The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you know from reading my post about the calf injury, I can't get to the barn or pasture to take care of my goats, so my sweet hubby is doing it. I'm constantly asking him questions about their poop, their eyes, their rumens, how they are eating, etc. Well, yesterday he came up after milking and told me that Bella didn't want her grains. That concerned me because she usually inhales them in the morning.

I sent our son out to check on them yesterday, mid morning. I asked him to tell me what she looked like and what she was doing. He came back and let me know that she was lying down and didn't get up when he came down there. That was unusual since she's the queen and thinks she gets first pets when we are there. He got her to come over to the fence so he could check her out. He told me she looked fat. I sent him back down with baking soda and some olive oil. She scarfed them both right up. I had him put another load of hay in the pasture, hoping she would eat that rather than greens. She did.

When hubby got home he put her back in the pen and withheld grain last night. This morning at milking time, her rumen looked like it was back to normal size and she was feeling like her spunky self. Because I wasn't sure when to start her back on grains, we again withheld them, but gave her about 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds, a little sweet feed and baking soda. She wanted her grain! I ended up okaying 1 cup of it. I figured she must know if she's feeling better. I think she had a mild case of bloat due to eating too much the day before. He had given them a lot of ragweed, which they adore, and she ate a LOT of it. More than usual.

My questions...
1) With a mild case of bloat like that, when do you go back to feeding normal amounts of grain? Little by little?

2) Is there anything else I should give her now, even though she appears to be back to normal.

3) Where do you all get your B Complex? Would Farm and Fleet have it?

4) Are the MOM and Pepto Bismol that I see you all talk about the human type, or is there another type made for critters?

And one more question with some explanation first.... again, because I can't get down to the barn yet, hubby has to take care of the milking and all before work. He leaves for work at 5:20 a.m. I read in another post that we should wait until the dew dries up before putting them out to pasture. Well, he's at work then, so in your opinion, would it be better for them to go out early so they can pasture all day, or stay in their pens all day and be put out around 4:45 p.m. when he returns home. They'd only have a few hours because it's getting dark by 7:30 now. What would you do?

Thanks so much. Sorry this is long. I guess being cooped up for so long is making me gabby. ;)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
1. she knows more than you abouy how she is feeling. but i would give her half feed for at least a day
2. probios is always a good idea
3. yes they probably do but if not tractor supply or agway will
4. we use MOM and Pepto the human kind. it's way cheaper than critter kind. pepto is best thing for scours. MOM is good if you dont have cd antitoxin not toxoid. mom binds toxins and gets them out of the system.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Awesome! Thanks so much.

Does anyone have an opinion about the pasture issue while I'm down and unable to put them out mid-morning? It will be another 6 to 8 weeks, or so, until I can get down there.

Also, where would I get probios for them? I have some probiotic pills for humans...would that work? Squished up?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
The pasture issue is this: WORMS. If you have your goats on a regular worming scedule then let them out. if not, start one and let them out. they would drive me crazy if they were in all day.
the probiotics can be purchased at any feed store, but yes your pills will work, just double the dose.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great. Thank you.

Yes, it would bother me to have them in all day. They are on Molly's Herbs, both types according to her schedule, for worms, so hopefully they will be ok. We've never had any of our (many) animals get worms, so hopefully it will continue to be ok.

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
the rumen rest and the Probios is an awesome idea...After about with bloat, I give 24 hours just to letAlso with the wet graze ..it can cause bloat...being sure the have hay in the pen before he lets them out should help with that..30 -40 minutes prior to ogin out is good..but not always practical for all situation..For your situation I would be sure they had some to nibble on throughout the night and then keep watch..you handled the bloat perfectly and timely so Im sure your goats will do well..
as enchanted said..worms are an issue: the eggs travel up the dew beads and so goat s eat and restart the cycle again..keeping watch on your goats worm leven through fecal and famancha chart should sterr away any troubles...but once you are up and about...waiting to put them out wil save worming too often....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts