A funny goat story

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Sep 3, 2009.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I got home from visiting my new kid Penny and I had a very urgent message on my answering machine. My friend Kathy has 2 bucks that just showed up in her yard around 4 today...she has 2 pygmy/nigi does and was frantic because the one buck broke into her girls fence!

I went over to find a Nigi buck that I estimated to be around 9-12 months old and a nubian mix buckling that looks to be around 2-3 months old. The nigi buck has a white tag in his ear that I assume is a scrapie tag, the little nubi has a metal tag imprinted with "meat" on it. I do know that there was an auction today about 30 miles away and one yesterday about 40 miles away.....I told her it was likely that a neighbor got these guys from the auction and didn't know how to keep them. I checked ears for tattoos and found none, her fear was that the nigi buck got her girls...of course I checked and each girl didn't look "used" so she breathed a sigh of relief!
    She has been going to the neighbors asking about where these guys came from with no luck....I told her to call animal control.....her hubby is not happy at all about this either. I don't know what more to do to find the owner, I can't keep them here and she has no place for them either except the dog box and she fears them getting hurt or preyed on by the coyotes around.
    Any ideas for a qwick fix if animal control won't help?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm -- take them back to the auction? :shrug:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That would have been an option, but the next ones aren't for another week, by then they could end up being somethings dinner....or worse, I could be elected to wrestle the nigi AGAIN to try and band him.....the little nubi is really cute but bony and my friends daughter just fell in love with him so he could be banded as he is real young.....but the nigi, well he's very jumpy and though nice looking, he is all buck!

4. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Might put a found ad on craig's list.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    banding them either way would be a good option even if animal control takes them....would help them get a better home more then likely

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I thought the very same thing, besides not knowing the parentage, banding would be best.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If it has a scrapies tag...I would maybe... try to call ...your states scrappies office... that issued it.......they may be able to... locate the owners.....at the time ...the tags where issued.... :wink:

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The unfriendly buck has a white tag with a large "US" at the top, a line of numbers at the bottom beginning with "OH" the inside of the tag has I believe a manufactures letters on it...with a date of 2007 in a circle.......are scrapie tags issued yearly or can pre made ones be bought and then registered with the government? This buck actually looks younger than my year and a half old boy....at least going by horn and testicle size.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    with Scrapies tags..... it usually has the herd prefix letters then number 001 and so on.....I am not sure ....what kind of tags those are..... :scratch: Maybe call the auction yard and ask them if they know .....where those tags come from...I have never seen them like that before.....

but yet ...."US" ....does tell me ...that it has something to do with ...the Government of some sort....

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

before you band them i would try and locate the owners. just in case that nigie was intended to be a buck. Contact animal control and go from there. If you have a couple of stock panels you can make a quick pen off the side of a barn or shed.
    beth

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am hoping that the owner was found, the one person we thought would have gotten them wasn't home when my friend went to ask.... :sigh:

12. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I think OH is Ohio. All grade goats in Ohio have a premises number and their number starts with the letters OH.

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Here's the tag number OHU74144

Animal control just laughed at my friend and offered no help, I got them to another farm willing to care for them. The nubi baby is a cross, he does not have a roman nose at all but does have these gorgeous long and wide ears....and was pitifully skinny, the nigi buck was in better condition but you could see the evidence of laying in filth on his testes as well as his hind legs :greengrin: They got a dose of probiotics and bedded down in the barn.

14. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Yep...the ones from Ohio. Glad you found them a home! :greengrin:

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well...these guys are doing great! It's been 2 weeks and nobody has "lost" goats...at least no one has come forward.
    Both were banded, all going great in that area, the little nubi had 2 small bumps behind his ribcage, just below his spine , moveable but hard. Of course taking safety measures, I tapped them and going by the location, figured they were thorns....well, the extremely green/gray STINKY ick that came from them was AWFUL!!!! These were obviously infection so after a good flushing with gentled iodine he was started on the course of penicillan. Eating great and starting to fill out, both boys were wormed a week ago, and they have good color to the lids.
    This is the nigi...and from the color pattern, I suspect a bit of pygmy as well.
    Salty is still shy, but will eat from your hand.
    [​IMG]

Lil' Red is very friendly and very bonded to Salty
    Going by horn size and general "babyish" actions, I figure he's around 3 months. Poor thing taped at 30 pounds.
    [​IMG]
    They have a very good home now and after they bond to the farm, they'll be introduced to the resident goats.

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    posted same picture for both boys.

so glad they are doing well :thumb:

17. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    That's AWESOME that they are doing so well!! :)

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Fixed and now theres a pic of the little one., thanks Stacey :thumbup:

They are doing well....just need some groceries :wink:

19. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
  20. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member