The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It, of course, is too late to do anything as he is 3 months old now...but, I am curious if anyone has gone through this.

My 3 year old doe had twins in March...1 male, 1 female. I was there when she had them and did nothing different to one that I did the the other. Just cleared their mouths and helped dry them off. Girl was born first, male second. They were born in the afternoon and momma licked, talked to and fed both. The next morning she had rejected the boy. There was nothing wrong with him and he seemed healthy. she refused to feed him...period! So, I got my first bottle baby!

I have no idea why she did this after feeding him in the beginning. Any ideas?

The only differences are these...last year she had her twins (FF) in Sept, both girls, both white and I was not there when they were born...had them in the wee hours of the morning and had already eaten the placenta by the time I got there, so all I did was help dry them off some more and made sure they were drinking. This year she had them in March,I was there, helped dry them off and made sure they drank. Only other difference is this time she had a male and he is colored, his sister is white. She has plenty of milk..oh, and I milked her this time (didn't last time) but this was after she had already rejected the boy.

Has anyone had this happen to them? I am now worried that if she throws boys again she will reject them.

:whatgoat:

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Some does are just weird that way. I have one doe, who had twin bucks last year as a FF, raised them great.
This year she kidded triplets (one buck died), but it was 2 bucks and a doe. She rejected both by the second day, I put her butt in the buck pen, and don't even pay attention to her. I feed and water her, worm her now and then, and trim her feet, but thats it. I'm mad at her and she knows it. She even started talking to her babies after it was too late and I was already mad. I'm bottle feed them. I'm mad at her, and might just sell her.

But some years they reject, other years they like the kids. Some does are always good moms though, and some are always awful

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Yes, I've had it happen twice now. The first one was a first timer, she had twins - buck and doe - allowed both of them to nurse for several days, then rejected the buck. The 2nd time was a seasoned doe who has always, always, always had twins. Well, this time she had triplets - 1 buck and 2 does. She cleaned them up, nursed all 3 of them, then rejected the biggest doe the next day. I suspect because there was 1 too many kids, but obviously I can't prove it. Wendy (the first doe) is on the next trailer out of here - rejecting/abandoning kids is something I simply will not tolerate unless there are extenuating circumstances such as hard delivery, bred too young, etc. Ruby will stay because she can't raise triplets, so I would have ended up pulling the kid she rejected anyway and I honestly believe there was just 1 kid too many.

No idea why your doe rejected the 2nd kid. It could be the color thing, it could be a goat thing, it could be she is a flake - no clue. Sorry.

·
14,615 Posts
Who knows the ways of a goat. Or why.
If it looks like she is rejecting one you keep the new mama & kids in a stall for a few days.
You make sure the reject gets to nurse. If you have to hog tie the doe (exageration here) then do.
Tie her up short, hold up a rear leg & guide the kid to the teat.
This may take a few days or so of hard work on you, Boss, Shepard, Head Honcho whatever title you choose YOU are the leader and must be proactive.
Mamas have no rhyme or reason to reject a normal healthy kid. Some will say "Oh Mama knows there's something wrong internally" & to this I say HOGWASH.
I have a few here with same dam a few yrs apart that tried to pull this rejection trip on. I forced that doe to take those kids. They are 6 & 7 yrs old now.

First 24hrs are critical for colostrum.

·
Registered
30,005 Posts
I have a nubian doe who kidding twins year one..raised them both...had triplet the next year..would only feed the back one..the two brown babies (one doe one buck) she rejected....no matter our efforts...year three she had triplets again..two brown does one black doe...guess who she feeds...??? yep the little black doe..what color is mom...Yep you guest it..Black...lol...some are just funny that way...but Jasmine is my baby and ranch clown so I give her slack and bottle feed the two she dont
want..lol...
heres her doe from this season...

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your replies!

Nancy: Since I did not have any bottles, I forced the doe to feed him 4 times a day. Man was that a chore as she hated it. So, he got his colostrum from mom and drank off her for 4 days before I could go get bottles and nipples.

I sure hope it is not the color as the buck I use is colored so I have a 50/50 chance that she will throw color every time. She is my favorite doe too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts