The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick background (in a nutshell):

I got two 5 week old Boer cross girls two weeks ago. They came from people clueless on how to raise goats. What's worse is they didn't try to educate themselves, either, like I have. They were weaning them from the bottle, only feeding them grain (which they didn't touch) and electrolytes from the bottle. They had diarrhea, severe lice infestation, and weighed a fraction of what they should. I named them Butterscotch (the larger of the two) and Caramel. Butterscotch weighed 9.4 pounds, and Caramel weighed 8.4 pounds.

Thanks to wonderful people here on this forum, they are getting healthy. I have wormed them with Valbazen and Baycox, and have given them their first CB T injections. They are being treated for their lice. They have access to hay at all times, as well as loose minerals and water. I feed them each 4 bottles a day...the ounces based on their weight. I had started with a universal milk replacer, but at the suggestion of quite a few TGS members, am gradually switching them to whole cows milk. Right now the ratio is half formula with half whole milk. They browse off and on during the day...mostly on blackberry leaves, grape leaves, and ground cover which i think is chickweed. Butterscotch now weighs 10 1/2 pounds and Caramel weighs just shy of 9 pounds.

Now that they are getting better, I need to know when I should start cutting back on the bottles, offering grain, and if I should be increasing/decreasing the ounces in their bottles. Help??? lol

Also, I understand I'm going to have to trim their hooves. I know nothing about how to do it, nor do I know WHEN I should start.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
They can be started on grain now. I take a bottle away at 9 weeks then another at 10 then another at 11 and they are off by 12.
At the 8 week point I cut back their bottles by 1/7 each day. Normally they are on a Lambar feeder at my house, so i just fill it with less.

I would check their hooves now, if they have any over growth, trim it off. I do it every 2 weeks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They can be started on grain now. I take a bottle away at 9 weeks then another at 10 then another at 11 and they are off by 12.
At the 8 week point I cut back their bottles by 1/7 each day. Normally they are on a Lambar feeder at my house, so i just fill it with less.

I would check their hooves now, if they have any over growth, trim it off. I do it every 2 weeks.
What if they don't eat the grain? I've tried a couple of times and they turn their noses up at it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts