A couple videos - no sound

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Kittikity, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    A couple of videos of our yard and other pets.. I apologize to anyone with dialup.. This is as small as I could get them..

First video is of our yard.. Starts off at the end of our driveway, me leaning on the hood of the car.. (Excuse the shaky cam.. I'm using my laptop with my webcam on it..) You can see my husband mowing the yard.. Also helps to give a size reference for the yard.. The trees that he's mowing under in the video are kind of weeds and the goats will be free to chew on them.. Most everything else are oak trees and will be wrapped in wire.. The area to the left of the driveway is the front yard and will be fenced in for our two dogs.. The group of trees in the middle of the backyard (near the pole) are willow trees and the goats will have them to eat as well.. Our property goes back to the tree line in the far back, up on the hill to the right (you can almost see the neighbors little fence), and then to the left where the other neighbor's yard is overgrown.. The whole yard is going to be divided up into four squares.. One square will be the front yard in front of the house, the second square will to the right of the driveway, and the backyard will be divided into two squares.. The far left of the back yard will also have a smaller yard for the bucks.. The goat barn will be about at the high grass area that my husband is mowing around at the beginning of the video and will have access to all three pastures.. Somebody had dug a big hole there and put some gravel in it so I figure that will make a nice area for good drainage in the goat shed.. Will the goats be ok walking on the gravel or should I put a layer of dirt on it first? It's large pieces of gravel..
    http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm73 ... t=yard.flv

These are some of our current pets.. Chloe is the tan and white one, Dixie is the black and white one, and the two guinea pigs are Joey and Yang..
    http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm73 ... nimals.flv
  2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    nice piece of land you have there.

I didnt see the gravel :scratch: but I wouldnt jsut have them sleep on gravel. Some dirt over it would still let you have the wonders of the drainage but make it a little easier to clean out and softer for them to sleep on.

current pets are so cute. I have never seen anyone with guinea pigs living outside before.

3. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    The area with the gravel is still a little recessed so he doesn't mow that with the riding mower.. It's the big grass clump that he circles around at the beginning of the video..

The guinea pigs really seem to love it outside.. I had thought to make them a cage like people do for rabbits.. But for now they're just inside that little wire area.. I'll probably have to make them an actually cage when we fence in the front yard and the dogs are running around.. I had two little silkies and Dixie ate one of them.. She's a very good dog, she's just stupid sometimes.. :D Just don't want her eating the guinea pigs too..
  4. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    When I had guinea pigs they were indoors but I bet they would love to have a fenced area outside to stretch their legs. They were horribly messy to keep inside. Never thought about seeing them outside. Do they stay out all winter? I had used the cubes like at cavycages.com for mine.

Looks like you've got plenty of room for some goat pens though!
  5. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    I only started putting them outside this spring.. Don't know if I'll attempt to keep them out in the winter.. Could always do like I plan on doing with my goat and rabbit barn though and wrap their cage/area with plastic sheeting to keep in the warmth..