The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just wondering what natural remedies actually work for goat health ie worming, mites etc Anything you can think of as preventatives (garlic and DE have been proven to be myths for example)

Also what human medication etc are safe for goats. I know aspirin and Ibuprofen are safe as pain relief and work well... are there others that we can use for our goats and for what purpose?

·
Registered
30,119 Posts
While Im not a fan of DE, whole raw Garlic is not a myth...it's very effective as an immune booster, parasite control and natural antibiotic.
Many kitchen spices work as well although organic is best, cayenne pepper has many uses from warming up a cold goat to jump starting a baby goat, offers lots of B vitamins, cinnamon great for tape worm, ginger a tummy soother, clove for coccidia for example. ACV is very helpful for digestion. The list is very long LOL
Most meds need to be injected for goats do to their fast metabolism but in a pinch oral vitamins can be used. Never give antibiotics orally.

·
Registered
30,119 Posts
@happybleats Do you think you could tell me more about this
Clove is one of the main herbs used to address coccidia in most herbal parasite formulas. It can also be effective agains Barberpole. We can also use Clove Ess. oil which is a hot oil so needs to be heavily diluted. I would recommend fecal before and after anytime you treat for parasites using Chem. de wormer/coccidiostats or Natural means. Never leave it to chance your treatment is working..get a fecal to confirm. ;)

·
Registered
30,119 Posts
Reactions: NigerianNewbie

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,331 Posts
You may like my blog www.thegivinggoat.com

For lice and mites, VetRX is great and natural.

Many essential oils, herbs, and spices, assist in deworming.

Garlic is absolutely wonderful. It's nota myth. Fresh raw garlic is something to give at almost any time of illness or as a prevention.

For illness, my "natural antibiotic" treatment involves garlic, HerBiotic herb blend from Fir Meadow LLC, and often lemon, thyme, or oregano essential oil.

The only debunked myth about garlic is that garlic powder works - which it does not.

Each illness requires a different natural remedy. If you name an illness, I will gladly say what natural means I would use for it. But in general, natural methods are so broad and there are so many of them that other than saying how good garlic and cayenne are, we cannot give you all the information you need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts