The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a yearling ff saanen doe who kidded a little over 2 weeks ago with a single doeling. She is normally nice, but not really friendly, she comes right up to us and would lead with a leash and collar pretty well, but is usually doing it because we feed her, not because she loves us (yet). I started milking her out twice a day (with her baby on her full-time still) a few days after birth, because the little one wasn't taking it all and neglecting one side, and after I learned how to tie her legs to the milk stand, she did pretty well and puts up with me milking her fairly nicely, although she still leans on me and does other little things like that to show she isn't happy. However, I am about 3 weeks away from giving birth myself, and then having a major surgery that will have me out of things a few weeks after that, so I have been having my 14 year old daughter learn how to milk, and over the past week, she has taken over the morning milking now and I do the evening milking with the help of my 15 year old daughter who I am trying to train how to milk, but it isn't going quite as well, she usually does 5-10 minutes and gives up (her hands are tired). So poor Sweetpea has had a lot of change in her milking routine getting used to different people milking her. They are able to milk her as long as her feet are tied tightly enough to the milkstand, but she leans even worse on them, and makes more of an effort to put her foot in the milk and such things,although my 14 year old was able to bring in the milk she got for using a few times so far. She has become terrible to lead though we are pretty much having to drag her from her pasture to the milkstand when she used to follow well and be pretty good on the leash. On the way back, she is completely dragging us back to her pasture and being a complete pill then too as well. We all weigh less than her and I am a bit of a weeble wobble at the moment and having a bit of trouble crossing the stones on the creek without her pulling on the leash anyway, and my daughters aren't as strong as I am, so I think she is taking advantage of us a bit. The being bad on a leash did start after we stopped bringing her baby with us to the milkstand, we did that for the first week, but it makes milking a bigger ordeal that needs 2 people for sure so someone can hold the baby, so I started leaving the baby back in the pasture figuring it might help them get used to being separated when we start separating at night (in just a few nights) I did learn how (youtube) to make a goat halter out of the dog leash, so last night we had better control over her (she was not happy!) and she wasn't dragging us, but we were dragging her the whole way to the milkstand. So, my questions are:

1. Should I let her baby come with her to the milkstand to make it easier to get her there, or since I'm going to start separating them at night in a few days, just keep doing what we are doing. (dragging her there)?

2. She is giving us about 1 quart a day out of the two milkings on top of what her single 2 1/2 week old eats she is being fed:

2 flakes orchard grass hay (that she wastes a lot of )/day
5 cups of alfalfa/timothy pellets (normally just gets alfalfa pellets but TSC was out)/day
4 cups 16% all goat chow/day
1 cup BOSS/day
1 cup 12% sweet feed/day

plus some browse- armfuls of maple branches and such when she gets back to her pen

Does that sound like enough? As her milk increases what should we increase her in the 16% grain or the 12% grain?

Also, I copper bolused her (4g) about 6 weeks ago, but she is looking rusty on top again and I bought manna pro minerals for her, but she won't eat them, and when I add them to her food, she eats around the food that has them mixed in. I was wondering about just getting Replamin plus and giving her that once a week, but wasn't sure if it was too close to her copper bolus.
?
If anyone has made it this far in my rambling saga, thank you for whatever advice you can give!
Stephanie

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, I had another question, when we start separating Sweetpea from her 2 week old baby in a few days, I was going to stop milking her in the evening, and just go to once a day milking.
should we still keep feeding her half her food at night and half in the morning? And is it okay to not milk her the night we separate them for the first time, or would that be too cruel (she usually feels full for her, even though we only get a few cups)? Thank you!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts