The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, today, i was looking at my does, like really looking, and i realized that my milkers are in perfect condition! But the 3 other does who aren't providing for me right now are a bit over conditioned! Jenny has slight rolls by her armpit area... Ooops! So here is the plan

Milkers: 1 cup oats, 1 cup Barley, 1/2 cup calf manna
Im also adding a doe that I want to gain weight to that feed routine as well.

Non-milkers/preggo- Small handful of grain to get them into the electric fence each morning. They get to graze on grass all day (which when they have been in there for 10 hours, their rumens are so full! they dont even act hungry!) and free choice alfalfa and grass hay at night

Milkers of course get the alfalfa and grass hay as well. And they graze all day.

Im still keeping Cargill and Sweetlix minerals, along with the salt, and cobalt blocks, and they have access to a trace mineral block when they are grazing.

I have one preggo ATM. Due Dec. 3rd. She is one of the ones im taking off grain. But on the last month, i plan on giving her a spoon full of molasses, tossed with a little bit of oats/ barley. Good idea or no?

So, i will definitley keep yall updated and see if they keep their condition!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK! That makes sense! Thanks!
I would probably start the pregnant doe on a grain ration 2-4 weeks before kidding to prepare her rumen for the full milking rations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts