A fantastic goatie day

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Nov 15, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    So I had a GREAT day today.

Our local vet clinic had an open day ... live surgery, ultrasound, vet tours, free health checks for pets, animal nursery and ...

They asked if we could bring in Zack, our big Boer wether who is trained to harness, plus some bottle babies if we had them for a bit of an animal nursery.

Well, we ended up bringing 9 babies and 8 adult wethers for harness rides.

Zack was the only one trained out of all of them. Little Red had been in the cart once, Charlie and Chaplin had worn the harness once but never been hitched to the cart. Big Red, B-Linda and Russel had never even worn the harness. But they were so good they all ended being okay to trust with kids in the cart. Only took us 15 min or so until they were comfortable enough and we were comfortable enough to let the kids ride.

Anyway, we started at 10am and went until 3.30pm, with only an hour break for lunch, we though we'd better have a break after the boys sat down in their shafts lol. There were kids lined up all day waiting for rides.

We also sold 2/4 weaner kids and 3/3 bottle kids, plus took an order for 3 more bottle kids.

And, the icing on the cake was that we won the pet show! We almost missed it - didnt hear them announce it so we grabbed the nearest animals (Charlie with his harness on but not hitched to the jinker, and Calico the cat) and raced over there. They were doing the last class - 'Pet that does the best trick'. So Linda took Cally out, and showed her trick - if you make a loop with your arms she jumps through. Then I took Charlie out - I grabbed a can of coke, opened it, had a few mouthfuls, then offered it to Charlie. He hooks his lip in under the rim and slurps, slurps, slurps while I gently tip it, and he doesnt spill a drop. Then, we got the cat to sit on the goats back and ride him while I led the goat round. Anyway, when they announced the winners, they said it was a toss up between the goat and the cat, and because they did the trick together, they both placed first. We got a nice basket of goodies, a mug, chocolates, cat toys, brush, treats and a nice pet blanket.

Anyway, it was such a good day we had fun, the kids had fun, the goats had fun, we raised awareness about goats, we sold some little boys off as pet wethers instead of going into the freezer, we broke in all the harness goats ...

A great goatie day!
  2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds like you had a great time! And what a way to show people that goats can be a pet just as much as a dog or cat...wonderful! Great that you also sold a few goaties too.

3. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Wow, it sounds like a ton of fun! :leap:

Congrats on winning the contest. :stars:
  4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    That is just great Keren! What a fanastic day..showing off your animals, doing a bit of educating & selling some to boot! :thumb: