A friend's Nubian doe is walking on her knees

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by mariella, Jan 12, 2021.

1. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I've been trying to help my friend with this goat for a few months now and we are both stumped.
    My friend got this girl from a lady back in May 2020, they told her that she was only "dairy goat weight" and doesn't have to be wormed. This girls hooves needed to be done BAD! My friend got a pair of hoof clippers that don't work, I know I tired to use them, and they only trimmed the hooves thinking they shouldn't lop off half this girls feet. They watched a youtube video on how to trim hooves but now how to correct them. She started walking on her knees right after they got her.
    So this girl is CAE negative.
    They don't have the money to take her to the vet and are at the point that they will just put her in the freezer if they can't fix this.
    I got in there 3 months ago and used my clippers and got her feet back pretty close to normal. They still haven't gotten new clippers so in the last 3 her feet haven't been done... I saw her today and with the owners permission took pictures so I could post on here.

Attached Files:

2. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Those are only 3 months of growth.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Some goats grow nails faster than others. It sounds like the owners aren't interested in maintaining her nails. Have they considered selling her and make known her nails need more frequent trimming?

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Maybe dealing with founder. Hooves grow fast and can be very hard to trim. I have a doe i have to use horse nippers on. Founder is painful there for goats walk onn their knees.
    The longer they have it uncorrected the less likely it can be reversed. Only managed. Google founder or laminitis in goats for pictures and more information. See if it fits

GoofyGoat, goatblessings and mariella like this.
  5. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Agree with happybleats, barring a problem with worms that can bring them down (have they run fecals) this girl looks like she foundered - very tall in the hooves. They need to offer a hay only diet to her.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  6. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    It looks like founder in the later stages, She's been this way for months.
    Knowing these people there isn't much they can/will do for her at this point but I will try talking to them, I did offer to take her off their hands if they can't care for her before I knew what it was and I'm still willing to take her and see what I can do to help her.

happybleats likes this.
  7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Try soaking the feet in hot epsom salt water for 15 min. Then trim. Foundered feet are like rocks to try and trim. Why do people have animals if they are not willing to able to care for them, correctly? I understand ignorance- that can be overcome with knowledge- stupidity can't.

GoofyGoat and Sfgwife like this.
  8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    The up keep in a founder goat is a huge commitment. Bi-weekly if not weekly trims..careful diet. With my doe..I dont feel I can even breed her as her feet are so tender we don't want to add to her weight but also if it's a genetic issue..sure don't want to spread that around. So basically we have a well bred. Expensive high maintenance pet lol. She does keep us in milk..so far nearly 2 years. Not alot of milk but constant.

GoofyGoat, mariella and goatblessings like this.
  9. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Right now what we are talking about is seeing if we can get her better and see if she took to breeding (my buck spent 3 weeks at their place) if not and she looks and feels good enough they want to try breeding her in hopes of getting a doeling and then seeing how she does.
    If we can't get her feeling better then they will have her put down. But they want to try getting her better first.

10. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Wait! They let her be in with a buck and she cannot even walk correctly?!?!?! And if she is not already bred they want to try again??!? W. T. H. That doe needs a new home to take care of her not breed her. Like GR said.... you cannot fix stupid! And why would you let your buck go back knowing what they are plannin to use him for if she is not already bred?

11. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    All I said was they want to try breeding her I didn't say I would let my buck do the job. After my sister and I took care of her hooves they said she was doing a lot better so I didn't think anything would be wrong with letting her get bred, now that I know I suggested they not breed her but they did spend money on this girl and they want something out of her. I can't do anything if they decide to breed her again except not let them use my buck. if they let me have her I will do what I can to help her, otherwise this is in their hands.

I'm sorry but what they decide is for them. I understand being angry and I will do what I can to help them but if they want babies they aren't going to listen to me and they will go elsewhere for a buck.
    They are my friends so I would appreciate you not talking bad about them, we've all been through rough learning experiences and this is theirs! Back in the day, I had to learn the hard way too and I thought I knew everything, it took rock bottom to make me see the light!
    If at any point I don't think her quality of life is good I will call someone and they know this about me as well.

12. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    I wouldn’t chalk this up to founder until those hooves can get back to a normal length and trimmed to the correct angle. At this moment, they just look very long and painful to walk on. You can soak her hooves to make them softer and easier to trim.

You have to trim the meat of her hoof down to where you can see pink. Looks like you can take almost a good inch off and focus at trimming the heel.

Make sure you check between her toes for hoof rot. That would also cause them to be on their knees.

13. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I really don't think people are "talking bad " about your friends... I think comments are made out of concern. If she cannot walk on her own, she cannot safely carry kids to term, which can lead to loss of kids, and loss of the doe. I understand she is not yours anymore, but they need to pinpoint the problem, and spend the time and perhaps the money required to get her in good health. It's very difficult at times to say things to our friends that need to be said, but the concern should be for the doe and her well being. Frankly if she is bred and problems cant be correct shortly, I would lute her and not expect her try to carry kids when she can't even carry herself.

AlabamaGirl and NigerianNewbie like this.
  14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California