The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Most interesting thing first. We have three separate pens to our backyard. I have my 3 month old ND doeling in one side, and my 4 dogs in the other to go to the bathroom. Well my dad came home from work and of course the dogs went nuts, I guess it freaked my goat out so she managed to jump the fence into the dog pen. With a combination of the excitement of my dad and a freakish little critter sprinting around, my dogs decided to maul my doeling! I was inside at the time, then I heard my dad screaming, then my mom yelling at me to get outside quick, then I heard my goat screaming bloody murder. I freaking flew out the door to see my goat in a corner with 2 German Shepherds, a Boxer, and a mini-Aussie surrounding her. My dad got them off and by then I was terrified(hoping my goat wasn't fatally wounded), furious(I wanted to kill those dogs), and just wrecked. I checked out my doe: Neck was soaked slobber, she had 3 visible wounds(a tiny one on her ear, a bigger one on her horn bud, and almost a gash on her cheek), and was almost in shock. Poor thing would not move. We put anti-infection medicine on her wounds, then gave her some water and grain to make sure she wasn't in shock. She ate and drank :pray: We got her her bottle for the morning and she took all of that. She hardly moved(she was standing though) for awhile unless I moved her. No wounds on her legs or anything, she was just scared. She only really started to perk up when I let her in with the other goats(supervised) and then a few hours later she was almost acting normal. So, I think(hope) she'll be OK in at least a few days :) She will never be anywhere near those dogs unsupervised again though.

On a lighter note, I'm 90% sure one of my does(Little) is getting an udder!! A couple weeks ago she had such small teats, that unless you really looked, you could hardly see them under her hair. Now, they are bigger, and completely visible! :cool::D My bigger doe(Cider) who was exposed to a buck longer than she was, is kind of hard to tell in that area. She's always has big teats, so I won't be able to tell until she actually gets an udder. However, I think she has had a bit of discharge. They both have quite a bit of range in their breeding dates, so I'm not expecting anything big just yet. Both were in with one little Lamancha buck at all times, and sometimes a little-ish Nubian buck.
Possible due dates are....
Little: September 10th-Oct 1th
Cider: Aug 6th-Oct 14th
Both of these are approximated, I can't remember any exact dates of when they may be bred, so I'm guesstimating ;)

And lastly, the goats have a new pen! They'd eaten everything in their original pen, and it was down to graining and haying them twice a day, along with cutting branches off of a fallen apple tree for brush. Well, today we fenced off a piece of our back pasture, which is chock full of weeds(no poisonous ones thankfully) and let them loose! Apparently we needed to fence the gate, because when graining time came, they escaped back to their old pen :p They came back absolutely huge though! Our pygmies, which already have huge bellies(they may be pregnant, they don't have a lot of free choice hay so it's kind of odd) came out with bellies as big as they are! We will cut down on grain to once a day, just so they don't get overweight. They are going to be put in a stall every night as we have all kinds of predators in the area, but currently, they are fat happy goats!

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Whoa, sounds like you've had a busy weekend! Your poor little doe :( I'm sure she'll be completely fine after some special pampering and attention. Especially since she's a bottle baby :) I know what you mean about being furious with dogs... The last time I ever liked my dogs was before my Aussie chased my 3 months pregnant Boer doe around the property for 10 minutes :mad: Grr... sometimes I just want to feed them to the coyote...

Yay about pregnant does! Babies make everything better after a rough week... As do happy goats :D

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, she was fast asleep in my arms after she got over the shock of it. I layed her down in a hay pile since she's a little heavy and it looked so pretty! I wanted to take a pic really bad but if I left I would wake her and I didn't have a camera on me.

And yes, pregnant does!! Little's belly has been growing too...it's hard to tell on Cider since she's thicker in the first place but I think hers is too. The more positive signs I see the more excited I get!

·
Super Moderator
58,855 Posts
Guess you did have a busy weekend. B Complex wouldn't be a bad thing to give your little one.

I bet you have some very happy goaties with that new pasture.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm planning on getting a few people bottles of capsuled Vit E, Selenium, and B1(if I can find it) soon. I can pick up B complex when I'm getting those :) Not sure when though...what will the B complex do for her? If it's just to perk her up I might have some goat Power Punch left as well as some Dyne to dilute the flavor and add calories.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah ok! She's like, 100% herself now, sprinting and jumping around, but I'll make sure to pick that up :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well...they escaped from their new pen. Apparently they are flexible and small enough to get under the fence...so we basically just let them roam the property for an hour or two before feeding time to get their forage for the day.

On the bright side, they got in with the horse and she did very well with them! When she met them for the first time before we moved, she tried to kill them :eek: So I was worried when they got into her pasture...I guess her being in a pen right next to them helped quite a bit :) She walked up to them and sniffed them a bit, and that was all! They were going around her, right next to her, running around, and she didn't even care! To be honest, she's been sticking to the corner of her pasture since we got here, trying to be as close to the neighbors' horses as possible(we are working on getting another horse for her). But today when the goats got in, she was walking around with them! I think she really enjoyed the companionship :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Woo! Well I had a great day :D First, we stopped at a man's old place where he's selling very nice tack at very nice prices. He has like a whole store!!I know where we'll go for tack now ;) Then, since we needed a companion for my mare, I suggested we stop at a farm on the way to our house(that looked like it boarded horses or something). Best decision ever! We ended up basically locking down two choices for a horse, and meeting a very experienced goat owner! She used to own and breed Nigerian Dwarves and gave me so much advice.

I found out that my two pygmy does are anemic(apparently the ivermectin the original owner gave before we got them didn't take), I even checked their eyelids myself and they are pale :( I'll ditch the Ivermectin and use Valbazen as recommended by her. She felt for babies on my does and she said that the pygmies are probably pregnant, and she can't tell with my Boers. She offered to draw blood for them to get them tested for CAE and pregnancy, and even CL through California state. She also said she'll disbud and castrate any babies they have for us :) I'm just so happy I have an experienced goat owner(who lives in town!) to call in case anything goes wrong. It's a good feeling :)

I also now am probably getting a beautiful buckskin 26 year old mare. She looks fantastic for her age! All muscle and healthy. She looks 20...she's even still rideable and strong :) I've never seen a horse older than 20 that looks like that. She won't be ridden heavy at all, just as a starter horse for my little brother. She's like, bombproof and 100% broke. And if he wants to start riding heavy, they have a 14 year old that we can get him, who's also really broke. I can't wait!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts