A few Qs about pinkeye

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by nancy d, Jun 24, 2009.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    The place I might be using a couple of her bucks has pinkeye. I dont currently know if the bucks have it or how widespread it is.
    My question is how long do I wait before the following, assuming their herd will be free of pinkeye and are there any preventaive measures before my girls are in contact?
    A) Bringing my Nubian up to be bred
    B) bringing a Boer back to use on my Boer girls

Thank you all in advance!

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats hard to say, I would think that once they have been treated and their eyes are clear with no clousdiness or discharge then they wouldn't be infectious.

3. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    If it's bacterial, two weeks after the last case is cleared completely is pretty much accepted.

4. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thanks Ksacres!

5. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Here is what I have learned about pinkeye.. after dealing with this, this past breeding season.. if it is caused by Chlaymidia spp.. it needs to be treated systemically not just topically in the eye. otherwise it acts as a sexually transmitted disease and can cause late term abortion in the doe.. I would not bring my doe there unless you are sure the buck has been treated systemically and with the proper dose. And I also would not bring the buck to my property. But this is just me .. there is no way to know what has caused the pinkeye so better safe than sorry!

Jennah

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    jennah what are your suggestions for treating pinkeye?

My odin is getting better..but would still like to learn more

7. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thanks for hte heads up Jenna. It is my understanding that the chlaymidia version can crop up on very young kids under a few weeks old if the doe has been exposed thru contact with the buck.
    I dont know who has it at their place or the ages. Didnt think to ask at the time.

Needless to say I wont be even setting foot on their place till everything is cleared up totally. And whether or not is is actual vet diagnosed chlaymidia. Cause I certainly wont be using the buck if thats the case & unless they have documented vet clearance.

8. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Katrina.. I will look up the info for you (don't have alot of time this AM) One of my does ended up with pink eye while being boarded for breeding.. Don't know where it came from or if it was chlaymidia spp.. but after speaking with a very experienced goat breeder, whom I trust and then speaking with a Veterinarian whom is a trusted friend.. we decided to treat systemically.. Teh downside was that if she was already bred the Oxytet "could" cause problems in the fetus but if left untreated she "could" abort.. It was a hard decision to make.. we also fed through Aureomycin crumbles through 120 days bred to insure she was covered. ( I am not a huge fan of Antibiotics, but I am less of a fan of losing babies) This also covered our other bred does..just i case Jaf brought any pinkeye home with her (although she was treated, it was easier to let everyone partake in the crmbles) We were lucky and both of Jaf's kids are absolutely beautiful and healthy as can be. But I never realized the implications of pinkeye before all this.. I thought it was just the eye affected and that is so not the case.. I opted to treat rather than test, for finacial reasons and also because It would have been hard to coordinate because she was boarding 4 hours away.. I will say that the breeder where Jaf was staying was awesome and treated Jaffa just like her own, which made the whole experience much more pleasant.. Wow.. Sorry I got a little verbose there.. Gotta run.. I will get the dosage info up in the PM

Jennah

9. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    This is some info off of Tennesse Meat goats website:
    LA 200, Maxim 200, Biomycin (oxytetracycline 200 mg/ml) - Over-the-counter broad-spectrum antibiotic. Thick (use an 18 gauge needle and give SQ over the ribs) and may sting. Oxytretracycline 200 mg/mL must be used to treat abortion "storms." No vaccines are available to treat abortion diseases in goats and no off-label vaccines are effective in preventing abortion diseases in goats. Oxytetracycline 200 mg/ml is the goat producer's only choice. Also used to treat Pinkeye, even in pregnant does, because an abortion-causing organism can cause one strain of Pinkeye. Used both injectably for all Pinkeye and topically (in non-ulcerated eyes) for Pinkeye. Effective in treating hoof rot/hoof scald infections. Use 1 cc per 20 lbs. body weight SQ daily for a minimum of five consecutive days. The non-sting version of oxytetracycline 200 mg/ml is called Biomycin. Oxytetracycline 200 mg/ml is sold under several brand names; check the content label for correct 200 mg/ml strength. Turns a dark red when opened and air enters the bottle, but if kept under controlled climatic conditions and used before the expiration date, it should work fine.

I used 3.5cc/100lbs (I am not sure where I got that info, but it worked with no ill effects) Biomycin can also be used straight in the eye.. just a few drops.

Jennah

10. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thank you Jenna thats great info!

I wonder if one of the moderators could move this over to Goat Sense?

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    what else is biomycin used for? makes sense that'd you'd need to treat more than just on the eye...odins eye on the right looks normal now..but his left eye hasnt changed.

also I got the news that both of my new bucks are positive for CAE, although negitive for CL and Johnes. its a good thing they havent made any contact with my does or Thor; who came back negitice for all three.
    well now odin has pinkeye(?) and CAE, its becoming a lot of work and I'm thinking since he has most of the same bloodlines that I should sell both of them for meat. Thor is sold to a breeding home, with great people, and many does :wink: .
    any opinions would be appreciated.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So the eye that had pinkeye....is OK and clear? And the opposite eye is clouded? Have you treated the other eye?

I am so sorry..... :( about your bucks coming up Positive for CAE Katrina...that must be devastating... :( I think it would be wise... to sell them for meat...and not take a chance ..with the rest of the clean heard......CAE can be so crippling...it will save you headaches and heartaches later.....this is just my opinion.. and I know ..that some breeders keep around CAE positive animals and I respect that....but for me ...my reputation as a breeder...is important to me.....my goal is to sell healthy animals ... if I ever had any CAE positive animals... they would hit the road... real quickly....... Again ..I am so sorry... :hug:

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    no the eye that had pinkeye first still looks pretty red..the other one was clouded for a few days and now is better.
    would it be safe to butcher a goat with an eye injury? I decided to sell them both..and Thor is sold...so I went from too many bucks to none..I did find another breeder who has a buck from Whitehouse Boers in Fairbanks..I'm using him this year.

thanks pam..I'm just glad I had them separated. :hug:

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome.... I am glad you had them separated to.. :hug:
    If the redness is in the white part... it may take longer to heal ..or it may just be ...the way he is....
    I don't see that it would be a problem to butcher with an eye injury ..........but if ....you gave him a shot of antibiotics or wormed him lately...... then it is wise to wait .....I am unsure about the CAE positive thing though.....you may want to check into it... to make sure it is OK....

Is the buck you will be using a percentage buck ?

Good luck Katrina :hug:

15. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    no he's an ABGA FB.

Zoe Warriors Inferno... a solid red 2008 buck. theyre in Fairbanks but we can arrange transport somehow.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh that's good.... :wink: :thumbup: