A Challenge of Morals (Long)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by RowdyKidz, Mar 20, 2010.

1. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Okay, so I went to buy a herd today (2 does, 2 wethers). I bought the does, but the people were very kind and insisted I take the wethers as well. Which I was happy to do, thinking I could find them an awesome home nearby.

Well, we got them home and in a regular indoor pen but the wethers seemed really down and depressed and it's really upseting me. They were used to being outside constatly and had lived in their pasture and had so many things to do, to jump on. I think it was a mistake taking them. I should've just taken the does, who don't mind being stalled. I feel bad -- the people were really attached to them. The people bottle-fed the one wether, the one that's really depressed. I feel sooo bad... :sigh: He emailed me (the husband who was working when I went to get them) saying his wife had called him crying after we took them.

I feel horrible...Not only did I upset the human people, but the goats. :( I don't know what to do! :tears: :help: They said they weren't able to keep the goats because they are both in the army and working 60+ hour weeks but I feel HORRIBLE now. :help:

2. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Will they take the wethers back? That's so sad!

3. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I would work with the goats and not feel guilty about taking them as they wanted to get rid of them .. the wethers will come around in a few days.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    They had to get them homes.. because they have to go in the military... they had to let go. :( ...At least they are in a good home.... It is heart breaking ...but they had their reasons to do so.....Spend time with the wethers ...give treats.....and with time... they will love you to.... :wink: :hug:

5. Young Goat Farmer

Young Goat Farmer New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Hiwassee VA
    Well I think you should hold on to them. The previous owners obviously did whaty is best for their goats. When we got our new goats I would sit with them for a little while every night to let them get used to me. You should consider doing the same so they feel more at home. Prayin for ya. :pray:

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if they want them back - then tell them they can pick them up (or if its easy for you then drop them back off) but like was said, play with them and give them time to settle in. Goats take time to adjust to new surroundings.

7. Jekka_Lynn

Jekka_Lynn Member

Mar 19, 2010
    I used cupboard love to win over my goats. And I admit to using it shamelessly with my newest goat to try and tame her because she was never handled or touched or separated from her herd and her mom for even a moment until the day we got her. Thankfully my one goat was the same color as her mother and ended up kinda adopting her, never let her nurse or anything but let her cuddle and hide behind her when ever she wanted to. Now she is getting use to me. She even let me pet her yesterday! Only for a second and only rubbed down her back once but considering she still runs in terror whenever my hubby goes near the pen I'm pretty excited about it.

8. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thank you all so much for your advice! It really helped me make the right choice. They are settling in pretty well and are spoiled rotten!

9. Young Goat Farmer

Young Goat Farmer New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Hiwassee VA
    haha yeah that will happen but glad to hear they are feelin welcome