He's still skittish of my kids and hubby, but is much better with my daughter now days. He walks good on a show collar. The other day my daughter was working with him, and let him go and he ran to me lol! Fingers crossed he stays healthy and thrives.

18. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hey...now wait a minute...you dodnt like him...remember...so now.that youve done.ALL THE WORK...:clever: your giving him to.me right??¿:ahh:¡¡ Cause I have always liked him!(rofl)(rofl)(rofl)
    Hes Gorgeous...just like I knew he would be...just give him 3 more months....hes going to.be Breathtaking!!!!:squish:

HoosierShadow likes this.
  19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    He looks great.

Glad he is healing. :) :goodjob:

20. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks Pam I appreciate it! He's coming along! Thank goodness on the healing, I was so worried he'd never get healed up, and so hard to get into the vet with him since they are technically a small animal dog/cat setup. It's so hard to find a goat vet, we have one for emergencies but even hard to get him out here as he stays busy with his main job (horses).

Aww thanks! I thought he could have potential, but definitely wasn't impressed when I brought him home! He's grown on me so much, he is my buddy - my sidekick. He is so very sweet. Melts my heart when he gets excited to see me. Of course, his voice on the other hand... he has one of those feeding time cries where you think he is dying or severely constipated lol! One day I should try to get video, it's pretty funny! There is a busy restaurant next door, and outdoor dinning only. I can only imagine what people must think when he does his evening 'starvation cry' lol.