A close call

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, May 11, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Two of my harness boys, Charlie and Chaplin, have to stay tethered because they jump fences like olypic showjumpers, the naughty boys.

Their tether is under a big old pepper tree, which gives them shelter and shade, and they like to eat it too.

Aparently this afternoon, Chappy climbed up the tree and got a branch hooked under his collar, and couldnt breathe - my brother luckily was outside and broke the branch and saved him

No one thought to tell me until now! (10pm) I freaked out and ran out to see my boys, and put halters on them instead of the collars. Tomorrow I'm gonna see how they go with being tethered by the hoof (yes, you read that right lol I've seen it done before with horses).

It was a horrible feeling when dad did mention it to me ... I lost a doe last year who hung herself in a tree, I'd left a collar on her because I was milking her ... and it nearly happened all over again :tears:

Thank you Lord that my brother was there to save Chaplin :pray:

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I am so glad someone was there to help him! How scary!

I don't have much experience with tethering, so no advice unfortunately...

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow... :shocked: ....that would be scary ....thank God for your brother......I am so glad .....he got there in time...... :hug: :pray:

4. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I think a line of electric fencing would be more efficient, and safer though. They could get hurt if they climb the tree again.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I agree, Electric wire would be good. I also bought a no jump dog harness and it worked for one of my boys.

6. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    you can also hobble them. see if that works

7. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Yikes!! :shocked:

8. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    how about a breaker bar?

9. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I'm so glad your brother was there to save him. That's one of my concerns as I do leave collars on my milk girls also. I know that horses are tethered by their feet but what if your goat climbs the tree with his foot tied up... if he comes down wrong he'll end up with a broken leg.

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Well, with these boys I tried hobbles (various types) - that didnt work. Even with three legs hobbled together tight, they could barely walk but they could somehow still jump out. I tried electric - didnt work, they didnt care about the zap they just took it and figured at least they got out. I also tried building higher fences and these guys can clear a 6 foot fence without even clicking their heels on the top. I swear I should teach them to do agility courses, they would love it.

Cinder, honestly a broken leg doesnt worry me ... I can fix broken legs, I've done them many times, I cant however fix a strangulation lol

Lori, we can get no jump harnesses here :hair: I've been looking at them and thinking I have to try and make one

Thanatos ... what is a breaker bar?

11. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    its a bar that goes across thier front legs at knee height hangs from a body harness(like a dog harness) and when they crouch to jump it smacks their knees also when they start runnin for the jump it does it and they stop cause they dont like it. I will lok for pics.

edit: I can't find any pics and all the articles I saw before have gone MIA. I will keep lookin, but the idea is they just wont jump cause they dont like it smackin them.

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Ah, yes, I've tried that :(

Basically, these guys have got separation anxiety, I bottle raised them. It was worse when they were little guys, about 5 or 6 mths old, they would freak out when I left and so their solution was to jump out and keep jumping till they found mum. Which is why the breaking bar, and the electric fence, didnt work at all, because they didnt mind a little bit of pain if they could find their mum.

Believe me, I tried anything and everything I could think of with these guys ... :(

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I know if I had a goat that kept jumping fences- I *personally* would sell them.

Hope you find something to keep them in!

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Katrina - ordinarily I would. These guys have a fair bit of emotion tied up in them, they were the last kids from the very first doe I ever had, she was a boer mix, she ruptured her uterus and bowel during kidding and had to be euthanased, and because of her I sort of made the decision to keep her last two kids as pets. Normally her kids went in the freezer. I bottle raised them from day 1, and then trained them to pack and harness. They are invaluable as publicity goats.

Basically I tether them (and it has worked well so far) because the alternatives are a) let them jump (no good cos I live on a busy road); b) sell them to someone (they will most likely end up tethered, and in a far worse way than I do it, or eaten) c) eat them.

15. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    looking at those options..i would keep them. :wink:

16. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Keren, I haven't looked up what region you are in, but have you tried keeping the area that is grounded moist? You get more of a kick when the charger is grounded in a moist spot.

17. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    yep, tried that, also tried soaking the goats themselves in water and then tempting them over to zap themselves. Also put a wire halter on them, and made them drag a length of chain to get a good zap. AND borrowed a friends charger that will put that much power into the fence to knock them flat. None of it worked. They cop the punishment and figure its worth it to see their mum :) silly buggers

18. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    haha aweee they love you alot lol.

19. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    yup, its very sweet, they are my baby boys, but they also drive me nuts sometimes :hair:

Didnt get a chance to try the foot tether today cos I headed into the vet and then went to help a friend with her goats ... will see how they react to it tomorrow.

20. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Try the harness, it sounds like it would be in their best interest.....maybe even a face halter that you can tether them from the chin as opposed to the neck? I have used the face halters before with my pygmy buck...though he was tethered where there were no trees, he moved freely enough to eat but when he would "rush" the tether his chin was pulled under enough to avoid a getaway.

Or you could just fatten them up so they are too heavy to get their butts off the ground.....sorry had to make "light" of it :hug: