The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my goat for 5 days now. He was fed little grain before and just started eating on his 3rd day with me. I leave him a little food to et whenever he wants it. His stool is clumped together and the size of a medium dogs stool. I'm worried about why this is happening. He hasn't been wormed yet and is about 2 months old.

My next concern is that he has runny eyes. Only one eye was runny when I got him but the other started on his 4th day. The original runny eye has got worse. The liquid is clear and is drying and getting crusty on his face. What is wrong???

My last concern is that his nose started running on his 2nd or 3rd day and is getting worse. The snot is drying into his nose and gets crusty.

These are my concerns for my goat. I have noticed that he is NOT coughing though. What do I do to fix them? Please help me!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was just looking at his eye again and I saw some liquid run down his face and drip into his bedding.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Def. deworm him if he's not been dewormed yet and is 2 months old. Have you checked his eye for foreign objects? Is the eye swollen or is he squinting?

·
14,615 Posts
His poop is probably because of diet change ie grain increase. Cut back a little on it; if he was say a half cup cut to 1/4 for awhile.
Some probiotics wont hurt.
How's his water intake?
As for the eyes you can use human eye drops, then drop a tiny bit of Pen G or Biomycin in his eyes for a few days past clearing up.
If you have VetRx on hand it will help with his nose.
I dont think I'd worm him just quite yet because I dont think that's his problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will worm him soon. And there is no swelling and nothing in his eye. But thanks!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He already eats about 1/4 a cup, some beet pulp to help fatten him up. He is good with water drinks plenty for his size. And what kin of eye drops do I use?... Just like one to moistin human eyes?

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
I agree...clumpy poo is most likely diet change...does he also have access to hay or just graze??
cut grain by half..make sure he has plenty of hay 30-40 min. before going out to graze if you can...or at least have hay at all times...When you see berries you can begin increasing his grain a tiny bit at a time until he is back up to 1/4 c.
for his eye...keep it clean and dry as possible.. I would just put a drop of Penicillan or Tylan 200 in his eyes twice a day...it should clear up soon..b complex will help with the cold he seems to be having...Benadryl will help his nose..Check his Temp to be sure he does not have a fever...101.5-103.5 is normal range...I use a cheap digital thermometer

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He stays at my house at night and either grazes all day long at a barn or I hand graze him at my house. I also cut branches and put them in his cage at my house. He always has hay in his cage. I feed 1/4 cup a day but add beet pulp to help fill him. Should I even cut back from the 1/4 cup a day? I will keep his eyes and nose clean. Will doing just that be enough to help clear it up? And I will try Benadryl, but he doesn't eat all his food so the liquid wouldn't work, and I couldn't cut the tablet and put the powder in.... So should I buy the fruit flavored chewable type??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts