A Buying Nightmare...

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by HoosierShadow, Jun 7, 2020.

1. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  2. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    :update:

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN???:gottago:
    :welcomeback: I HAVE MISSED YOU! WHATS UP? HOWS MY LITTLE GUY DOING? HOW ARE.YOU. HOWS THE KIDS DOING? HOWS 4H? WHERES THE VIDEOS??? :ty: For ALL YOU.DO! :upset:I MISS YOU!!!:squish:

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks for asking. We actually sold Max last night! :'( It was so hard to do as I love him, and he is maturing into a handsome boy as I knew he had the potential! He's getting thicker and bigger every day, in less than 2 weeks he's put on about 16lbs!

We decided to sell him because we decided to sell the does we'd planned to breed him to. After attending a show, my daughter wants to get into showing more than county fairs, which means she needs a different kind of doe. Our does are nice, and do well, but we need more frame/bone. So.. we sold all but 1 of our 2020 doe kids (youngest is still on mom). Max was sold with 2 of the does we'd intended on breeding to him in the future. I'm so excited for the new owners. We're going to try and get the rest of the does bred in the coming weeks and confirm pregnancy via blood test so we can sell our buck and just keep 8 does through the winter.
    Problem is we have 1 doe that kidded mid May and getting ready to wean her buck kid, but would like to leave the doe on her longer. With not having a weaning buddy we may end up selling her off of mom, but we'll see, we haven't thought that far ahead. My other issue is getting her ready to breed before we sell the buck. Ugh. I don't like doing back to back breeding's but I absolutely do not like having summer babies, so we do need to get her on schedule with the others.

So that's where we are at.

These are the last pics I took a couple of weeks ago and he seriously looks even better. Still gets that big hay belly, but otherwise.... I'm so proud of this guy and I shed tears selling him and the 2 girls. I couldn't sleep thinking about how much we would miss them :( But couldn't justify keeping him for only 1 or maybe 2 does (I'd planned to breed 4-5 to him).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for answering. I was beginning to worry. So is your daughter doing the jackpots? She is wanting more tubular does?
    Awww he is such a cute little guy. Im sure you found a good family for him. He was really shaping up!
    How are you? Sounds like your breeding schedule is getting ready to be very busy. You just cant leave us high & dry...k? Gotta let us know you are ok. Please?

5. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks Moers! My daughter wants to be able to do more breeding shows like JABGA/ABGA. We need does that are bigger framed, and have more bone. Our does are nice, but aren't fancy show goats, and there is definitely a more modern style winning in the show rings. We don't need grand champions, I can't afford those lol! But hoping to buy a couple of does that she'll be able to do well with. We are down to 10 does now, 9 adults and 1 baby still on mom. I'm hoping to get down to 8 honestly. 3 are yearlings. 2 of the yearlings are pretty nice for showing and did well at the show we went to last month. 1st show the judge didn't like her traditional yearling, but 2nd judge placed her 3rd (big classes), and said he would have placed her 2nd if she was longer bodied, and had a longer neck. I agree and fingers crossed our buck can improve that in her kids as he is long bodied.
    Her other doe that we bought in May also did well in big, competitive classes she placed 4th & 5th. She has the bone and nice front end, but loses some of the length and power through out if that makes sense lol.
    I'll have to share pics of them later :)

Max was definitely shaping up! I miss that guy so much. I'm just proud that we got him healthy, and looking good.

I've been doing good, thanks for asking :) I hope you are doing well also! We opted to breed as many as we could during winter break so my daughter is not worrying about school and kidding, plus, early year kids especially bucks sell better as they are usually ready to breed in August.

6. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Yes..I inderstand TUBULAR does. Ive been watching what people are buying. I just prefer that Roman nose. The new long necked does..almost turn into.sharp pointed faces. So its getting hard to get used to.
    Most large boned big wide does are % does. Some are massive. But putting that sharp nose looks different to me.

toth boer goats and Iluvlilly! like this.